Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet Question

I am new to the board and I was scheduled today to be banded on November 17th. I am a 5'9, 275 lb male with severe sleep apnea and NASH (non-alcoholic hepatitis) There was NO discussion about pre-op diet, just that I would meet with the doc the week before, and do labs etc for pre-op. My liver is enlarged and my bmi is 40, does everyone have a pre-op diet, or am I not big enough to have to worry about it? I am concerned that I will not get this done on time. Can someone fill me in on pre-op diets and whether everyone has to have one ( I would assume my liver size would need to shrink) Maybe Restless Monkey can help because it is the same doctor. Maybe they will call in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Dr. Cavazos

San Antonio

Texas Center for Medical and Surgical Weight Loss

Most doctors do want people to try to shrink their liver. Some people do Protein shakes for Breakfast and dinner and meat and veggies for dinner.< /p>

I would call your doctor and specifically ask him if he wants you on a pre op diet.

Hi Falcon....l didn't have to do a pre-op diet either...all my Dr asked was that we not gain any weight before surgery. He stated that his practise does it this way bec they found that most people didn't do the pre-op diet...l know all Drs are different...go by what yours says

I was on a pre-op diet for only two days prior to surgery....my bmi was 41 and I was on Clear Liquids for two days, Jello, popsicles, clear broth...absolutely nothing solid. Like all the advice on this thread, each doctor has a different way of approaching the surgery day. Good luck on yours.

My Dr. has ALL his patients do the Medifast pre-op diet. I did it for 2 weeks, lost 15 lbs and my surgery was a huge success and lasted only 15 minutes.

I start my 1 week pre-op diet tomorrow. :biggrin: I am scared to death that I am going to be starving to death!! I am going to do my best. I plan on doing Protein shakes, broth, sf ff pudding, sf Jello and lots of no cal fluids. I just don't know how this is going to sustain me. :tongue2: I will be glad when my surgery day is finally here.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to feel satisfied on a liquid diet, I would love to hear about it. :crying:

Falcon,

You may be one of the lucky ones that don't have to do a pre-op diet.

Michele,

I haven't been banded yet- havent even seen the surgeon. But my doctor does demand a 6 month supervised diet. (Only 1 doctoer in 200 miles takes my insurance.) So I decided to spend one week each month on just liquids so it won't be a big deal when I had to do it.

First thing-- drink something nourishing every two hours, I had broth or Tomato Soup or a Protein shake. By having "meals" so often, the body doesn't have a lot of time to get hungry.

I didn't make it the whole week. I got so hungry I just had to eat something. So one day I ate shrimp, another I ate two rolls of string cheese. Since they were pure Protein, they didn't affect the weight and Water loss.

I didn't think of SF Jello, pudding or popsicles. They might make it so I can go the whole week without cheating. I mostly did Protein drinks, broth and Soup. Plus I drank 3-4 quarts of Water a day. Drinking water when I felt hungry helped a lot.

mindwing