Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A link to my Interview

Very nice job Congrats on your loss

Teen's Final Solution for Weight Loss -- Surgery | Momlogic

I was pretty nervous because they mailed me a video camera and did the interview over the phone.

You said in the interview that you had never had surgery before but you have to admit, you did come off as sounding a bit like an expert in having surgery in Mexico.

I had surgery in MX... twice. I'd do everything again in the same way. Until you have really seriously researched something maybe it isn't wise to suggest that it is a bad thing.

I live in San Diego and am very well aware of what Mexico is like. I know a few people who had the surgery in Mexico. They never even asked what kind of medication they were on. How safe is that?

I live in San Diego and am very well aware of what Mexico is like. I know a few people who had the surgery in Mexico. They never even asked what kind of medication they were on. How safe is that?

The same thing happens in the US, your point?

If someone has poor care in the US by one doctor does that mean every doctor in the US is bad? According to your logic that would be an absolute YES.

I know of FIVE patients that had surgery by FIVE different doctors, all in the US. The doctors put their band around a wad of fat instead of their stomach. Does that mean all US doctors are bad? Again, according to your logic that would be a yes.

Your logic is faulty, your research is poor.

My goodness, from what I read she was just stating that she wouldn't go to Mexico. In no way did it seem like she was trying to sound like a Mexican lap band expert. She wasn't quoted saying no one should go to Mexico, was she? Who knows, maybe I missed that part. (okay I just watched the video, but still she was just stating her opinion)

It is your right to go to Mexico for surgery, but it is her right to not want to go to Mexico.

Congrats on your loss.

Edited by 1000words

My goodness, from what I read she was just stating that she wouldn't go to Mexico. In no way did it seem like she was trying to sound like a Mexican lap band expert. She wasn't quoted saying no one should go to Mexico, was she? Who knows, maybe I missed that part. (okay I just watched the video, but still she was just stating her opinion)

It is your right to go to Mexico for surgery, but it is her right to not want to go to Mexico.

Congrats on your loss.

Nobody suggested she had to go to Mexico. She did say she did not agree with anyone taking their child to Mexico and what does she base this on in an interview? That a friend went to a doctor and they didn't ask her what meds she was on. That is not using critical thinking skills, there is no research, and there is no logic. It is an insult to those of us who actually researched the topic.

You know, I received a message from a Mom recently who has a 14 y/o son with a BMI of 52. This child is diabetic and has high blood pressure. She has tried to get her son help for 2 years with his weight but due to his age no US doctor will touch him. She honestly believes he'll be dead by the time he is old enough to have surgery in the states.

What should she do? Wait until he's old enough to satisfy US doctors and their medical malpractice or go where someone will at least try and save his life? If a parent such as this woman watched an interview like the OPs and assumed the OP had actually researched the topic and was basing her opinion on fact they might opt not to go there.

There are many people who go to MX because if they don't they cannot afford ANY surgery. There could well be people that hear such an interview and assume she is basing her "opinion" on something factual vs. "my friend went to a crappy doctor in Tijuana (of all places) and thus every doctor in the entire country is a horror."

It is my opinion that if someone is going to go public with an opinion it should be based on some amount of research. It's just a personal responsibility.

Hollie,

I'm so proud of you. Not just for the weight loss (which is outstanding and quite inspiring) but also for having the courage to share with the world your experience for others to see. I think you did a fantastic job!

you have to admit, you did come off as sounding a bit like an expert in having surgery in Mexico.

My Opinion - no, she didn't come off sounding like an expert....

She sounded like an 18 year old who was prompted by the person giving her the interview to say something negative about Mexico.

When I was 19, I already had a daughter and a husband in the Navy, we moved to San Diego for almost 2 years. I was young and naive. I was told by my family not to go to Mexico because someone might kid nap my child and sell her off. (Yes, I know, that could have just as easily happened here as well) I could see Mexico from where I lived and not once did I cross that boarder. Now that I'm older, I've since taken my kids to Mexico.

Maybe Hollie is just basing her info off what other people have told her as well. Was it the wisest opinion to give, probably not. Am I going to base my decision on her opinion? No, never would I do that. I'm going to research other's experiences such as your own who have actually gone through it. And I think that it's fair to assume that most people are going to do the same.

You know Wasa, I've read many of your post's. And you are always right, you make valid points and you have truly done your research. I guess the part that is so irritating for me is that you are so quick to point out the wrong thing someone else post's and often very harsh while you do it. Give the girl a break. She is only 18.

I personally hate confrontation but I felt I needed to speak up. I hurt for Hollie after reading your post's to her. It would be nice if you could at least show some compassion and congratulate her for the outstanding job that she did do. She really did do a great job aside from the Mexico comment that only shows her age. I don't think anyone would base their decision from that.

Ok so my opinion is my opinion. I'm letting go of this because when I had the lap band, I also vowed to change my state of mind. People's opinions are people's opinions. I actually said in the interview that I would go to TJ. People get kiddknapped and raped and all kinds of crap there. I frequently spend time in Mexico. Farther down and even there it isn't safe. Don't get so deffensive. You are 46, you should know better.

If you know you are so right, than it should be easier for you to brush it off. The same way when people ask me why didn't I just stop eating, I don't get mad. I just know its their igorance speaking. No need to get upset.

Edited by Hollie519

Hollie, I think this is about you and what a wonderful goal you have achieved. You conquered this battle at a very young age and now have your whole, healthy life ahead of you. You look beautiful and should be so proud of everything you have accomplished. I enjoyed watching your interview, thank you for sharing it with us.

It is my opinion that if someone is going to go public with an opinion it should be based on some amount of research. It's just a personal responsibility.

Wasa - I think it is fair to say that there is a lot of good and bad "facts" about having surgery in Mexico. Just because someone bases their opinions on facts that you choose to ignore does not make it an non-informed opinion. There are some great doctors in Mexico, there have also been some hacks that have "made" their own band and screwed patients up. I personally wouldn't want to have surgery in any country where I suffered a language barrier. I also like retaining my rights to sue if the doctor does do something wrong. But, I am lucky and have great insurance that paid 99% of my band costs.

Also, there are doctors in the US that will do surgery on minors. If you do the research you will find them.

Hollie -

Congratulations on your AWESOME weight loss and on your willingness to speak up about your surgery. I'm 47 and have just come to the realization that the lap band is for me. I've never had a doctor suggest WLS to me (which dumbfounds me as I have a BMI of 43 and have had for decades). A family member recently had a lap band placed and that has given me the "permission" to think I can have a healthier, longer life too. I have done a lot of research on it and will be seeing my family doc this week to discuss it with her. So having the insight and willingness to commit to surgery at your age is something you should be commended for. You obviously take your health and your goals for the future very seriously. Way to go!!

bambam