Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Nebraska

Hello everyone. I was banded 10-15-08. All seems to be going well. Today at work we are celebrating belated Boss's Day and we all brought goodies. Our office is small only 5 people. I have not told anyone at work about by lapband so my excuse is that I just don't feel well today. This is killing me because you should see the spread of food that is here today. Needless to say I am still and the semi-liquid diet. Ugh!!!. Still having some shoulder pain but Gas-X is helping. I have lost a total of 15 pounds including pre-op diet. I am so excited to be joining this journey with everyone. Later from a very rainy Nebraska.:biggrin:

Hi Karie,

I am from Nebraska (Graduated from Kearney High) but live in Tn currently. I was banded in May. Keep that will power...it will pay off! I learned early on...it is easier to say no then it is to take the first bit. AFter the first bite it is all over! Keep up the good work...it will pay off!

Congrats on your banding!

Had you made the decision ahead of time to not tell people at work about your surgery? Have you examined how you're feeling when you think about whether you want to discuss it with them or not? I mean, are you fearful about their reaction, or are you ashamed or anything like that?

I basically got my boss' support because we figured it would help me cut down on my sick days in the long run (and I do have a lot of them). :biggrin:

I have no problem spouting off to the people at work about my potential WLS. However, I don't think I'll ever be able to tell anyone in my family. I guess I figure that if the people at work judge me about WLS it won't matter much, but if my family judges me harshly about WLS it would send me into a tizzy. How healthy is *that*?!? :smile:

After all lot a thought I decided not to tell people about my surgery. Only a very few people know about my decision. I feel that it was a very personal decision to have the weight loss surgery. I am very proud to have made this choice but it is still so new and I am unsure how I feel about everyone knowing. I have often wondered how other Lapbanders came to their decision to tell other people or not.

For me...I was excited about the new change I was going to endure and most of the people who I work with have seen me struggle up and down for years (been in job 7yrs). Although, NOT everyone was supportive. The ones who struggle with their weight have been the least commentive/supportive about it. I also see others with weight problems loose and gain and repeat the viscious cycle I have been on. I hope to be encouraging for those when they see I can keep off the weight with the band. So far, I don't regret telling a soul!! Your right telling is not for everyone.

OMG! Why are you back at work in less than a week? I was banded on Oct 16th and cant imagine going back to work yet. I took a week off to heal and adjust. I need that. I told everyone. I have had a lot of people give me negative feedback about it, but I couldnt care less. The negative people were the one show dont have a weight problem or dont have a serious one. They have no idea what it is like for me. I think they are scared of losing their eating partner. Too bad. Maybe in a few months, I wont be the fattest person in the group. I cant wait to get past 2 week mark, so I can have soft foods and feel somewhat normal. Good luck to you.

There was a post-op lady in our group at the Support Group meeting last night who had the surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday with no problems. She has a desk job, which means sitting on her dupa almost all day. Maybe that made it easier to bear?