Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have to do Optifast or will they let me choose another Protein drink? Also, does anyone know if quitting smoking is a specific NYU requirement before surgery.

Thank you!

I was banded by George Fielding on 7/7/08 and he did not require Optifast. I drank mostly slimfast shakes blended with Protein powder. I was so bloated that I lost 23lbs during those two weeks! I don't know about the smoking issue, but Dr Fielding is not really strict about too many things. The other Drs may be different. Who is your Dr? Do you live in NYC? I am in Westchester. I am at good restriction and losing well after 3 fills and 1 unfill(it is no fun to be too full) I will be happy to chat with you. Sometimes it is hard to get answers from the office because they are so busy. There are several threads on this site about that. If you do a search, you can read alot of opinions about NYU. To me, Dr Fielding's expertise outweighted (PUN) any negatives. Do you have a date yet? GOOD LUCK!!!

I am also getting my surgery done at NYU. The big day is Nov. 10th. I had many choices of Protein shakes. I had a list of choices in the booklet given to me by the nutritionist. I am using designer whey Protein that is 97% lactose free and I mix it with almond milk. I don't tolerate dairy well.

The only issue I am having is that the surgical coordinator is a bit ummm...idk. But she rushes me off the phone when I have questions. I don't care though. I always call back if I didnt understand something. I think she might be on speed cause she talks a thousand miles and hour and explains too much at once. So its her fault I had to call back so many times to be sure I understood everything. She had a hard time understanding that I had to have all my pre surgical testing done within 7 days of the surgery in order for insurance to cover it. She got an attitude because I asked about changing my pre surgical testing date. You would think should would be familar with insurance companies enough to know that they may have this 7 day requirement. But anyway, once I have the testing done and get my clearance, hopefully I won't have to deal with her anymore. But Dr. Kurian and the nutritonist were awesome when I met them 8 months ago.

And yes, they did ask me to quit smoking. Its been one month since my last cigarette.

Nicole - Dr Ren banded me, I used powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury no carbs no fat. i have worked mostly with Christina on the nutrition, and I told her the sugar content in Optifast will not allow me to stay on it and she agreed that some clients have trouble staying on the sugary Protein shakes.

Re Nilsa she is great if you email her she gets back to you in seconds but then again I talk quick too and keep emails to a sentence. That place is so busy and Nilsa does ALL the scheduling all by herself and deals w/ the insurance companies. She is just one busy person.

What is Nilsa's email address?

What is Nilsa's email address?

It would be on the card she gave u with ur paperwork. I don't have it on hand anymore or maybe call the office and ask. In general get everyones cards when y go and ask if ok to email them.

It would be on the card she gave u with ur paperwork. I don't have it on hand anymore or maybe call the office and ask. In general get everyones cards when y go and ask if ok to email them.

Found the card! I will try emailing her my questions since it is always so busy there.

Found the card! I will try emailing her my questions since it is always so busy there.

Great good luck! you can PM me if you have any questions.