Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC Coverage for fills/after-care??

Hi Everyone! :laugh:

Just got banded (self pay) last Friday evening in TJ and feeling great!

I had a question that I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

Coincidentally, I am also fairly new to UHC (so might be considered a pre-existing condition?). What I was wondering was, if I went to my Doc. and/or insurance and said oh btw, I have this gastric band that you should probably be aware of.... Do you think they would cover check-ups or fills? I think my pcp would probably refer me to a nutritionalist because I am still no where near a goal weight lapband or not, but it sure would be great to have the fills covered too!

I've been reading here for quite some time and all the information posted has been invaluable!

Thanks! :smile2:

Edited by Spendi

Hi,

I have a question, you indicated that you had your Lap Band in TJ, what doctor and or clinc?

I live in TJ and commute to San Diego, My employer does not offer health insurrance and I have been saving money for the procedure but I am very unsure about choosing the clinic. Your input would be sooooooooooo helpful.

thanks, christina:thumbup::smile2:

Hi,

I have a question, you indicated that you had your Lap Band in TJ, what doctor and or clinc?

I live in TJ and commute to San Diego, My employer does not offer health insurrance and I have been saving money for the procedure but I am very unsure about choosing the clinic. Your input would be sooooooooooo helpful.

thanks, christina:thumbup::smile2:

I went to Bajanor which from my research here, does not seem to be one of the more popular places but the price ($6800 all inclusive) and the close proximity to the border was pretty much the deciding factor for me. It wasn't the most luxerious place but I got what needed to be done and was then transferred to a pretty sweet hotel! :laugh:

ETA: Since you are in the area and wouldn't need airfare or shuttle service to/from any airports, I imagine just about all the places in your area would be less for you! Good luck!

Edited by Spendi

Hi Everyone! :laugh:

Just got banded (self pay) last Friday evening in TJ and feeling great!

I had a question that I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

Coincidentally, I am also fairly new to UHC (so might be considered a pre-existing condition?). What I was wondering was, if I went to my Doc. and/or insurance and said oh btw, I have this gastric band that you should probably be aware of.... Do you think they would cover check-ups or fills? I think my pcp would probably refer me to a nutritionalist because I am still no where near a goal weight lapband or not, but it sure would be great to have the fills covered too!

I've been reading here for quite some time and all the information posted has been invaluable!

Thanks! :smile2:

If you did not reveal this condition at the time of your application it could be considered a non-covered diagnosis/procedure. If this is a group insurance from your work and you did not have to reveal this information then it should not be a problem.

However, most of the time if they did not cover the band they won't cover the fills. It will depend on whether your group covers Weight Loss Surgery for the Lap Band. Each group is different.

Hi, I agree with ccarter that if weight loss surgery is not covered in your UHC plan, nothing associated with it will be covered. I have UHC also in the Chicago area. I did get some of my pretesting covered, cuz the insurance girls filed it as necessary testing for my high blood pressure. Good luck on your weight loss journey. My surgeon's office thinks I'll get banded still this month. Scared and excited, Blueyes