Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help-i have failed at the diet and cant get started again

Hi:

I had my surgery June 5. Was doing pretty good, motivated and losing. Then June 23 I had a blood clot in my leg. Even though I was on the bariatric diet in the hospital, I weighed as much as I did when I came out as I did at surgery. And I was told not to exercise.

I had 1 fill on July 30 and I felt no different, I have a hard spot where he did the fill, so I wonder if it even went in my band.

I have been really depressed, just can't seem to get started again, my hair is falling out.

If anyone had this happen or if you have suggestions for me, please write back.

Thanks,

Wanda

Hmmm...your hair is falling out from the surgery. It will grow back.

Do you have a history of depression so that you might need medication? If not and you're just kind of "feeling sorry for yourself", then may I suggest that you make a list? Remember why you wanted the band. It can still help you. You had only 1 fill! good grief! I have had 1 fill and don't have any restriction; the doc told me it would take 4 or more. And he gave me a TINY fill the first time because he wants me to get in the habit of NOT snacking. He said to do that and come back for more.

So I suggest you make your list, and start to take steps to remotivate yourself. Clean out your kitchen until you are ready to eat like a weight-losing bandster. For me, that mean Proteins and veggies. No breads no rice no crackers no Peanut Butter (love that stuff LOL) in the house. If I do get in the mood to go wild, I'd have to drive to the store to buy something and I have NEVER been that motivated! LOL

THen once your house is clean and you have your list, Just do it. Get 64 ounces of Water each day. Per your doc's protocol, restrict Water before, during and after meals. No sweets. No slider foods.

AND finally call your doc for a fill. By now can you exercise? If so, start walking and build up.

Honestly just think if you do these things, in a month you could be down a chunk of weight, back on the road, and feeling good and sassy instead of sad and blue. You have to do it for yourself but you can. THe clot was bad but it didn't kill you (and they can and do kill!) so be greatful they caught it and move past it!

You can do this.

And as to failing? It's not over until you're dead. Seriously. It's a war and you've just lost a skirmish or two. Get back out there!

And are you sure the "hard spot" where your doc did your fill isn't your port? I can feel mine! It's the port, not the little bit of saline. That's common!

Wanda,

First of all, ((((hugs)))) to you.

I have not had the surgery yet, and I just found out today that I won't be able to have it until next spring. (I was all set to go for next Monday, until an insurance issue reared its ugly head). So I'm bummed, too.

My thoughts are just to take it one day at a time, even one meal at a time. Don't beat yourself up. Reward yourself for making good choices. Remember that nobody's perfect!

I will pray for you, Wanda.

Sincerely,

Kara

No, you haven't failed. You just need to start again. Everyone has times of discouragement. Remember that its not just about diet and exercise. Its about deciding that you are worth working on. Your health (in the long run) is worth it. You are worth it. So after a fall, get back up and take one step at a time. Are you taking your Vitamins? Check with your doctor to find out about why your hair is falling out, sounds like a Vitamin problem to me.