Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

South Beach Diet Plan

I was up half a pound but that seems to be my trend on this diet. Should drop 1-2 pounds in the next day or two. I'm staying on phase 1 this week. I've been very happy with the progress I've made in the first week and it hasn't bothered me at all to be on it. Can't wait to weigh in the morning.

I dropped another 1.2 pounds this morning. Brings my total to 5.4 pounds so far. I have 5 days left of phase 1 and I'm hoping I can lose another 5 pounds on it. Not sure if that's realistic but I can sure try. At the rate I've been going it will be about 8 pounds total in the 2 weeks of Phase 1. That's a bit lower than I was hoping but I'm so very happy with the loss so far.

Is anyone else still on Phase 1?

I'm not on Phase one or any phase right now for that matter. Good for you Ezma, you've got great determination. I'll have to see if my weight continues to go down the way I'm eating right now. If not, we'll see about some changes. I'm eating a lot better than I was pre-South Beach plan, but not as good as I could be.

Well, I had my first weakness caving on South Beach last night. I gave in and had a small portion of ice cream. Hopefully it doesn't mess things up like it could on Atkins where the weight loss is a very chemical thing based on ketosis. I lost another pound even with the ice cream and I'm at a total of 6.4 down since starting this. I plan to finish up this week and very probably continue it until my doctor's appointment the morning of 11th of November. I really want to make up the weight I didn't lose last month. I'll be happy if I can take off another 11 pounds in the next 12 days. Might be a bit too high of a goal but we'll see.

So, I am curious. Are you still eating a cup of food at a sitting, or going totally with the south beach diet? I have thought about trying it myself, but not sure that is what I should do yet. I still have not had a fill and am hoping to get one on November 11th when I go to see the dr.

I never was told to only eat a cup of food at meals so I'm really not sure how much I eat per meal. There were some restrictions but it was mainly at the very start and that was quarter cup portions. Now the main thing they seems worried about in my Protein portion size - 3oz? I'm not able to eat as much as they want you to eat on South Beach of the veggies but I try to snack on some during the day. I'm getting very close to the same kind of foods I was eating at about 4 months into Lap Band, just no fruit. Sob. I miss my fruit. Don't really care about the whole grains part but you do get those and fruit after the first two weeks. If you're concerned about the amounts or foods, definitely ask your doctor. I didn't worry about it because it was so close to what they wanted me to eat.

I only lost .2 today but I figure it's still down - hurray! That brings to total to 6.6 pounds in 11 days.

Even though I am not south-beaching, I read this thread and encourage your efforts. YEAH Ezma - you are doing so good!!!

Down another .4 this morning. That brings it to an even 7 pounds now. Have a BBQ to go to today and hopefully I can manage to stay on the diet. I should have no real trouble but I think I'll bring an asparagus salad that I know I can eat so I'm sure that I will have some fresh veggies to go with the hamburger patty.

I'm up .8 pound today. Not sure if it was the "no sugar added" ice cream I had last night, the hamburger patties I've had twice in 24hrs or just a normal bounce. Whatever it was, I'm back on track today. The holiday is over and I should drop that .8 and more back off soon. Really wonder how much I can get off before my doctor's appointment on the 11th. I want to get at least 8 pounds off for this month (done) and trying to make up for the lack of loss last month. I would be fantastic if I could lost 8 more pounds in 9 days but I don't think that gonna happen. I do think another 5 pounds is very much in the realm of possibility.

Well, I'm up a total of 2.6 since my low point on Saturday. South Beach is not very forgiving of cheating at all. Hopefully that's the last day I'll gain since I was very good yesterday. It really surprised me that I gained this morning. Yesterday, at the 2 week point, I had a total loss of 5 pounds in the 2 weeks. Gained another .6 this morning. Very discouraged with myself but determined to get that weight back off again. I did phase 1 yesterday and planned on staying on it an addition week until my doctor's appointment. Now I'm debating moving to phase 2. Really not sure which way to go to give me stable, real weight loss over the next week. Guess I need to read the book today while I'm sitting in the medical suite all day with hubby. I've learned that I need a much better understanding of how this diet works. I kept thinking it was like Atkins but I don't think it is. Though I am sure there's some kind of body chemistry thing going on in Phase 1. It's not ketosis but it's similar.

Hi Ezma, It sounds like there are some biochemistry things going on and I make no claim to understand them. I guess that's why I was never a successful dieter because I hate measuring or figuring out what foods are in or out...I love it all (well, except chocolate and sweets)....

I wish you success on this journey.

More importantly, I hope things are going well with your hubby.

Well, for what it's worth, I've gained back all that I lost on this diet. I did it for a week and coming off of it I ended up eating worse than I was to begin with. Diets aren't good for me mentally. It suddenly becomes all or nothing and that's not how I've been approaching my diet since surgery at all. I'm trying to get my feet under me again. I didn't have any sweets today, (unless you count my Gummy vitamins), one day down, the rest of my life to go. :lol:

Hang in there Ezma. I don't know the answer to all of this, but we do have these bands to help us. I'm very grateful for that.

Well, I'm only down .2 this morning, still 2.4 up from my low a few days ago. I'm gonna hang on here and work phase 1 until next Tuesday. After that I'll transition to phase 2 and hope the weight stays off. Phase 2 is pretty close to the way I was eating and want to eat so it works for me. Hopefully by doing it that way I won't gain back what I lost.

Back down another 1.6 pounds with only .8 left until I'm back to where I was last Saturday. Only 5 days left until I switch to phase 2. I think I'm now the only one left doing this but I want to leave some notes in case anyone is wondering about South Beach or wants to compare progress.

The main thing I've learned is that it's just like every other diet for me. If I cheat the rapid weight loss pounds pile back on even faster than they came off. I'm hoping that I can keep them off if I transition to phase 2 which is almost identical to my doctor's diet for me.