Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me make the right decision

I am scheduled to have the lap band on tueday, oct 21. since my last dr. apt i have lost 25 pounds on my own. i now weigh 183 (5ft 10in) and want to lose another 30 pounds. i can lose the weight, but cant keep it off. I notice alot of people with the lap band gain their weight back (carney wilson, al rooker, etc.). Since i only need to lose another 25 pounds, do you think i should have the surgery. is it worth the surgery, etc... oh, yeah its going to cost me $5500 of my own money. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Carnie Wilson and Al Roker both gained weight back post RNY bypass, not the lap band. You have your surgeries confused.

However, you have to work at keeping the weight off, regardless of which surgery.

I suggest you talk w/your surgeon or maybe do some more research, however, before you decide. Only you will know if surgery is required for you, or not.

Actually Carney Wilson and Al Roker had gastric bypass, not the Lap Band. There are actually people who have had gastric bypass and end up getting the Lap Band because they started gaining again.

The great thing about the Lap Band is that it is adjustable, any time you ever start to gain weight you can go and get an adjustment.

If you think that you can keep it off on your own then by all means, that is the best way. I have always been able to lose weight, done it about six times but I always gain it back and then some.

The final decision is yours, nobody can tell you for sure that this is right for you. But make sure that you are 100% ready before you go forward.

I think you need to research a little more, to find out what proccedure does what, you seem a little confused about the diff types of weight loss surgeries. Only you can make the final decision, it is your body all as i can say, that i have not regretted for one minute my band, it is now my best friend forever.

yes....my best friend had the gastric bypass and she is now going to have the lapband. Its totally up to you ...if i only had 30 lbs to loose and i had already lost 25 i might think about trying to do it on my own. HOWEVER i know how hard it is to keep it off and the nice thing about the band is you can have it adjusted anytime so that you have restriction. With the bypass you cant do that!! Good luck with your decision,...i get banded on the 23rd :wink2:

Only you can make the "right decision". Also...have you talked with a surgeon and what not because most surgeons here where I live won't do a LapBand surgery on someone unless they have a BMI of 40 or higher or have a BMI 35 or higher with comorbidities and your BMI is only about 26-28? Look into it!!! I'm not sure if I would have had surgery to lose those last stubborn 30 pounds. I had over 100 pounds to lose and I was doubting having surgery until I woke up afterward :wink2: lol. Good luck though. Also I paid over $16,000 out of pocket for mine.... :laugh:

Edited by rodriguezequal
forgot something

You and I are about the same age, and I know for me personally, I have never been able to keep the weight off - I can take it off but it comes back (with some added). You know your history better than anyone else..... so....... you have to base your decision on what you feel.

I would have to agree with Rodriquez... and others. I would do a lot more research. Although I have not regretted getting my band, it is a lot to deal with for only a few pounds. You seem to be doing fine without the pain and expense of the surgery. Good luck to you.

I have an easy time losing weight, but can never keep it off long term. So, that is what made my mind up. Do your research, and take your time making your decision so that you know you make the right one.

I think you are being successful on your own, you should not do this surgery. Wait and continue doing what your doing. I think you will be happier in the long run.

If you can lose the weight on your own than you shouldn't have the surgery. Why put yourself through this? You're right it is just as easy to put back on with the lap band as it is any other weight loss program if you don't stay with it. Use the $$ to pay for nutrionists long term, or others than can be supportive. There are risks involved with this and even when we go into this 100% sure there are times that some of us might question if we did the right thing. Final thought: you can always do this later if you need to but as far as I'm concerned I did this only as a last resort since nothing else worked over several years. Good Luck in whatever you decide

What kind of overeater are you? If you just don't know when to stop at meals and everyday is thanksgiving, the band will help a lot. If you sneak at candy, ice cream, and Cookies but eat normal meals, don't bother with the band because it won't prevent you from sneaking sweets.

Great job on your weight loss! good luck in whatever you decide...