Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

some food ideas

Guest j. lynn

Guest j. lynn

Someone asked me what I do to get my Protein in.

I have refried Beans alot if I go out to lunch at a mexican place. I have eggs and cheese alot in salads or a hard boiled egg for Breakfast -- great for on the go. I am pretty lucky in that the only food I don't tolerate well is raw carrots by themself. In a salad, they are fine...but not by themselves raw.

I have a lot of variety. I can cook chicken lots of ways - marinades (italian dressing, mesquite, teriyaki ones that you can buy in stores), sometimes I'll just brown the chicken and mix it with salsa and a little bit of cheese - tastes like the insides of a quesadilla. I'll grill chicken and use barbeque sauce. That adds calories, but not a large amount of calories. Sometimes, I'll go to the store and buy their fried chicken (just a piece or two since it's just me) and I'll refrigerate it. Then I'll have it for lunch or dinner the next day cold without the skin. It may be higher in fat than just browning chicken, but it's still good.

I don't usually cook casseroles - makes too much for 1 person, but I have a casserole that I'll make with chicken occasionally that freezes kind of well.

I don't know what your level of restriction is, but make sure you eat the chicken in dishes first, then veggies. I notice that I feel full alot quicker if I eat the chicken, then the veggies instead of veggies then chicken.

Maybe 2-3 times a week, I'll have a frozen dinner. Either one of the Weight Watchers SmartOnes or a Lean Gourmet one. I won't eat it if it has more than 300 calories in it. Most of those have at least 10, if not 15 or more grams of Protein. They're pretty cheap too - less than $2.00.

Sometimes I'll have lunch meat - sliced ham is my favorite. Just roll it around a slice of cheese and that will have lots of protein. Quick and easy.

What do the rest of you do for food? Let the good ideas flow...

I just tried a yogurt smoothie. (Im only on liquids) I used vanilla yogurt 4oz., a 1/2 cup skim milk, vanilla extract (just a little) and ice cubes. it was REALLY good!

Jayme,

you gave WONDERFUL ideas! I love the one with the chicken in the salsa/cheese - sounds yummy!

Here's another chicken idea... I spray pam in a skillet & brown my chicken tenders with lemon pepper. We either eat the chicken this way, with veggies on the side - Or cut the chicken up and mix it into a salad. Either way - its another chicken idea!

My food ideas are boring compared to yours - Great thread!

hey everyone,

my family is italian, so i am and will always be addiacted to Pasta. so i figured, if i'm going to eat it, i'll be smart about it. I but alot of whole wheat or whole grain Pasta and i make it fresh when i have the time.

one of my favorite recipes is to cook up some pasta then in a seperate pan cook up

1lb of skinless chicken breast

2 cloves of garlic

1/2 a white onion minced

then when the chicken is cooked 3/4 of the way add

2 cans of cream of broccoli Soup (make it with chicken stock instead of milk for more flavor)

so let this sauce start to simmer

to make the sauce a little thicker, i add 1/2 a cup of shredded fat free chedder cheese and let it melt in.

its really good...and if you make the sauce with chicken stock as aposed to milk, your cutting the fat and calorie intake

when i make this i always make a big green salad and cut up vegtables on the side.

enjoy all

iamcanadian25

Yummy food-

Today I had my friend over for some lunch and scrap booking and made a tuna Nicoise salad-

Field Greens

Fresh Tuna- seasoned with salt/pepper- grilled with a little olive oil and chopped

Fresh green beans- steamed until bright green- plunged in cold h20-

Hard boiled egg- chopped

Roma Tomatoes- sliced

Calamata olives- chopped

Red Potatoes- lightly boild- cooled and quartered

Bleu Cheese- a little sprinkle on top

Paul Newman's Lighten Up Honey Mustard dressing-

Light and great for a summer lunch- it's all I've had today and still full-

Another great mushie/solid treat is The new Sugar free/fat free Lemon pudding mix- made with skim milk- layered in a parfait glass with fresh blueberries and crushed gingersnaps.

I think I can handle this band- feeling good- only down a couple more lbs since I started mushies/solids- but walking, Water and Protein are my new friends- Well and of course all of you too!!

Rock On Bandsters-