Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all,

I am scheduled for surgery on the 22nd of Dec with Colorado Bariatrics. I have talked to a few people who say that they were on pre op diets. The only thing they told me was that I was to be on Clear Liquids for 72 hours before my sugery. What is your input? Pre op diet or no pre op diet?

Thanks for your help!!

Each surgeon is different and each patient is different. If your doc doesn't require you to do more than 3 days preop diet, consider yourself LUCKY! and enjoy! :)

It truly does seem that doctors are all over the place on this pre-op diet thing. For me I am on full liquids 2 weeks prior -- not just clear --- I can have Protein Shakes but nothing more than that, crystal light, broth etc.

Now I have a friend who lives across country (I'm in St. Louis, she's in NYC) and before she was banded she was on a modified liquid diet -- b/c she was permitted to have veggies.

So who knows. I know they want to shrink your liver -- I wish I understood better why people were all over the place with the diets.

YIKES! I feel sorry for you guys! My doc only required a 24 hour clear liquid diet. If I couldn't see thru it, I couldn't have it. I don't know how you ladies did the liquids for that long and didn't pull ALL of your hair out! It is a distant memory now, but that one day drove me nuts! I guess you do what you gotta do in order to have the surgery done by the doc you want. :)

I'm not sure I want to be "lucky", I really want things to go well! Do you think I should be on more of a pre op diet?:)

I'm not sure I want to be "lucky", I really want things to go well! Do you think I should be on more of a pre op diet?:)

Just follow what YOUR surgeon says. If he says to do a 72 hour liquid diet, then just follow that. Every surgeon is different and what one surgeon says about a diet, another says it is something else. Good luck! :rolleyes2:

What is your doctor's name? Is it Colorado Bariatrics or Denver Bariatrics?

Just follow what YOUR surgeon says. If he says to do a 72 hour liquid diet, then just follow that. Every surgeon is different and what one surgeon says about a diet, another says it is something else. Good luck! :)

What is your doctor's name? Is it Colorado Bariatrics or Denver Bariatrics?

Ok, thats what I'll do.

Dr. Brown, yes its Colorado Bariatrics its connected with Pres St. Lukes. Its suppose to be a center of excellance? I liked all the team. I went today for all my nutrition stuff and psych eval, so I am on information overload. Nervous but excited!

Ahhh...I see! I have heard soooooo many good things about Dr. Brown. He does a lot of the surgeries here in Colorado along with Dr. Snyder and Dr. Kirshenbaum. I know exactly what you mean about all the info, they throw A LOT of info at you all at once. Just take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back, before you know it your surgery date will be here and you will be in the hospital with the non-slip booties on waiting to be wheeled away to surgery. :)

Good luck!

Ahhh...I see! I have heard soooooo many good things about Dr. Brown. He does a lot of the surgeries here in Colorado along with Dr. Snyder and Dr. Kirshenbaum. I know exactly what you mean about all the info, they throw A LOT of info at you all at once. Just take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back, before you know it your surgery date will be here and you will be in the hospital with the non-slip booties on waiting to be wheeled away to surgery. :)

Good luck!

Thanks so much! You've made me feel a whole lot better about all this!

You are not alone...I only have a 2-day clear liquid diet and they called it a "bowel prep diet" - I have read so many stories on here with on inparticular where the patient's liver didn't shrink as much and they didn't put the band in....she had to have the surgery again after losing more weight. I am scared this will happen to me...because I have actually gained like 11 pounds in the year that I have been working towards this. I have my surgery on Oct 29 and I have been "kinda" counting points like in weight watchers to lose a few pounds before surgery. I don't know how people do the liquids that long....if I had that will power I may not need the surgery LOL...but once I would quit the liquids I would gain it back for sure w/o the band. Anyway...im in ur boat!

You are not alone...I only have a 2-day clear liquid diet and they called it a "bowel prep diet" - I have read so many stories on here with on inparticular where the patient's liver didn't shrink as much and they didn't put the band in....she had to have the surgery again after losing more weight. I am scared this will happen to me...because I have actually gained like 11 pounds in the year that I have been working towards this. I have my surgery on Oct 29 and I have been "kinda" counting points like in weight watchers to lose a few pounds before surgery. I don't know how people do the liquids that long....if I had that will power I may not need the surgery LOL...but once I would quit the liquids I would gain it back for sure w/o the band. Anyway...im in ur boat!

Thanks for your input... i'm glad to know that I am not the only one feeling this way. Congrats on your surgery. I hope and pray that things go smoothly!

Cali

- I have read so many stories on here with on inparticular where the patient's liver didn't shrink as much and they didn't put the band in....she had to have the surgery again after losing more weight. I am scared this will happen to me...because I have actually gained like 11 pounds in the year that I have been working towards this. !

I believe I'm the person you've read about; if not, that did happen to me. I want to tell you that 1. I started out at 405 pounds, not your average bandster and 2. my doctor put me on a 3 week high Protein low carb low fat diet. I modified that and ate more fats and carbs I LOST weight..15 pounds...but not where it counted, in my liver. When I did what my doctor told me to, in 2 1/2 weeks I lost 17 MORE pounds and he placed my band during the second surgery. So bottom line...do what your DOCTOR tells you! I didn't. Learn from my mistake, please, that's why I share it, but don't take that as a reason to panic or think you must do the same. The point is to follow your doc's orders to the letter, not try to worry about every little thing that can go wrong.

If I had done what my doctor told me the 1st time, (and it shames me to admit this but I am being honest to help, I hope!) then I wouldn't be posting this today!

So if your doc does NOT require a preop diet, don't sweat it! ENJOY and do what s/he says. You're trusting them with your life on the table; trust them to guide your eating for a few weeks! :smile:

I would do what my surgeon requests. Each surgeon has different requirements, but really all that matters is what you and your surgeon agree upon is best for you.

Good luck too you!:smile:

My doc doesn't require any diet, just as long as I don't gain weight from the last time he saw me to the day of surgery. Good luck to you!