Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr said NO mashed potatoes for soft foods, anyone elses' say this?

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

Sorry if I seem a little post happy I just didn't realize how much more I neeed to know!

A ton of people, including the Emmi presentation, said mashed potatoes are a pretty big staple of the soft food diet. Of course I will follow my Dr's orders, but just wondering if anyone else was told not to eat them, is that rare?

Thanks

Sorry if I seem a little post happy :) I just didn't realize how much more I neeed to know!

A ton of people, including the Emmi presentation, said mashed potatoes are a pretty big staple of the soft food diet. Of course I will follow my Dr's orders, but just wondering if anyone else was told not to eat them, is that rare?

Thanks

Good for your doctor!

The idea here is to lose weight, not gain by eating fattening foods that have minimal nutrition.

The carbs in the potatoes are going to give you blood sugar spikes, you'll be hungry, and you'll eat more. Not the plan we are hoping for. ;o)

Hi... I have to agree with your doctor too.... the dietician I saw was complete opposite to the surgeon. Surgeon said you have done this for weight loss... keep in mind to go very slow on the carbs, keep up the Protein. the dietician said have up and go drinks (high calories and carbs) runny low fat custard (high carbs and calories) and potatoes etc. I have had none of those, Iwas able to negotiate my way around it quite well... and have not looked back. I have lost weight through the pre op, and post op, and have not gained any weight....When I looked at what the dietician said to eat and worked out the contents I decided it was a big no no! just be conscious that if you make foods with high carbs your main stay it will be much harder to lose weight... I have to admit I toyed with the idea...but I am pleased I stuck to what the surgeon said.... Cheers and Good Luck! Trish

No, they were actually on the recommended list.

Mashed potato and pumpkin, broccoli and carrot with a sprinkle of cheese mixed through and gravy mmmmmmmmmm....... but yes, it is a fairly high GI meal that doesnt include a good Protein source.

I dont think potatoes in small amounts are bad, but then I'm pro carb. But the thing is with starchy, high GI foods, they DO give you blood sugar spikes. That is if you eat them on their own. Basing a whole meal on potatoes is probably not a great nutritional choice. Enjoying your mashed potato later on with a Protein source is much better, it will dampen the insulin reaction and you can indeed eat high carb foods if you dont eat them in large quantities on their own - if you're not a low carber that is.

If you are on the soft foods now then you need to eat 75% Protein to 25% complex carbs. It should be GOOD carbs though like brocolli, cauliflower, apple, strawberries, basically any soft veggie or fruit (besides potatoes, breads, Cookies, cakes, etc...).

Glad to know your surgery went well. :)

Potatoes were big no no's. Way too many carbs. My doctor warns you too not eat more than 30 carbs a day, even during the soft-food stage. My staple during the soft stage was cottage cheese, which is something I didn't like much before the surgery but I can't live without now.

No, they were actually on the recommended list.

Mashed potato and pumpkin, broccoli and carrot with a sprinkle of cheese mixed through and gravy mmmmmmmmmm....... but yes, it is a fairly high GI meal that doesnt include a good Protein source.

I dont think potatoes in small amounts are bad, but then I'm pro carb. But the thing is with starchy, high GI foods, they DO give you blood sugar spikes. That is if you eat them on their own. Basing a whole meal on potatoes is probably not a great nutritional choice. Enjoying your mashed potato later on with a Protein source is much better, it will dampen the insulin reaction and you can indeed eat high carb foods if you dont eat them in large quantities on their own - if you're not a low carber that is.

I'm not usually a fan of low carb dieting but I do admit to being a fan of low carb during the post op stage. If people have stomach hunger AND head hunger they are typically going to fail and get so hungry they eat anything and everything. If you can knock out stomach hunger the head hunger is easier to deal with.

After the post op diet I'm totally in favor of low WHITE carbs and unlimited veggie carbs minus potatoes, peas, and corn. Potatoes do not have enough nutritional value to make up for the huge carb content. They cause blood sugar spikes and make people hungry as well.

There isn't a fat person around that has/had no issue with white carbs. We didn't get fat from eating broccoli, we got fat from eating white carbs.

BTW... gotta give you credit, a long time ago we dared you to keep the glittery green stuff in your sig and you have. Too funny!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Ok I see now. I kinda forgot about the white carbs, even though I threw out all my bread a month before surgery so I wouldn't gain.

Personally, I can say that I 100% KNOW I gained most my weight from carbs. This is sad, because I became a vegetarian right before my weight really spiked. And it's a very common misconception that veggies are thin. (Most the ones I know are actually overweight). I loved it, I did it for 2 years, and I did it for almost 100% ethical reasons (It sure wasn't for health cause all I did was eat cheese sticks, Pasta and bread! lol) Since I didn't learn to cook healthy, low carb Protein sources like Beans as a vegetarian, I packed on the weight like crazy and I didn't know why until I looked into banding and realized I was a carb maniac. My favorite food was to order a stuffed crust pizza and justeat the crust and let everyone else have the pizza, lol! I could've been a healthy vegetarian, but since it came down to me eating out almost every meal, it just put another large stepping stone in my already difficult journey to maintaining a healthy weight.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me there's white carbs in it. I have a feeling a lot of our surgeon's are pretty fond of a high Protein, low carb diet post op and forever after...I don't think I've talked to anyone on here yet who's surgeon has them eating differently. But wouldn't mind hearing from someone if they are reading this and their diet is different?

Have a good day guys!