Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a simple question ?

Do you stop drinking fluids 30min befor eating and an hour after?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you stop drinking fluids 30min befor eating and an hour after?

My doctor just recently (last 6 weeks) modified his to be no drinking 15 minutes before, during (meal to last 30 min or less) and then 15 minutes after. And yes, I do that. It's no big deal.

I think if I followed the thirty min rule I would never get my liquid for the day in. Let's see here....drink 8-10 glasses of Water a day...very slowly sipping them (cant exactly down them unless the band is loose) and then manage to make sure I get enough protien and three good meals in...HHHHHMMMMM guess the Docs that thought up that rule never really tried living like that....maybe they just did not sleep! LOL

I think the slowly sipping is just right after the surgery until you assess how restricted you are. I haven't ever had a problem and in fact drank a 10 ounce bottle of Water in front of my doc in about 2 minutes after my first fill and he was pleased. Unless you're sealed shut (too tight) water just flows through the stoma so if you aren't chugging or drinking buckets, it isn't going to stretch your pouch.

OF course do what YOUR doc tells you though, not what someone (even me LOL) posts here!!!

My surgeon's rule is I can drink up until the very first bite of each meal and then nothing to drink during and nothing to drink for an hour after I finish my last bite...it's not too bad. I can still get in all of my Water and it's not that hard to stop drinking when I eat :biggrin: Good luck

The rule for me during liquids and mushies was no drinking 30 minutes before up until 60 minutes after.

After I got on solids, I was able to drink up until my meal but no drinking during up until 30 minutes after.

The no drinking rule was hard for me at first but I did adjust to the point that I don't even think about it. The main thing is to plan ahead and try to have no drinks in sight. The only time I have trouble now is when I eat something spicy.

As far as how we should drink, you do not have to sip for the rest of your life only during healing. Once healed, you should be able to drink normally, if you can't then you are too tight, not vice-versa.

My doctor's rules are I can drink right up to the first bite of food. Then nothing to drink 45 min to an hour after eating. That part is hard for me, but I working to break that habit.

My doctor said to me to stop drinking 1 hour before meal and start 2 hours after..at first it was hard by now I'm use to it.

Wow, now that would make it hard for me to get enough liquids in! 3 hrs times three meals per day is 9 waking hours without liquids. Considering I can't drink an hour before bed (unless I want to disturb my sleep with bathroom trips) and the 8 hours per day that I sleep, that would leave less than six hours per day to hydrate(also have to take out approx 1 1/2 hours or so for the time that you are actually eating without a drink too, so it would actually be something like 4.5 hours). That would be rough!

Edited by Jodi_620

HHHHHMMMMM guess the Docs that thought up that rule never really tried living like that....maybe they just did not sleep! LOL

ha - that made me laugh.

my dr allows drinking w/meals. i don't slam Water or wine:wink: - but i will have sips here / there, a lot depends on what i'm eating...

ha - that made me laugh.

my dr allows drinking w/meals. i don't slam Water or wine:wink: - but i will have sips here / there, a lot depends on what i'm eating...

That method make more since to me. I mean, if you drink after an hour, aren't you still flushing the food from the pouch? Either way, it would seem that you are going to be hungry sooner.

My doctor recommends 10 minute rule before and 30 after. I usually drink till I eat but after I make sure to wait so I don't PB

My surgeon's rule is I can drink up until the very first bite of each meal and then nothing to drink during and nothing to drink for an hour after I finish my last bite...it's not too bad. I can still get in all of my Water and it's not that hard to stop drinking when I eat :tongue2: Good luck

The same here EXCEPT I only have to wait 30 minutes afterwards.

I see my comment made a few waves. :party: Just so you guys know I was half kidding and half serious about getting my Water in. I am a veteran bandster since Dec 05. And I have been really loose (all taken out) and really tight (cant drink my own spit...:eek:eeeww I know) My two docs...original down in FL said the 30 min before and after rule...my new one here in TN say 30 mins after....finding it much easier to accomidate that rule...still both of them recommend small sips over big gulps of water...now being almost three years out I can say that for the most part I do sip...I have trained myself if I take a huge amount of water to only swallow a small amount at at time...were talking split seconds before the next swallow but still sips....I can drink a little faster looser but even with the band pretty loose my esophogas gets fickle lots of sliming:confused: even with water! So YES even after all this time I am still forced to SIP my beloved water:cursing:

You guys go with your bad selves....I say if you can SLAM GULP ect more power to you... I will have to keep on the studious task of obessing saga of "DID I GET MY WATER IN TODAY"!!! :Dancing_biggrin: