Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successful Bandsters Past and Present

I'm pretty new, 7 weeks post op, and wrangling with trying to figure out "how" to eat post band. I know my surgeon says no Snacks, and I'm on board with that. No problem. I'll have to get used to it, but I can. I've quit all carbonation, no longer use straws at all, don't chew gum any more. I don't mind at all not drinking before, during, after meals per my surgeon's request.

However, I'm puzzled. I read on here A LOT and want to be successful for life. How do you eat to lose, and keep weight off, for good? Do you do a low carb low fat high Protein diet? Did you eat differently to lose than you do to maintain? Or do you eat like you did, but just way less?

Honestly, the last option is the one that drew me to the band. Now I wonder if I was perhaps naive thinking I really could just "eat less", like a thin person, and do that forever? I really don't want to spend the rest of my life eating lean chicken and baked fish. I don't want burgers and pizza every day, either, but I do love variety.

What have you done that has worked for you? I'm flailing around trying to find the right thing for me. I'm not restricted yet and that's ok too. It's a process, I'm not impatient, I don't want to have lost 100 pounds by Christmas. Well, ok, it would be groovy but I don't expect it! LOL

Tell me how you do it, would you? Thanks so much!

after post op diet - i cut my carbs almost completely out, just to shake the "craving". i was a lover of potatos/pizza/pasta & cutting them out in the beginning, helped me lose the taste of the chips/breads/noodles for the most part.

right now i eat pretty much what tastes good (what i'm in the mood for), and on most days it's a healthy variety of protein/carbs/fruits & veggies. i'm not a sweet person - but i will indulge in my salt cravings every now & then.

i watch my calories & exercise regularly. i was a bit disappointed in the beginning because i didn't lose as fast as i thought i would - but journaling my food & exercise helped keep me from getting distracted from the goal of a healthy life style.

good luck to ya,

oh,

check out this thread - every stage bandster posts what they have eaten; can get some good ideas:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/share-ideas-what-did-you-eat-today-36828/index144.html

Thanks to you both for your most valuable input! :smile:

I am beginning to realize that I was slipping into a "diet" mentality and that is not good. THis is for my life, and that's what I want. I guess that's why I had to pause; I have dieted successfully, counted carbs, counted calories, counted Beans (etc) and so on and gotten so bored and felt so caged and trapped by the regimen that I thought I would go insane. I don't adapt to it, I get increasingly impatient.

I KNOW what's healthy....and as of yet (1st fill was minute) I have no restriction. That's ok with me; I think I'll use this time to set some new good habits into place. No snacking per my surgeon, chew well, small bites, no liquids with meals, Protein first, then veggies, then fruits, then grains/breads/pasta. I'm going to start to eat now like I plan to eat the rest of my days and if, as I get restricted and proceed down this road some foods lose their appeal, well that's all good!

What you've both posted reinforces to me that I have to find what works for me and it's very similar I think to what you both do..

I can also start now to up the exercise.

I guess it's odd to think of this time before restriction as the honeymoon phase LOL but I feel it's a good time to lay down some patterns now. If I slip up I won't PB or slime (yet)... but I can learn to be a bandster.

Thanks!