Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

crazy questions about constipation and such...

anyone else had major Constipation to the point of being in the restroom for up to 6 hrs a night since being banded? if so, has anything helped you besides otc laxatives and meds? my dietician says it's from not getting in enough Water. she has told me she wants me to limit vegetables, fruit and the only Fiber i can get is a little fiber one Cereal with a yogurt at night. she tells me not to have any kind of bread including whole wheat.

i've read that alot of people on here eat a variety of foods but my dr's office and dietician aren't as flexible. i told my husband i'm not taking my food journal next time i go and i may try to eat whole grain items till i see that i'm not losing more weight.

is everyone else's dietician so strict? 'cause i've read a few threads on here that others eat whatever they want, just in moderation.

any responses are appreciated.

:biggrin:

To me the "get a lot of water" advice is a crock. It does NOTHING for me. I have to have a least a tsp of Metamucil daily, or I'm in big trouble. I also always have enemas handy. Nothing else works for me.

mango24, thanks for the quick reply. i have put Miralax in my drinks but didn't result in any movement. when you use metamucil everyday, how often do you go? i usually go about every 4 or so days and then it's like concrete. i have used enemas the last couple of times but the only thing that shoved it through, painfully i might add, is milk of magnesia. sorry, it's tmi!

I was fine until a month ago. I now juice veggies and apples. I also take miralax. That one will not cause the runs. I drink alot of Water, I mean beyond the recommend amount. Things are better now!!

I go just about everyday. I drink a lot of Water too. It doesn't matter how much water I get, that doesn't work for me. Metamucil is the only thing that helps me. Also, if I take any laxative like mom, it will make me more constipated the next time. So if I have to resort to a laxitive, I double up on the metamucil after.

I juiced years ago. That definitely works. That works like Xenical; it causes leakage. Carrot with a little apple is some serious laxitive.

Metamucil gives me gas so bad I'm crying the pain is so unbearable, so that's out for me. I was having the same problem as you, and talked to my doctor about it. My surgeon said stool softeners are okay, but he would rather I do it naturally if I can. If I get in trouble, the occasional Milk of Magnesia is okay. But he recommended. Prune juice or stewed prunes at bed time. I usually put three or four prunes in a little Water and bring them to a boil and let them cool. They are softer and plump and much easier to chew. If I have them in the morning, pour the juice it makes over some cottage cheese, along with the prunes. It's actually quite good. He also recommended three or four sections of grapefruit once a day. Be sure to peel the pithy membrain off of each section, so it doesn't get stuck. These seem to be the ONLY things that work for me. Both work quite well. Keep drinking the water. Kellogs is making some new all bran crackers now that are not only delicious, but seem to really help me out with this problem as well. The garlic and herb flavor are wonderful. I have a few of them with tuna at lunch time.

candy with Isomalt in it works for me, I eat about 3 or 4 pieces or lollipops a day when i am stopped up and it does me just fine. Hope this helps.

Kim