Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which cereals and breads are OK?

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

I heard that Cereal expands and is a BAD idea (and of course, bread is a no-no). But are there certain cereals that are ok? Maybe ones that are corn based and not grainy? Like Corn Flakes are ok, but Lucky Charms (grainy) is bad?

What about bread? Someone told me Rye is ok? Why is that? Doesn't it expand as well? What about tortillas? That's a good, low carb way to make a wrap, but do any of you guys get stuck on tortillas?

Wanted to know everyone's opinion on what they are eating out there. Thanks.

I eat all cereals and breads.

bread doesnt cause me much problem other than it is VERY filling and I cant eat a lot of it. I often cant finish one slice of toast in the morning.

Cereal I find a good food. I have PB'd on cereal ONCE when I ate it dry and then drank coffee. We have these things called Weet Bix and they also come in little fruit clusters, I ate about six of those (in a hurry, due at swimming lessons) and gulped coffee. Ten minutes later we're at Eliza's swimming lesson and they erupted, publically and loudly, lol. So yes, cereal expands but only if you eat it dry and THEN drink the milk!

I try to avoid things like Corn Flakes though - worthless, high GI processed carbs. I stick with oatmeal, muesli and occasionally more processed things like Sultana Bran.

As far as being able to eat bread, it does not get stuck for everyone. What gets stuck for me may not necessarily get stuck for you. You will have to try a little piece and see how it does for you. My doctor said that toasting bread helps some of his patients.

I almost never eat bread because I am watching my carbs. As Jachut said, bread fills you up fast and I feel like it is better to fill up on more nutrient rich foods like Protein, veggies or fruit. If I do eat bread it is the 100% whole wheat wrap bread (I use it to make a chicken wrap or as a pizza crust).

As far as cereal goes, I haven't had any problem with cereal getting stuck or swelling up. oatmeal is a great choice and Kashi Go Lean is high in Protein. I have found that cereal doesn't keep me satisfied as long though.

Edited by Jodi_620

Everyone is most certainly different. I can't do cereal at all... man I really want to. There is some South Beach Diet cereal high in Protein and Fiber that is tasty, but my body just will not accept it. For me, it's the combination of milk and cereal. I am quite the opposite, in that I can drink milk and eat dry cereal seperately with no problem (which I don't do b/c it'll just push it straight thru the band). I also cannot do much bread at all. Wraps are ok, kind of painful, but I don't PB. These two issues came about after my last fill (which was only my second one). Prior to that, I could eat wraps and eat cereal without any problems.

I think this is all a matter of trial and, unfortunately, error in some cases. Just listen to your body, especially when trying new things. Don't deside to try something new in a hurry. Take time, eat slow, and chew chew chew! As soon as you feel pressure, pain, or just feel like something's not right, stop. That's going to help prevent you from getting sick and this way you'll know what's going to work and what's not. Hope this helps! :regular_smile:

I like the Kashi - go lean and some of the Special k fruit, but I mix in with a little yogurt to get the filling and the Fiber and Protein all in one. I can do Wheat bread, when I first starting eating Whole weat i toasted it. Now I can Eat 1/2 slice maybe after I eat my protein. I have just had my 6th fill now have 6.5 cc in a 10cc I have lost 61 lbs. lovin myband, I treat it nicely and works for me. Also like the uncooked low sugar oatmeal mixed in the yogurt, it keeps it from sliding through too fast.:regular_smile:

I started eating cereal the past few weeks. When I am totally starving I have a small bowl of Cheerios with skim milk and splenda. It fills me up and if I eat it slowly and chew, chew, chew it's very satisfying. I also love oatmeal in the winter. I watch my carbs and don't eat bread, except for whole wheat, flax seed pita and then only two or three times a week with my lunch Protein.

So far it does not get stuck if I eat slowly and chew.

I heard that cereal expands and is a BAD idea (and of course, bread is a no-no). But are there certain cereals that are ok? Maybe ones that are corn based and not grainy? Like Corn Flakes are ok, but Lucky Charms (grainy) is bad?

What about bread? Someone told me Rye is ok? Why is that? Doesn't it expand as well? What about tortillas? That's a good, low carb way to make a wrap, but do any of you guys get stuck on tortillas?

Wanted to know everyone's opinion on what they are eating out there. Thanks.

kashi go lean and oatmeal, cream of wheat are on my list. as far as breads Pasta etc, i am to avoid them as much as possible. I am also watching my carbs, but the carbs i do drink knowingly is a v-8 i have for my snack before l lunch. The surgeon recommended melba toast to eat instead of soft bread because its twice baked and less to expand in your stomach

;) I have experienced eating of bread and some days I can handle 2/3 bites no problem. Then there are days I will take a bite and I get sick just putting the bread to my lips. :) So listen to your body. Take in your meals slowly. Enjoy the flavor of your food. Stay encouraged...:regular_smile:

My doctor only allows 100% whole wheat breads or whole grain, multi grain. NO WHITE bread. I also have found that it is easier to eat if it's toasted. when it's fresh it gets like a Gummy ball and is harder to eat.

As for cereals I eat the Weight Control Quaker instant oatmeal. It has a lot of Protein added to it, and it tastes better than the Kashi. I like the Kashi dry cereal though. It has a lot of extra Protein as well. I make cream of wheat in the winter when it's cold. It's a comfort food for me. I make it with Water and vanilla slim fast and add extra cinnamon and vanilla. It's so good, I have to make extra for my husband. I don't even think he realizes it's a healthier version than he's used to. I add a scoop of protien powder to it, and regular oatmeal if I make it. It holds me longer. I use unflavored Protein Powder in a LOT of things. It's worth the investment.

I eat all cereals and breads.

Me too. I try to get a lower gi cereal with whole grains or flax.

Im still eating subs with my family, but sometimes the bread does get a little stuck and I have to wait to finish my sandwich.

Iv only had two fills. I have a feeling bread will get more stuck if I have another fill, trying to decide about getting another fill for that reason.

Everyone is most certainly different. I can't do Cereal at all... man I really want to. There is some South Beach Diet cereal high in Protein and Fiber that is tasty, but my body just will not accept it. For me, it's the combination of milk and cereal. I am quite the opposite, in that I can drink milk and eat dry cereal seperately with no problem

Its weird isnt it?

I can handle the cereal/milk combo but chunky Soups, ugh. I have to be REALLY careful with things like minestrone, any Soup with big bits in it.b SUCH a healthy food, and very satisfying but definitely not something I'd ever eat in public due to the risk of PB.

Its weird isnt it?

I can handle the cereal/milk combo but chunky Soups, ugh. I have to be REALLY careful with things like minestrone, any Soup with big bits in it.b SUCH a healthy food, and very satisfying but definitely not something I'd ever eat in public due to the risk of PB.

It definitely is weird. I'm totally scared to try almost anything in public right now. I'm pretty tight, so unless I'm 100% certain it's something I can eat, I'm really cautious. I hope I don't have this think this way for the rest of my life. I'm still new at this though... so we'll see.

I haven't had any issues with soup of any kind. I wasn't feeling well the other day and one of my sinful foods that I crave when sick is chicken and rice soup. Yummy! It's homemade and it goes down oh so well! Now that's a liquid w/solid that I don't struggle with. You'd think I would b/c of the rice expanding. And bananas - forget about it. I might as well hold a trash can right next to my mouth if I take a bite! Oh well... I give up on trying to figure my weird body out. :)