Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Difficulties-Need Help!!

Guest Sonnie

Guest Sonnie

I had my surgery in Feb and did very well for first few months. A few times I would eat too much and definitely felt the effects. I did vomit a few times (mucus type substance and some food) but overall was feeling good. I had my first fill after 6 weeks and the weight started coming off. I had my second fill a month later and it was too much restriction. I went in the next day and they removed the Fluid they had just added and everything was fine. Again I was doing well and losing weight. However, about a month and 1/2 ago I started having serious problems. I developed Acid Reflux and continue to suffer nightly from this. I am on Protonix (40mg) TWICE a day and still wake up choking on acid and food I ate. But more seriously, I feel like my stomach is not digesting the food I eat. I vomit almost daily......sometimes all day long. I have spent a couple days in hospital due to dehydration. They removed all the fluid from my band and I have been fluid free for over a month now. I always have a bitter taste in my mouth (acid). Many times at night I vomit food I ate for Breakfast that day. Most days I feel sick all day. Many times when I eat about 10 minutes later my back tenses up and my whole body aches. I am feeling so disappointed with my docs..........when I explained about my back hurting they basically told me that they think I have developed a fear of food and that fear makes me sick and that my body reacts to that fear...........Basically, that it is in my head. I know that there is a problem and I just am hoping someone out there knows what I am talking about. I am at the point where I want to have it removed which just saddens me because I spent so much money paying for the band (my insurance will not even pay for test to help determine what is going on because I chose to have this elective surgery) . I have lost 50 pounds so far and have another 50 to go. However, I have not lost any weight in over a month. I am just so frustrated so if anyone has information, I would really appreciate the support.

Oh Sonnie! I don't know where you are, but you need a second opionion NOW. I mean right NOW. Has you doctor done any tests? or are they just giving you the brush off?

Serious stuff hon, keep us posted.

I hate lazy doctors.

Sonnie -

I'm so sorry you're having so many problems. Vomiting daily is NOT NORMAL for a healthy banded person, and I'm glad to see that you are worried about it.

However, I am extremely concerned that your doctors do NOT seem to be worried about it. Based on your story here, I immediately suspect a possible slip in your band placement.

Demand that your docs check you for slippage - they should be able to tell by doing a barium swallow under fluoroscope.

Please let us know how it goes!!

I agree!! You're being treated shabbily. If these docs won't take you seriously find one who will. You need to have that issue diagnosed before it gets worse. Good luck and please let us know how you're doing!!

Shouldn't Sonnie be symptom-free with the Fluid taken out of the band if it was a slip? At least that was my case. I have terrible reflux and feel your pain. But it should have been resolved with the Fluid being removed from the band....maybe talk to your regular Dr. as well -- not just the band surgeon. Good luck and hoping you're getting well soon. (I did a second opinion when my band slipped and am glad I did...)

Elizabeth

8-28-03

Guest Sonnie

Thank you all for your replies. I did do a barium swallow while I was in the hospital and my docs said the band looked good and had not slipped. I have made an appointment with my regular doctor to discuss this since I don't feel like I am getting anywhere with my docs. I am hoping I can get my insurance to pay for it, but that is not looking good. DISHDIVA, did your reflux go away when all your Fluid was removed? How are you doing now, did you have Fluid replaced?

Another thing I didn't mention that I find strange. Certain foods that I ate after I was banded now make me sick almost immediately. eggs, ground beef are examples. I could eat them before, but now I eat them and it feels like they sit in my stomach all day long........it irritates my stomach intensely and that is when my back feels like it is tensed up. I end up vomitting that food hours and hours later. It just seems like the food is not being digested. I know my port came partially loose and does not lie flat now, but the docs don't seem concerned about this at all.

Thanks again for your replies!!

Have you had your gall bladder checked? A lot of these symptoms sound like what my mother had when she had gall bladder problems. Just a thought

Have you had your gall bladder checked? A lot of these symptoms sound like what my mother had when she had gall bladder problems. Just a thought

Good theory...do a search on gall bladder and see what others have experienced, I know bubbame and jqpuplic both have/had gall bladder issues...I am certain there are others I can't recall at the moment...worth researching anyway. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Sonnie, yes...I had total relief when my Fluid was removed. I had the band re-positioned with a second surgery in March and was fine. The reflux started again after my first fill in early June. My previous experience is that the benefits of a fill subside after about six weeks...if it's not better then, I'll go and have an unfill. Meanwhile, I'm hoping the Nexium starts working. Good luck to you. Glad it's not a slip. (As for certain foods tasting strange now... it may just be "too early" for those types of foods... some foods become more tolerable over time, in my experience.)

It wouldn't hurt to have your gallbladder checked out - mine caused what felt like severe back pain - but even if your gallbladder has gone bad, that wouldn't explain why you still have food from Breakfast sitting in your pouch at night.

I think it is definitely time for a second opinion, and possibly an endoscopy. I honestly cannot believe your docs are ignoring this - throwing up is the NUMBER ONE cause of slippage - and if you haven't already slipped, your chances of doing so increase every time you vomit.

Your band is in danger, not to mention your esophogeal health - the reflux alone does great damage if not brought under control.

No doctor should turn a blind eye/deaf ear to a patient's complaints of being sick for over a month. I am very disappointed in your docs' response (or lack thereof).

Please do not let your docs' apathy keep you from getting this resolved. What you describe is not something to be ignored, or pooh-poohed away. If your stomach has torqued in any way there is danger of having blood circulation cut off, and then you are in for some severe problems. I am not trying to scare you - but really, your symptoms are nothing to fool around with. Do not suffer in silence! Make them fix this, or at least figure out for sure what's wrong.

Elizabeth - not all slips/slip caused symptoms resolve with an unfill. Depending on what exactly is wrong, an unfill may or may not help.