Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about 1st fill tomorrow....help please!!

So my first fill is tomorrow....4 wks post op, 10cc band. What I am wondering is, do I need to do anything special beforehand? My doctor, as usual, didn't give me any instructions. I know every doctor is different, but I would love to hear from those who have recently had their first fill to see what, if any, special instructions that had prior to their fill. Also, what was it like when you ate the first time afterwards? Were you on liquids, or straight to food? Thanks for your help!

hi....relax...it is really no worse than getting a small shot.

They numb the area and than the needle is put in with the solution. I have only had 1 that was an issue and that was becuase my port had tilted..but since than, it was fine.

My only advice is make sure you follow the instructions they give you for after the fill. very important. If you are like me, I live far away from the doctors office(3 hours) and I dont want to do something wrong and end up back up there for a unfill. Which BTW....I have not had yet....

Relax..and make the most out of the fill. I know that my first fill did not have immediate effect on me and it takes several before you get to that "sweet spot"....

GOod luck....

Traci

You're right... every doctor is different but for myself.. there was no special instructions before or after. I see alot of people go on liquids after but I was instructed to just be careful and chew good at first to be sure it'll go down.

I had my first fill last Monday, I too was apprehensive. It's really no big deal. The only real crazy thing was to drink while the needle was still in me. He put the needle in, no pain at all. He injected 4 cc's and then I had to drink some Water to see if it came up. JUST DON'T LOOK DOWN AT YOUR STOMACH! LOL That was the weird part knowing the needle is just hanging there.

I have had 3 fills. Had my band done July 8. No pain, prick from the needle is nothing. You won't feel anything and you should be able to see the barium going down your esophagus through the banded area into your stomach. Very cool to see. You may be asked to be on liquids for a few days and after my third fill I definitely see why. You cannot eat too fast, glug liquid, or not chew or you get pain. i started out at a higher BMI than you and have lost 36 pounds since July. This is a learning curve of how to rethink your eating and food in general. It can be a shock. Did you have to do liquid diet before surgery and a bowel prep prior to the procedure? Jugazi

my doctor likes to do fills on an empty stomach if possible so i either don't eat Breakfast that morning or only have Protein drinks that day.

i find having a fill under flouro much easier because my mind is focused on the xray screen and not the needle but it is weird having a fill standing up.

when i had a fill without flouro i laid on my back and had to put my hands above my head to stretch out my torso so the port would be easier to access. they spray lidocaine and then stick in the needle. the spray hurt worse than the needle stick!

after a fill my doctor likes that day to be Clear Liquids only, day 2 full liquids, day 3 mushies and day 4 back to regular eating. it gives the stomach a chance let the swelling go back down before starting to eat "normally" again.

my doctor's order are the same as the post above... you have to kinda start over for a few days but it is just giving your stomach time to adjust...

I had to have a de-fill just a week after surgery and the needle stick was not horrible and it was cool to see the barium go down thru the band... seeing it made me feel better knowing the band was good and in the right position...

best of luck