Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how does seeing a Nutritionist work?

I'm going to AtlanticCare in Atlanitc City NJ and my doctor said i have to see the nutritionist and it would cost $500 out of pocket? i told him i wouldn't have that kind of money till next Feb (income tax) and he said thats fine because i will be on the 6 mo diet until about then anyway.

i just read a post where the nutrionist was rude to someone on here.

so what do you do with a nutritionist, how many times do you see them, is it only before surgery? and if you slip and eat something you shouldn't should you just keep it to yourself?

i'm not trying to make excuses for slipping or lieing, i know i have had some freaking mean doctors in the past, and thats why i haven't even bothered to go see one unless its an emergeny. the person that posted seemed to be pretty hurt, i relate to that - i can just see myself half starved - craving a cigerette, and some nutritionist popping off at the mouth at me....... theres no telling what i'd do. if i only have to deal with it once - then who cares!

i was just wondering if you had to see one like a counselor every week for months on end, thats all. who knows i may get a nice one!

Edited by MISS.SUSAN

Lying to your doctors and their support staff isn't going to be helpful. Omission is the same as lying when disclosure could change the outcome. I don't mean to sound harsh but if you are already planning on "slipping and eating something you shouldn't" then it sounds like you are planning to fail.

PLAN on doing the right thing, the right way. Will you be perfect? Are any of us perfect? You might take a misstep as all of us do from time to time but not all of us plan to take a misstep and cover up.

I agree with Donna - you have to be honest about what you do or don't do. My visit with the dietitian was apx. 1 1/2 hour long and consisted of making me aware of what I would be able to eat and how I will be able to eat (more informative than anything). I thoroughly enjoyed talking to her, and was made to feel quite comfortable while I was with her. I also got her business card, and she told me to feel free to call her with any questions or concerns that I might have.

I am supposed to be banded 11/11, and to my knowledge my one visit with the dietitian is the only visit I will have with her. Perhaps each insurance has different requirements, just as they do with pre-certs, etc.

Hello Miss.Susan:

I have BC/BS Calpers Netvalue, which required that I either see a nurtitionist or my primary care doctor for the required 6-month supervised diet. I saw a combintaion of both. If I could not make it to the nutritionist I went to my PC.

So starting January 2008 I started seeing the nutrionist once a month on a Saturday, which was very convenient for me. She documented my weight loss and/or gains. We atlked about exercise, protien and always discuss the banding/surgery. We talked about nutrition and Vitamins, and so much more.

Anyway, my six-months required attendance was completed back in July, however I continue to meet with her monthly because I value the information she provides me and she keeps it real!. :smile: I will conitnue to meet with her after the surgery as well.