Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 Post Op

Surgery Day (Tues): :unsure:As I stated in another thread, surgery day was a breeze for me. I had surgery on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2008 at 12:30pm and went home at 9:00pm. Took a pain pill and slept pretty good that night.

Day 1 Post Op (Wed): :mellow:The bloating was miserable, but I was prepared mentally to expect and accept this. I had one GasX strip about every 2 hours and that definitely helped. I did not need any pain meds through the day. I was uncomfortable, but not in any real pain. It was very different to sip on Water and fruit juice and hear or feel it sort of gurgle as it went through the new stoma. I am not really aware that the lapband is there except for an occasional knot that comes up - like gas - under my chest and then suddenly goes away. I think the bloating is the worst part at this point. I have had no problem getting in and out of my chair, going to the bathroom, or walking around today. Even took a shower this morning and rode my exercise bike for about 10 minutes. The warm water felt really good on my big belly. I took a pain pill before going to bed, and through the night to sleep good. No point in being miserable if you don't have to.

Day 2 Post Op (Thurs): :blink:The liquid diet is already getting old. I've weighed myself and I'm 4 lbs heavier than before going into surgery. IV glucose always does this to me. However, even at this weight, I am 16 pounds lighter than I was when I began the pre-op diet. My stomach muscles are a bit sore, but again, nothing unbearable. I rode my exercise bike for about 12 minutes. My husband made me quit - he was afraid I was overdoing it. At 11:00am, I cooked some chicken and Beans, turnip greens, and corn bread for my hubby's lunch. I enjoyed cooking this and was able to eat 1/4 cup or so of the broth from the beans - tasty! I took some liquid tylenol around 3:00pm and took a long nap. That was nice. I went to bed around 8pm and took one pain pill for the night. I noticed it was already easier getting in and out of bed.

Day 3 Post Op (Fri): :bored:OK. Some people say you can have this surgery on a Friday and be back to work (desk job) on Monday. Well, I would hate to think I had to be at a job this morning! The liquid diet is really old, but I'm becoming creative. I'm still bloated, but not as bad. The gas has gradually gone up to my arm pits it seems and that is more aggravating than painful. I took a shower today and washed my hair. Dried and styled my hair and put on makeup. Yes, I'm human again! I'm making a shake each day using the whey Protein chocolate 52g per 2 scoops. So far, I'm using 1 scoop (26g) in 8 oz of Lite Silk Soy Milk. I can drink about 1/3 of this at a time. It tastes very good and feels like something in your stomach - not the emptiness of water. I am already learning the signs of being full. I have not overdone it yet - I tend to burb in response to the pouch being full. I stop as soon as this happens and wait awhile before drinking more. I can feel my little pouch empty into the stomach - the bloating probably has me hyper-aware of this today. I am thinking, I have just made a huge permanent change to my body. What have I done to myself?! Then I think of all the posts I have read on this site and how everyone has encouraged me to know that you may have momentary second thoughts post-op, but shortly after it becomes the best decision of your life. My post-op weight is disappearing now. I am feeling better and stronger - but still glad I don't have to be on the job today.

Day 4 Post Op (Sat): :tongue_smilie: Doing Great! - I used no pain relievers last night which probably helped me wake up without the groggy feeling this morning. I had renewed energy. I cleaned up mess that had already collected in our bedroom then headed to the kitchen to cleanup in there. Today, I could be on the job if I had to be, but I'm glad I have until Monday anyway. I have walked up a long flight of stairs to get to my computer and catch you up on my surgery. Also, my weight is 258 this morning! That's a big hallelujah! I was even able to put my wedding ring back on for the first time in a couple of years. Pre-surgery weight was 279, so I'm already a pretty happy camper. I am getting up and down with ease today and considering eating some watery instant potatoes (1 or 2 tablespoons). My doctor is not a strict about the diet as some. The gas under my arms seems to have disapated (sp?), and I am able to situp straighter without leaning back - thus able to sit at the computer for a long time. I guess I've been on the computer 3 hours or so now and feel well, but may be running out of steam soon. I have to keep remembering to drink water.

Good luck to everyone considering this huge life change! I wish I could have done it without the surgery, but 25 years of obesity proved this was not going to happen for me without surgical intervention. I'll keep you posted and look forward to joining the "Lost 100 pounds" list in the future!

weight.png

newcreature, I won't jump all over you like a kindergarden child yelling "will you be my friend?" , but that's just what I want to do!!

Your experience is a almost mirror of mine. I am 50, banded this past Monday, and agree I needed more than two or three days off.

I want to drop 100 - 110#. I know this is possible. My challenge now is to figure out if I'm hungry or having gas pains!!

Good luck with your journey. Keep posting.