Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded for almost 7 years, but new to support system

I was banded on January 17, 2002 in New Orleans by Louis Martin at the ripe old age of 22. I started at 225 lbs. and haven't had a fill in my band since March of 2002. In spite of that, I lost 65 lbs. but have plateaued at 160 lbs. and I know that I could eat more than I should be. I decided to get a fill here in Dallas last Monday by Dr. Maese and so far have lost 3 lbs. The only downside is that I am having bad reflux, mostly at night, in which I wake up several times with burning acid in the back of my mouth and sometimes wake up choking and coughing on it. I did not know if this would subside as my band loosens a little or if I should get some saline removed. I have the orginal 4cc band, and I think that I have around 3cc now in it. I still had 2cc left in it before my recent fill, even after 7 years! How often do most people get filled? Dr. Maese's office said most people come every 4-6 weeks, and I thought that it seemed extreme for someone who only has 30lbs to lose and was not recently banded.

Welcome! How nice to see a true long-timer here! I'm so glad to hear your band is still working for you! I would think you don't need another fill

Here's a great link about that I pilfered from the "staying local: Ireland" board. No, I'm in Texas, not Ireland. But, I love all things Irish and was nosing around "over there"

This MAY help with the reflux...some of the info isn't pertinent to you but if you scan through it, it might be worth it. It did say things like "wash your band and pouch out with Water before going to bed" and so on...stuff that seems logical to me, although I'm fairly new.

Welcome, post often!

Here's the link:

Adjustments

Welcome! A lot of the time, reflux is caused by the band being too tight...sometimes, even the smallest unfill (like .1 or .2) can help.

I was banded on January 17, 2002 in New Orleans by Louis Martin at the ripe old age of 22. I started at 225 lbs. and haven't had a fill in my band since March of 2002. In spite of that, I lost 65 lbs. but have plateaued at 160 lbs. and I know that I could eat more than I should be. I decided to get a fill here in Dallas last Monday by Dr. Maese and so far have lost 3 lbs. The only downside is that I am having bad reflux, mostly at night, in which I wake up several times with burning acid in the back of my mouth and sometimes wake up choking and coughing on it. I did not know if this would subside as my band loosens a little or if I should get some saline removed. I have the orginal 4cc band, and I think that I have around 3cc now in it. I still had 2cc left in it before my recent fill, even after 7 years! How often do most people get filled? Dr. Maese's office said most people come every 4-6 weeks, and I thought that it seemed extreme for someone who only has 30lbs to lose and was not recently banded.

I guess my question for you is, when you used to get fills back in the day did you have heartburn too? I was banded in August and my doctor told me that if I am starting to get heartburn or reflux that it can be a sign that band is too tight and the food is sitting there for a very long time, creating the acid. Have you called the doc to check with him if this is the case? I would think if you weren't having bad heartburn or reflux prior to this fill that perhaps its too tight?? Congrats on your previous weight loss. Oh and since its happening at night at bedtime, maybe you should make sure your eating a few hours at least before going to bed. That way you have some time for the food to digest before laying in a flat position. Good luck! :tongue_smilie:

No, I can't remember ever having this much heartburn (except when pregnant!) before with my band. I am going to call Dr. Maese Monday morning, as I think that he allows up to a week to go back for an adjustment and not have to pay again. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the link! I am going to call my doctor monday morning to see about getting a little saline taken out, and hopefully that will fix the problem!

RestlessMonkey.... Hi Buddy!!!! I clicked on that link you put in your post above. WOW... lots of good information and some good receipes too. You have been so much help to me in my lapband journey so far!!!! I'm glad we were both having ticker troubles and met. I look forward to many more years of friendship with you. Thanks!!! Becky

Hello

Congratulations on your weight loss! I am almost exactly the same as you (age & weight) when you were banded. I'm 21 (I'll be 22 on Monday) and I weight 230lbs. I just got approved on Wednesday, and I'm having surgery on November 11th. How did your body respond to losing the weight? Do you have a lot of excess skin or did your skin go back to "normal" because you're so young? This is just one of the many things I've been curious about and I haven't talked to anyone who was/is right around my age & weight when they were banded.

I hope you're able to get rid of that acid reflux...thats got to be horrible!

Good Luck!!

Congrats on your approval! I had my surgery on a Thursday and was back at work teaching on Monday. I remember taking my staples out of my stomach during a break! The only side effect that I had for the first few months was the loose bowels, or dumping. It would come on so sudden and I would have to run to the potty. Also, when you are used to having so many calories in your diet, and drastically reduce it, you tend to be exhausted until you adjust. Overall, I found it to be minor inconveniences compared to the results. I was a size 3 before having children and then gained 100+ pounds for my first two pregnancies, so I was miserable and not used to being heavy. It took me about 6 months to lose the first 40 lbs so it wasn't so fast that my skin could not bounce back. I of course have some loose stomach skin, but I have also had 3 kids! I have a little jiggle on my arms and legs, but nothing I can't live with. Being so young will definitely be an advantage! I plan on having cosmetic surgery when I reach my goal to deal with the problem areas as my reward to myself for losing the weight! Good Luck!!