Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mini by pass

I spoke with someone today who said she chose the mini by-pass over the lap band.

Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds alot like the switch. She said it was the safest out there and had the best results.

I'm sure everyone says that about which ever they choose. I was just hoping for some feed back.

Thanks

mini bypass

I searched on the web and found the above. From looking at it, it is the same concept as the rny, but instead of a pouch you have kinda of a tunnel or slitther of a stomach. It still has the malabsorption and so on. From reading the advantage over this surgery over the rny is that it can be performed faster...so less surgery complications likely..as they increase with the amount of time under. I would still think the possible after surgery risks would be the same as or close to that of rny. They are still reagranging your guts....still causing you to malabsorb your food and vitiamins.

Melissa

I don't know any details, but I have the impression that the "mini" bypass has nothing to recommend it but its name. Most insurance carriers won't cover it at all, even if they do cover RNY and banding, perhaps because it has a high complication rate.

In general, I think it's bad news. But I'm not sure precisely why. Some help, huh? :D

I just found a 112 page patiant manual for the mini bypass. Looks like sugar isn't so much an issue for them as it is with rny...but fats still are. Still looks alot more risky than lapband to me.

Melissa

Okay I take it back, it sounds like the mini bypass has the same dumping syndrome as the rny sugery.

Oh and I don't know why i'm still reading it...but...i jsut found on the pdf file where the dr is no longer accepting insurance patients. (the yells to me ...insurance companies won't pay for it)

Is that what they call Vertical Gastrectemy? My doctors are really high on those, they do them a lot. Like a RNY but the tummy is like a straw instead of a pouch. Still lots of staples. Still scrambling the old insides.

It looks similiar. Too me they all look very similiar just a differnt place they cut the stomach and maybe a different way they rehook up the intestines.....but still rearranging the insides and causing all the same complications and risks I'm so scared of.

Melissa

Yes I'm pretty sure thats what it is. The lady I spoke with said they took 6 feet on her intestants out. Sound to scary to me.

How are you feeling? I see you just had your band. How long did you stay in the hospital? You must be so excited!!

Feel good!

I see you just had your band. How long did you stay in the hospital? You must be so excited!!

Feel good!

I think you are addressing this to me? If not, apologies for jumping in here.

Yeah, I just got my band. It's really true what a lot of people here say, every day is different. I was in the hospital one night. Some people here didn't even get that and I don't know HOW they've managed. I really recommend the one night stay.

I'm doing pretty good now. Pain is gone except for around my port and then only when I turn my trunk. I think that will be a while to get healed.

I am VERY excited about my band. Things have gotten much better, I'm much more able to swallow more liquids now. I had a couple bad days where I could hardly eat anything but that has resolved itself.

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have more questions!!

The mini-bypass is an old procedure...abandoned for a long time because of many additional problems with it that don't tend to be as common with the RNY. Only a couple of surgeons do it now and market it aggressively. I've seen some really bad problems with it and there's good reason why it didn't become commonly done. It actually has more in common with the old BPD than the RNY and is very distal.

It always amazes me that folks will go with something that the vast majority of the medical community has long abandoned.

Nancy

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6935&highlight=Roux-en-Y This is the wonderful thread Kelly (Dillionsmom) posted a while back. It doesn't seem to have information about the mini-bypass, but I though it is relevent to the conversation.

Alex, it says it's located in the new wonderful FAQ section, but it's closed and doesn't show as a sticky.

Thats what I heard also. Only about a half an hour for the surgery. Sounds to invasive for me I think.