Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pics of scars..R they normal?

post-50801-13813667644192_thumb.jpg

post-50801-13813667644892_thumb.jpg

I was banded 10 days ago. I have 5 scars and the one that is by itself is where my port is. It is really swollen and still not looking completely closed to me. They are all bumpy and red and itch to no end. The port incision is the only one that hurts. I am trying to keep my stips on that one for as long as possible because it doedn't look as closed as the others. But they are barely hanging on, and two have already came off. Do they look normal to the rest of you? Sorry if I am just being obsessive.

Karen

post-242964-13813137773644_thumb.jpg

post-242964-13813137773911_thumb.jpg

Do they feel warm? The only incision I had that looked like that was my port incision. My other 5 were tiny and I didn't even notice them. My port incision was about 2 inches long, was sorer than the others, and took longer to heal. If they don't have "fever" they are probably okay.

I think you should call the surgeon's office to make sure if you feel concerned.

If you are worried about it, call your doc and ask. It's impossible to say for sure online from pictures; we all heal a little differently, so call and ask. :w00t:

I was told by my surgeon that if my incisions turned red or started to itch I was to call them immediately. It really couldnt hurt to give them a call. Good luck!!!

My stitches had glue on them I was so surprised to be glued!!!

[ATTACH]15421[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15422[/ATTACH]

I was banded 10 days ago. I have 5 scars and the one that is by itself is where my port is. It is really swollen and still not looking completely closed to me. They are all bumpy and red and itch to no end. The port incision is the only one that hurts. I am trying to keep my stips on that one for as long as possible because it doedn't look as closed as the others. But they are barely hanging on, and two have already came off. Do they look normal to the rest of you? Sorry if I am just being obsessive.

Karen

I would call your doctor, they look really red to me.

I have 5 scars too, thought Id only have 3 so surprised not only how many I had but how long they are. My port scar is about 4 to 5 inchs long. Mine were all bandaged when I came home, not open like yours and I dont think mine were red like that, but I had stiches all along them and left the stitches in for 2 weeks. It turned out they started to get red bumps and should have come out after 1 week, they forgot to tell me. Mine were small little red bumps that got worse, not red all around them like yours.

They are all obviously a bit red which sometimes means a slight infection. Mine looked like this for just a few days and when I went for my follow up visit 2 weeks after the surgery they gave me a prescription for antibiotics and was told to continue washing them with anti bacterial soap and by the end of the weekend if it wasn't better to fill the prescription. They ended up getting better and didn't need the medicine. I'd suggest calling your doctor just to be safe.

Post op day 3 Mine turned red and warm to the touch. I went to the surgeon's office and had the nurse look a it and she said it looked infected and gave me a shot of Rocephin. I went home and later had nausea and vomiting...couldn't keep Water down. I went to the ER and was in the hospital for a week. They said it either was an infection (MRSA) or a reaction to the band. My site looked similar to yours. Have your surgeon look at it first thing in the morning. I would rather them say it was nothing than for it to be infected and you end up loosing your band.

I was baned on Oct. 3. I have 4 small 1/2 inch incisions and one (the port one) that is about 1 1/2 inches. Mine never did get red around them. And they are all closed up and most of the scab is gone around the port incision, the others just look like a little pink line.

I would definately call you surgeon and let him/her know you are concerned. Better safe than sorry. But remember, everyone heals a little different and at different speeds.

Lone Star Loser.

I agree that you should call your Doc and have him look at them. We all heal differently but mine never looked like more than cat scratches.

Mine did not look red like that either but if they are not warm to the touch they are probably fine - like everyone else has said we all heal differently - my port site scar is the longest and is still pretty red and more noticeable than the others and my port sticks up like an egg but has gone down quite a bit since surgery - I hate it but I have gotten used to the fact that it probably won't go down anymore - I did not get that red or bruised looking so I don't think it would hurt to have it checked out if for no other reason than to make you feel better.

Thank you all. I called my Doc yesterday. I wanted to be seen, but unfortunatley he just called me in some antibiotics. I go in tomorrow for my 2 week check up. I'm sure all is fine if he wasn't worried enough to see me. It would have make me feel better though. Thank you all for your advise and support. I get more answers from all of you that I do from my Docs office.

Karen