Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

South Beach Diet Plan

Starting phase 1 next Monday. I haven't ever done this before, so I'm going to have to read up on it.

Here's a website that lays the plan out:

South Beach Diet food List for Phase 1

Sounds pretty similar to how I ate immediately after regaining my ability to eat solid foods post surgery. Should help me kick the carbs. :)

Been practicing for a couple days and think I'm finally ready to start this tomorrow with you guys. I was having lots of trouble with Breakfast. I had a routine with a very easy breakfast and without that I just didn't eat. Now I have 2 quick things to go to in the morning so I should be fine. Just need to work out the snack I'm going to take to work with me and I should be rockin' it.

Just curious as to why you are using this diet? Is it just another step on the lap band journey? Is it just for convience as they have great recipies to follow? Are you using the new improved South Beach or the old one?

So far, knock on wood, just following the one cup serving has worked well for me, but I know the time will come when it isn't working and I would love to have a back up plan. Keep us posted on how you are doing on this plan.

lindar,

I'm doing this because I am eating more carbs these days than I should be and I wanted to do something kind of drastic to get myself off of them. I did just get a fill, so hopefully the two together will net great results.

I don't feel like I need to diet, per se. I just need to restructure the foods I'm eating. It's honestly not all that different from my surgeon's guidelines, with the exception of whole grains not being in the South Beach plan (phase 1) and they are in my nutritionist's recommendations.

I'm still on soft foods after my fill, so it will be interesting tomorrow to try to work the program and the after-fill diet guidelines. We'll see how it goes.

My reasons are very similar to Shiny's reasons....bad carbs are too present in my eating lifestyle now. On top of that, the weight loss seems to taper off drastically for many of us at about 6 or 7 months post op. Last month was the first month I didn't lose any weight since I was banded in February. I've increased my exercise but I'm still having a tiny bit of trouble with my food. I'm eating the right amount of food, maybe a tiny bit high, but it's mainly those evil simple carbs. Hoping this will do the trick. Keep an eye on this post and I'm sure we'll post how it's going.

Okay, it's the first morning and I'm charged and ready to go. Can I get you guys to post what you're eating and what you are doing for exercise? That way we can all share ideas and inspiration.

This morning I had 1/2 cup greek style 0% fat plain yogurt and later on I will have a small ham and cheese omelet. Gonna also take some veggies for Snacks to work since I didn't have them in my breakfast yet. I found these Jimmy Dean frozen, pre-made omelets that don't have anything bad added to them. Think between those and the yogurt I should be in good shape for breakfast. I really like habit and the same thing over and over again for breakfast.

Just getting ready to start my daily exercise - 20 minutes of aerobit workout and then a brisk 20 minute walk.

I did my T-tapp Total Workout this morning. It takes about 50 minutes. For Breakfast I made a 2 egg omelet with sauteed bell peppers and mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese on it. I was in too big of a hurry and didn't have enough time to eat it all. I probably ate 2/3 of it.

For lunch I had some baked tilapia seasoned with lemon and dill (later thought maybe I shouldn't have had the lemon juice because it's a fruit, but oh well) and some canned green Beans. Only ate a little over half of the fillet.

'm loving this fill. It seems just right. I'm still able to drink Water at regular speed, but I'm getting full enough faster that I'm probably eating about 2/3 of what I had been eating before. Nice.

I'm right on track with my Water intake. The bracelets are really helping!

Not sure yet what to have for dinner. Maybe the rest of this fish. I'm not getting in anywhere near 2 cups of veggies, but adjust it to band portions.

I think I might try a week of phase 1 southbeach as well. It does work and it may be what I need to kick my weightloss back into motion. I've been eating too many carbs lately. not good..

Join us Crystal - the more the better.

For lunch I had 2.5 chicken tenders (which had lemon juice in the marinade, hope it's okay) and two slices of cheese. I had about a cup of veggies total so far today, need to work on some more. Only problem I've had so far with this is that I'm starving. Same thing happened when I did Atkins in the past, hopefully that gets better in a day or so.

dinner will probably be salmon and squash - yummy!

Well, I did pretty good.

For dinner I had some canned chicken breast, salsa and guacamole (I didn't use any fats at lunch, so I used my lunch fats at dinner.) Also some Acorn Squash which I'm unsure of whether or not it is approved. It wasn't on either list, so I ate it anyway.

Then tonight I had some cook-n-serve, sugar-free chocolate pudding made with 1% milk. It wasn't on the list, but milk is okay and sugar free Jello is okay, so I justified this treat. I added some vanilla to it after cooking and it was very yummy.

I also got all my Water in! I need to get to bed because tomorrow starts early, like 5 a.m.!

I did pretty good today too. Was easier than I thought it would be but I'm still very hungry. Keep telling myself it's my body burning up those calories.

As far as the squash goes, I looked it up on another list yesterday since I wanted some with dinner. All squash is fine except for pumpkin. I think you're fine on that pudding since the milk was good but I'd check the package for carbs as there might be something in there that will make it bad.

I am concerned about the fat and cholesterol that I'm getting now. I've had my fat very low until now. And my cholesterol intake was good too. Gonna have to see if I can get that better tomorrow.

Night all.

Well, I'm very excited this morning because I'm down half a pound from my lowest so far. I know it's way too early to tell but it looks like this just might have kicked in the weight loss for me again. Yay!

Does anyone know how much you lose on Phase 2 of this diet? I know they say it's about 2 pounds a week but I was wondering if it is more for Lap Band patients.

Yay, Ezma! I was hoping to see a lower number this morning, but I lost a couple of pounds over the weekend after my fill, so I'm not complaining.

I don't know about the next phases of the diet. Honestly, I think I'm going to do this first week of phase 1 and then transition to what my surgeon's guidelines are. I really dislike the concept of being on a diet. It messes with my psyche a little.

I'm having the same Breakfast as yesterday, hopefully giving myself enough time to eat it. I got my exercise done this morning, doing day 1 of week 6 of Couch to 5 K. Total of 18 minutes running and 11 minutes walking, interspersed in there.

I'll check in later.