Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who can still eat whatever they want?

I was banded on 9/16/08 with a 10cc band which contained 3.5cc.

On 10/7/08 I got my first fill, increase to 4.5cc.

On 11/6 I got my second fill to 5.5 cc.

I have lost 29 lb total.

I can eat what I want. I have had one unpleasant moment with roasted turkey that lasted just a couple of minutes but was painful.

In the last 7 weeks I have made a real effort to eat Protein first, greens and vegetables second, and then carbs. I have eaten tilapia and salmon several times a week because I want to make this work. I have had a sliver of cake maybe 3 times -and I mean a sliver - because of social situations. Mostly, I try hard to eat a lot of variety: cauliflower, mushrooms, broccoli, spinash, things I dont love but are good for me. I buy organic food, and if I have a turkey sandwich, its hold the mayo and only one slice of cheese.

And, I have a dog who is getting a lot of workout. We walk at least 3 miles a day. I am starting pilates 3x a week next week - had to take a break to heal) and in another 30lb, I am going to start riding 3, 4x a week again. I also have an agreement with a friend with whom I will be going to NZ next year to go and start doing little hikes weekly. I totally agree with Jachut and others that exercice is going to make a difference.

In the meantime, I can eat everything but I am working on my head hunger not to, and instead focus on what is good for my body.

I had surgery 9-25. I can pretty much eat anything if I take small bites & chew a lot. I had my 1st fill last wk & can see the difference in the amount it takes to fill me. I can eat a few oz of Protein & be good for hours some days. I am working on the "head hunger" too.

Edited by heidib

Why in heck would you eat a footlong sub after lap band surgery? WE all know that this is only a tool and that we still have to do all the hard work of controlling what we put in our mouths. I 'm not banded yet so I'm not trying to be judgemental but i know that I am on the liquid diet now and could eat a horse but I won't...this is too important for me to just not do what I know I need too...no one ever died froom being a bit hungry ( at least that's what I tell myself!! Don't get started with the bad eating habits so soon out of surgery or I'm worried that you will not succeed with your goals. Best of luck Eydie

I thought I was the only one that is able to eat anything after the first month and I started to feel better I was able to eat any and everything. I lost maybe 12lbs the first month and since only 2lbs or less. I asked the doctor about my still being able to eat. He is no help! I use will power to not eat although I'm hungry and my stomach makes noise. I am hungry everyday and disappointed too. :thumbup:

Soory that your doc is no help. I don't think mine is going to be much help either. I guess we will have to get our support from online and other support groups. Have you tried obesity help.com? They have a great lap band forum too? Eydie

I was banded on 9-9-08. I had my first fill six weeks later 10-20--08. So far I have 3 cc in a 10 cc band with little to no restriction. I go in for my next fill on 11-17-08. My docotr said it might take him three more times to find the "sweet spot" but right now I could eat ANYTHING if I let myself. I stick to the rules that the doctor said...Protein first, Water (try to have at leat 80 oz a day no more than 100 oz), exercise, and NO snacking. So far I have lost a little over 40 pounds but can't wait until I have a little restriction to help with the hunger:angry_smile:

I GOT BANDED 7/9/08 AND I HAVE 5.5CC IN A 10CC BAND AND I CAN EAT ANYTHING, I AM STARTING:confused: TO THINK I PICKED THE WRONG WLS. MY DOCTOR KEEPS TELLING ME I SHOULD HAVE RESTRICTION AND HE WONT GIVE ANY MORE FILLS. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.:D

I was banded on 10/23 and I can eat almost anything in moderation (don't tell my doctor, I sapposed to be on a low carb). I certainly don't eat as much as I used to. It's only less than 3 weeks so I haven't had a fill yet.... We'll see.

I have not had much trouble with what I eat, assuming of course that I eat is slowly and chew it well.

I am able to eat bread and Pasta, bread usually has to be toasted, but now always, and I only eat muligrain.

After each fill it takes my about 2 days to be able to eat anything of substance again without getting sick then I feel fine.

Kmorrow, that has to be very frustrating...do you have to wait another few weeks for a fill or your doctor won't give you any more fills at all? Are you still sticking to your eating plan or is it hard since you don't have restriction?

I've only had my band since 10/24, so I'm on day 2 of soft/mushies, but I thought the beauty of the band is that you could eat whatever you wanted, but in reduced portions? The band will cause fullness, so you won't overeat. Is this not the case?

That is the general idea but in order to get the desired result you need to get your band filled. Once you start getting the band filled, the opening to your lower stomach becomes smaller and smaller as the band closes in. Most people get to a point that they have limitations on certain foods that can't be chewed to liquid. Common food items people have trouble with: Tough meats - chicken and beef specifically. Pasta, rice, and bread. Fibrous fruits and veggies like apple skins, celery, asparagus, and pineapple.< /span>

BRAVO BRAVO(whistling) Great post!!! this is exactly what im learning ;):cool:

Agreed! Jachut's posts are so informative! She was one of my biggest inspirations when I started this process!!

Well I DID try a bit of bread today and guess what- it got stuck and HURT! It was grilled bread. I ordered a chicken sandwich on grilled bread, and only ate the grilled chicken breast inside, which is better for you anyway, but now I know!

LOL!!! thats what i dooooo!!!! I eat only the inside of anything , and CHEW CHEW CHEW