Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there from Connecticut :)

You've all been such a big help to me already! Reading all of the insurance approval stories has been such an eye opener for me, and has helped me to become more proactive regarding my pre-op process.

I'm going to start a 3 month supervised diet with my PCP shortly. I've got an appointment with an orthopaedist next week to confirm that I have osteoarthritis in my knees. I've got my psych eval week after next. My dietician visits start next month (Nov, Dec, Jan). I already belong to Curves. My informational meeting is on 11/4. I have to attend two support group meetings, one in Nov and one in Dec. My first meeting with my surgeon, Dr. Papasavas, is 12/8. After that, I expect that all I'll need is bloodwork and a cardiology consult to complete everything and have it submitted for approval by the end of January. :frown:

My current BMI is 41.5 and I've got high cholesterol and (almost certainly) osteoarthritis.

That's all for now. Thanks so much for the wealth of information you've already given me...even your stories about gas. :smile:

--Jen

Hey there! I'm also from CT! Fairfield County to be exact. 3-months of seeing a nutritionist?! That's awesome. I had to go through 6 months. I just finished them and now am waiting on insurance approval. If approved, I'm looking to get banded in late November at Yale New Haven.

Let's wish us both luck!! :smile:

Sending good vibes your way! :smile: You must be so anxious and excited!!!

Regarding the dietician visits...the girl at the office said that a lot of times insurance companies require 6, but they can usually push it through with 3. I'm prepared to wait until March for surgery. I work at the hospital where the surgery would be performed, so I don't have to pay any surgical or hospitalization co-pays. WOOHOO!!! :frown:

I'm from West Hartford.

hi i am from ct, having my surgery done at yale newhaven by dr bell, still waiting on date to be band. good luck to all on your new journey.

Awesome. I'm getting mine done at Yale too. Still waiting on insurance approval. But, it approved I'm looking at mid November. I hear Dr. Bell is great. I'm having my surgery done with Dr. Duffy at Yale. Good luck!

hi i am from ct, having my surgery done at yale newhaven by dr bell, still waiting on date to be band. good luck to all on your new journey.

Have you heard anything yet about the date, sil?

Awesome. I'm getting mine done at Yale too. Still waiting on insurance approval. But, it approved I'm looking at mid November. I hear Dr. Bell is great. I'm having my surgery done with Dr. Duffy at Yale. Good luck!

I think that's going to be the worst part of the whole process -- waiting for the approval will have me on tenterhooks no doubt. How long has it been since they submitted your info?

Well, it's going on 2 weeks since they submitted my paperwork. I'm supposed to get a call back from them tomorrow, 10/23 - but I have a feeling I'll have to call them. Dr. Duffy is great, but the center's administration has been a nightmare for me. No call-backs, no follow-ups and when you do call them back, they don't seem happy about it. they seem unorganized. So, hopefully I'll know tomorrow. Wish me luck!! :)

no haven,t got a date yet but i,m waiting on my pulmonary clearance. i took the test last wednesday, the nurse says it takes a week. then fax them to doctor bell office, his nurse will call me for a informative session, i don,t know if it,s one on one with the doctor or what. i know this waiting is something else.my process started in april. good luck everyone.

When you get notice of the info session, that usually means that they have all of youru paperwork and is ready for submittal. The info session is a group session that include other potential bandsters. First they check you in, take your picture, weigh you and put you in a room with the other patients. Then the office administrator talks to the group about insurance, blah blah blah.. then Dr. Bell will talk to you all about the actual procedure and what he expects. It's a very LOOOONG session. This is about the time when they submit your paperwork to your insurance company for approval, in which they say takes two weeks for you to get a call back. Today would be my 2 weeks and nothing yet. OY... I think I may have to call my insurance company directly...

Anyway, hope this helps.

Gosh, that's completely different from how they do it in Hartford! We have to go to an info session, then bring all our paperwork in with us to our first appointment with the surgeon. After that we have to have bloodwork, sleep study, cardiology, and pulmonology appointments. THEN they send in the paperwork.

Sheesh...this pre-op stuff is costing me a fortune in co-pays. :eek:

Wow... yeah, that's completely different. Did you have to go through 6 months of seeing a nutritionist and a psychotherapy evaluation? I had to do that in addition to bloodwork and an abdomen ultrasound to check for gallstones.

I got my call on Friday and they've scheduled my appointment for 11/24. So, I'm excitied but at the same time a little nervous b/c it's right before Thanksgiving! How crazy is that?! LOL

I have my pre-op appt on 11/12 and I'm guessing this is when they do an EKG and potentially a sleep study test as well...

Anyhoo, how have you been progressing?

Congrats on getting your appointment!!! :biggrin:

The length of the supervised diet depends upon your insurance. Mine only requires 3 months with a nutritionist. And yeah, we have to do the psych eval as well (I have mine this Thursday).

My progression is slow. I've got psych this week, info meeting next week, nutritionist next week (and again in December and January), PCP appointment to get my records in order, my weight charted and my referral in place in two weeks, and that's about it for now. Except for the next support group meeting in a few weeks.

I went to my first support group meeting last week and began by getting very emotional. It's one thing to know you're obese, but being in that room was a serious reality check, and it hit me like a ton of bricks (no pun intended). Once I got a bit more comfortable it was comforting to be around people with the same issues as me.

Awesome! It looks like you're well on your way. It's a pain in the arse, but once they say yes and give you the date - you'll finally be able to exhale and relax... :)

I haven't been to any support groups yet. I've been meaning to attend them before my surgery so I can warm myself up to the idea that I will have to include these meetings in my weight loss plan.

OK, so how's it going??? Keep in touch y'all!

Guess what! My surgeon has moved my initial appointment up by a month...I'm going to see him on Monday! Luckily I've got an appointment with my PCP tomorrow, and I hope that I can get my records to the surgeon on time. Nervous and excited! :unsure:

Had my psych appointment. It was kind of funny. :D