Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rant about Biggest Loser

not unless the workout clothing/gear was overhauled that the contestants wear. :biggrin:

That's one problem I have with the show. They force the women to wear sports bras so that their belly hangs out. And the men can't get on the scale without taking their shirt off.

At first I thought the men were just trying to get rid of that extra pound by taking off the t-shirt and flip-flops, but that's not the case. I read in one of the contestant's Q&A blogs a few seasons ago that the weigh-in is actually first thing in the morning - the morning after the last chance workout. They weigh-in as soon as they get up but the contestants don't find out what they weigh. Then they film the "weigh-in" that night. How's that for trickery??? :wink_smile:

TV is all about ratings and as much as people love winners, I think many enjoy watching others being humiliated even more.

I will say that watching this season's contestants perform that slip-n-slide challenge the other week was quite humorous. :wink_smile:

I'm a recent watcher. I have a friend I ride the bus with and for years he's been talking about the show. Had no interest in it in the past, scoffed at it, even thought the idea was disgusting. But this season I decided to start and I really enjoy it. I even like Jillian and realize that I need a trainer like that. Yes, they are subjugating themselves but they chose to do so. THEY did. And obviously it works! And it works quickly. Good or not? Don't know

Who thinks those who lost weight on the BL will be able to keep it off long term?

Who thinks those who lost weight on the BL will be able to keep it off long term?

They should do a "Where are the now?" for all the Biggest Loser contestants. Go to their hometown and see if they've kept it off or gained it back. I'd be interested in seeing something like that!

The show probably wouldn't want to do that if they've gained it back!! Wouldn't make them look so great. BTW Donna113, you look like your avatar!

BTW Donna113, you look like your avatar!

Isn't that cool! You can go here to make one:

http://www.meez.com/main.dm

And obviously it works! And it works quickly.

I don't think it works at all. Working to me is losing a significant percentage of your excess weight and keeping it off for at least 10 years. I bet the majority of the contestants are back to being obese, if not MO in 5 years.

Yeah, and that's part of what bothers me about the show. It's all presented as "see, you can lose weight if you just try" but, first, their lifestyle on the show is completely unrealistic. Second, they are doing stuff we know doesn't work in the long run.

So I think it builds up false hope and it also contributes to the bad attitude society has towards WLS. See, those guys on The Biggest Loser can do it. Why can't you?

As to whether I'd go on the show? No. Not the least big interested. But I'd love to go on The Amazing Race. I wonder if they'd take me as a WLS patient? I wouldn't be able to do any of the mass eating challenges though.

Just make sure your partner can ;)

teri

That's what I'm thinking!

I love the Biggest Loser show. I faithfully watch it every Tuesday night after I get home from my own weekly weigh in at my local T.O.P.S. meeting.(take off pounds sensibly) I've been attending weight loss support meetings every week since March this year. Even after I had the Lap Band surgery on 9/9, I still go to get weighed in and support the others there with their weight loss journeys. I'm the only one there who had LB. I hope my slow but steady weight loss will encourage someone else to consider LB. It has been the best decision for me. It's been 2 months since My surgery and I've lost 30 pounds and feel so much better. I am off my diabetes meds and I haven't had any neuropothy in my feet since the day after the surgery.

Those on the show are working out to the extreme and it's not a reality for most over weight people to exercize and have Portion Control like they do, therefore, chances are (as we all know) they will regain their weight. No exercise will rid them of the size that there stomachs have stretched to and they will always be able to hold that large amount of food in them. Only the LB or other surgery to limit the amt. of food that the stomach can hold will have permanent weight loss results. Those who are successful at weight loss on their own,(without surgery to help them) must be committed to portion control forever. Their diet never ends.

I agree completely! But I love the show anyways. I was sad they didn't have one this week, simply because of the election. :rolleyes2::D