Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Ups and Downs on Pre-Op Diet

Has anyone else suffered any emotional problems while on the pre-op diet? I did it for 7 days before learning that my surgery was moved back 2 weeks. By day 3, I was a wreck.

I cried at the drop of a hat. Really...I started bawling after hearing a song on the radio...it wasn't even a sad song. I had to leave work one day because I couldn't stop crying.

I was also very irritable...to put it mildly. Normally, I'm a relatively laid back person...but I was clenching teeth and slamming doors at the littlest things.

Last, but certainly not least, I got stupid. Really stupid. I would lose my train of thought mid-sentance and frequently walk into a room without any idea why I'd entered.

In general, the word I'd use to describe my emotional state during this pre-op diet is rollercoaster...without the ups.

Oh, there were physical effects. I lost 6 pounds in four days. I was shaky, nauseus, and cold all the time. But I expected most of that. The emotional symptoms caught me completely off guard.

I kept track of what I was eating and realized that I wasn't eating nearly enough. I know the idea is to lose weight, but 500 calories a day is simply not enough.

Although I was really bummed that my appointment was moved, I am seeing it now as a chance to capture the lessons learned and do it right the next time...which starts Thursday, 10/23.

Lessons Learned:

1. Buy Protein powder! I picked up Ultimate Nutrition Protein Isolate in chocolate creme at GNC. It was $19.99 for 57 servings. It tastes great and mixes up pretty well. I'm going to pick up vanilla before the 23rd so I can mix it with juice (I'm allowed a few cups a day).
  2. Start the day with a Protein shake. Do not attempt to survive on a cup of sugar free fat free yogurt.
  3. Eat every 3-4 hours. I ended up going 5-7 hours between "meals" because nothing sounded good to me. I will force myself to consume SOMETHING every few hours to keep myself from getting shaky.
  4. Take a Multivitamin. Every day. I bought chewable ones since I won't be able to swallow the traditional, massive Multivitamins.
  5. Don't cook for the family. During these two weeks, they're on their own. Not that I cook a lot for them...but making eggs and toast every morning for my son was torture. Coming home to the smell of garlic bread had me ready to gnaw off a limb and eat it.
  6. Along those same lines...avoid family meals if at all possible. I will be spending a lot of evenings at the library.
  7. Have a plan for how you'll spend your time, when you'll eat, and what you eat.

Here's my plan (yes, this is more for me than for you):

My son has karate or cub scouts on Tuesday and Thursday evening. Even if I don't take him...we don't eat a "normal" dinner on those nights. It's just sammiches or Soup and we don't usually eat it together.

I have therapy on Wednesday nights...which means I'm not home til after 7. That gives the boys plenty of time to clean up dinner.

This Friday will be a challenge...but we usually go grocery shopping on Friday nights. On the way home, we pick up fast food (I know, I know). I am planning on picking up a bowl of Soup from Panera. That way I can feel like I'm eating out without messing up the diet.

We play D&D on Saturdays with a group of guys. We don't snack at the table (everyone has a weight issue) and dinner is pretty solo.

This coming Sunday, we're spending most of the weekend at the local zoo "Spooktacular." Costumes and animals...and $8 hot dogs. We never eat at the zoo and you can bring your own food. So I plan on eating beforehand, bringing protein Water, and a cup of Soup at Hand.

Next Monday, I've got another appointment in the evening. Which means I won't have to watch the boys eat whatever delicious, carby-goodness they plan on preparing.

I am taking off Halloween to go to my son's fall festival at school. I know that sounds like torture, but the parents really don't get to eat much at these things. I plan on eating right before hand, bringing protein Water, and eating right after.

We're having family portraits taken on the 2nd. That will be a challenge because we're going to a friend's house where there will be food and schmoozing. Thankfully, my husband hates this woman and the visit will be brief. I've never been so happy about his feelings toward her.

The following Monday will be the hardest night for me since we have absolutely no plans. I'll have to book a client call or something for that evening. If not, I may go to the library to work instead of doing it at home while the boys eat.

Whew...I feel like I wrote a book here. :biggrin:

If you made it this far, I'd love to know if you had/are having emotional issues during the pre-op diet and if you have lessons learned to share with us.

Sorry to hear that your surgery was rescheduled. The support staff at the bariatric center I attend states that while on the pre-op and after the surgery our eating habits (crutches) change significantly. Comfort food we relied on to get us through our moments are no longer available to us.

I am on the pre-op diet now, as my surgery is on November 11. It is a struggle. My stomach is growling so loudly that I am almost sure that my co-workers can hear it from their offices. :biggrin: And Halloween candy is throughout the building making it even more of a challenge.:smile:

Anyway, I have felt distracted, angry, and very moody as well. I am tired and the only thing that is getting me through this is knowing that I will not be on a strict liquid diet the rest of my life.

I like your plan and you are focus. No doubt you will come through this a stronger person. Best wishes.

Hi!

Yep, I had them, too, though not quite to that extreme. I had to do it for a full 14 days before surgery.

Day 1 -- Went by easy as pie....

Day 2 through 4 -- Was like they say crashing from hardcore drugs feels. I couldn't move off the couch. I was sick, had a massive headache, was weak, had mild sweats, I couldn't think straight, was very irritable -- total withdrawal symptoms.

By day 5, that had cleared up all except for the mental fogginess, slight nausea, and weakness. I almost passed out trying to mow my postage stamp of a lawn and had to ask my brother to come and do it for me.

The remainder of my time was spent doing what little housework I could and going to work.

My biggest challenge was that the 700-800 calories supplied by the diet wasn't quite enough to keep my blood sugar up. I'm hypoglycemic, and spent the two weeks in a state of constant low blood sugar, on the verge of it totally dropping completely.

Now that the surgery is over, the last 6 days haven't been so bad. My appetite only just came back yesterday, and the shakes tend to last longer than they did before the surgery -- though I'm still quite hungry. Thankfully, the nutritionist at my clinic said I can move on to the full liquid diet tomorrow. Cream of Mushroom Soup, here I come! Woo hoo!! :biggrin:

I'm definitely using this time to reprogram the way I think and eat, though. The diet has really helped in the way of preparing for the next 2 phases of the diet, and I'm really not craving things I used to.

The pre-op diet is hard, but it'll be worth it in the long run. And after the surgery, a lot of those symptoms you're having will fade.

Tara

Edited by tkcuvelier

Thanks for sharing your stories. I know how very important the pre-op diet is...both for my body and my mind.

Honestly, I am not nearly as worried about the post-op diet. I'm kinda counting on not wanting to eat as much...that's the whole point, right?