Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A big trip after banding.....

Just 9 short weeks after I get my band I am going to be in the happiest place on earth. My husband and I are going to sneek away for 4 days and 3 nights at our favorite place, Walt Disney World. We are celebrating his birthday and our anniversary. My question is, will I be able to ride the rides? Will I still be sore at the port 9 weeks later? Also I know I should be back on solids with no problem so I can eat, just less food. I really can't wait. I hope I will need a new swimsuit and maybe some smaller shorts too. ~Mandy

Mandy, by that time you should be totally healed, and you might even forget you have had surgery. If you haven't had a fill by that time, be aware that you will be able to eat anything you want, and everything you want, in possibly the same quantities as preband. Try to remember that just because you can doesn't mean you should, or be prepared for the consequences of overindulging (i.e., no weight loss, and possibly regain of whatever you may lose immediately post-op).

Whether you'll be able to ride the rides depends on your tolerance for such things. But your surgery will not be a hindrance at all. :D

Mandy, I am 5 weeks out and am having no problems except a little irritation with my port. I am leaving for a Liberia Africa this weekend and will be working in an office with no electricity, tolerating the rainy season with hot days, etc. I did not have a fill so I wouldn't need to worry about eating issues since food choices will be restricted. But like Alexandra said, I am starting to make bad choices and regaining some of my loss.

I don't think you should have any issues at 9 weeks out. I would just be careful when you get your first fill. You will need to re-learn how to eat ie what the band tolerates food after fill. If you are filled before you go, give yourself some time (maybe a week or more) to learn to live with your fill.

Good luck and have fun!!

I am looking at having the procedure in August. I can take the full following week off work but the following week I will begin my travel schedule again. I am scheduled to present to a large group so I hope I am doing ok. Anyone do any large amount of travelling shortly after banding? If so, can you tell me how you did. How long did it take you to feel up to your normal routine?

Also, can you'll share with me where your port is located. I think I am confused as to the location. Not that it matters I am just curious.

And last, I hate needles! Is the fill bad?

Also, can you'll share with me where your port is located. I think I am confused as to the location. Not that it matters I am just curious.

Mine is three inches directly above my belly button. I think different doctors put it in different places.

i was banded just about 9 weeks ago and i just got back from Hershey park...The only trouble i found was the roller coasters with a lap bar ... they seemed to hit me just in my port area... i went on 1 and the bar was banging into me and that was it for me with those rides... i also stayed away from anything that pushed me into the side of someone like the scrambler... you should be fine at disney though since not to many rides are that bumpy..have fun... we are headed there next in oct and i cant wait!!

I began travelling 2 weeks after my banding and have traveled almost every week since. No problems except the people I travel with being my worst saboteurs....

That won't be problem, as Disney food is sooo good my hubby will be hoping that I can't finish anything so he can have my leftovers :rolleyes . The only thing that will get me is the dole whips, they are pineapple heaven, it is juice and pineapple sorbet blended into shear bliss. They are my favorite disney treat, however this time I think I will skip them as I will just be getting back to real food I am sure that I will be sick of smoothies and blended food stuffs. ~Mandy