Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to say hello as I am new to this site. I have been banded for 4 months now and have lost close to 60lbs. I'm struggling a little bit with the types of foods I eat. I haven't really made the switch to low carb just yet. The weight loss is starting to slow down because of that. I go on vacation in a week and I know when I return I will have to get down to business.

I look forward to reading everones posts and learning for all of your experiences.

Talk to you soon!!!

Carbs are bad. Why wait, use your vacation as a new beginning to seize the day. Stay away form the whites, more fruit, more veggies, remember Proteins come first. Are you using a small b & B plate (or coffee saucer), seafood fork and baby spoon. Try the FITT changing one will do the move off the plateau, FREQUENCY,INTENSITY TIME OR TYPE. Do a few days of Protein Shakes and start all over maybe with the mushy and see if that will jump start it again. Sometimes your body just need to take the time to readjust, taking alittle longer maybe. Remember to follwo the guidelines they give us after we had the surgery. Sometimes we need to re acquaint ourselves with these pointers all over again. I was banded in Jan 08, down about 62 lbs. had 6 fills with a total of 6.5 cc in a 10 band. Eating feels differnt whenI eat now. I finally feel a fullness instead of that lump in my throat. gotta be getting close.

Good luck, keep readin and writing.:D

Veggies and especially most fruits are high in carbs. Carbs aren't bad. No food is "bad", some are just more nutrient dense and some are pretty useless nutrition wise. Don't assume eating veggies means low/no carb; even 1 cup of iceberg lettuce has 1 gram of carbohydrate! LOL :D

Darci don't feel guilty. The band is a process, not a race. You're aware, you're working on it. Enjoy your vacation, eat what you enjoy but in moderation, and come home and kick A!

The other poster makes a lot of good points of course! But for me if I tackle this like a diet, I fail. I get bored bored bored with the regimen and all the "drama" of it. I do better sneaking up on it all.

I follow the band rules and I don't even have restriction yet; but for me the point of the band was that when life (like a vacation) interrupts my "diet", things won't go south. I'll be able to go wild a little then rope it back in. I'm sure you will, too.

Either way, best of luck to you!

RestlessMonkey,

You have such wonderful well stated advice. I have never come across a post/reply from you that hasn't impressed me. You are always kind, well informed and willing to share things in an understandable way. As an RN, I just wanted to let you know that I have come to really value what you have to say. Thanks!

RestlessMonkey,

You have such wonderful well stated advice. I have never come across a post/reply from you that hasn't impressed me. You are always kind, well informed and willing to share things in an understandable way. As an RN, I just wanted to let you know that I have come to really value what you have to say. Thanks!

Thank you so much! That means a great deal to me. I try to be helpful and informative, not heavy handed and bossy! LOL But sometimes I think I slip. Your compliment means a great deal to me!

And I'm in nursing school as you probably know, so your praise is extra special to me! :wink2:

Good job on the nursing school. I have worked full-time since I was 16. I just went back to school these past few years. I take evening classes and on-line classes to finish my pre-req's to apply to nursing school.

I hope to have my band on Nov. 24th. My 22 year wedding anniv. :wink2:

My oldest is 21 and I have beening battling this weight for that long. 2 more visits with the 3 month medically supervised diet and then they should be able to send to insurance. I have done everything they have asked. I have my finngers crossed.

I too really enjoy reading your posts.

Jewels68 Thanks! I will cross my fingers for your band date! I too started working at 16 and have mostly worked since then...until Aug 06 when I finally quit to go to nursing school. I've gone part time and have absolutely LOVED every minute of it! I graduate (I HOPE LOL) in May 09 and am ready to get out there in the workforce again.

Good luck to you! It's hard; but worth every ounce of time, worry, tears, frustration, confusion because it is also fun, wonderful, and rewarding beyond words. Let me know if I can ever be of any help to you! :wink2:

Thanks RestlessMonkey...

I have one math class left (hate math) before Chem & 4 biology's. Then I can apply. I'm taking math again (x3) winter, then Chem. spring and biology's all next year. You can only do them one at a time here. Nursing school is 2 years. If I go during the summer 1 1/2 years. Yeah.. My goal is to complete nursing school by the time I'm 45. ouch... That sounds so old.

Are you going for your BSN or ADN? Either way you'll be an RN, right?

Mine is supposed to be 2 years; I just took my time and stretched it a little. I had an issue the 1st semester with the Heptatitis B vaccine (me and 39 other students in that first class of 100! good grief, huh?) and just kept on going at a slower pace.

Anyway, good luck and stay in touch!

Hi Everyone,

I am still in the early stages of setting up the banding procedure. In fact, I just went to my primary care physician today and got the referral to the nearest Gastric Bypass Center for the first consult. I met with my psychiatrist, who told me he would give his OK on the psych evaluation. I have an appt with my cardiologist next month anyway, so hopefully I can get his OK as well. I have seen a pulmonologist recently, so hopefully that wonl't be a problem either.

What should I expect at this point? I am trying to research online and know a few people who have had the gastric bypass surgery, but it would be helpful to hear from some people who have actually gone through the lap band process. I would really welcome your comments and support. Thanks.

Barbara