Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!!! Please....

Having surgery tomorrow and was speaking to another person who is also having their surgery tomorrow. She told me that we were not supposed to have any Protein until our 1 week post op visit with the doc. I read and re-read my preop instructions and it just says to only have clear liquid until midnight tonight (nothing after that). Well, i had a Protein Drink that was clear liquid. Is this not okay and will it screw up my surgery tomorrow?????

Thank you! Now I think I can get some sleep before my big day! The girl I was referring to has the same doc as me but we were even on different pre-op diets so maybe the night before surgery was different to? At least I know that nothing bad will happen now! Thank you.

Ditto. Every dr is different. My dr had me on Protein immediately. I was on Protein shakes before I left the hospital. No worries.

Cindy

Patti you weren't supposed to have anything but Water pretty much from noon on. I don't really think 1 Protein drink will hurt you, but Dr. C wants you pretty cleaned out. And post op just Clear liquids for the 1st week, NO PROTEIN! (Just Water, broth, and sugar free jello)

Let them know tomorrow when you drank the Protein. I am sure you will be fine because your surgery is going to be after 10am, but don't drink any more (of course), let the nurse know tomorrow, and remember no protein for the 1st week post op while you heal!

You'll do fine!

K - I am off to the hospital. Thanks for replying back! I will try to let you know how things go on Tuesday when i get out of the hospital. Please say a prayer for me!!!

In this world of instant information at the tip of your fingers we are proned to believe everything we read. Use common sense.

Please, Please, Please Follow your doctors recommendations and no one else! Mine were same as yours and my operation went OK!

Congratulations on your lap band....let us know if you need any support of have any other questions...this is a great support group and you can get straight answers for all your concerns as you progress during your trip.....remember we all are experiencing the same after surgery situations.:)

BTW...my 4cc's are working just fine!

Longhornmom and I have the same Doc. He's very specific about what to have when: no Protein for 1 week post op, and NPO after midnight, and only clear liquid (AKA Water in his world) from noon (plus the mag citrate) the day before surgery.

ANYWAY GO Patti Go! I know you'll do great!

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. you may have not been allowed protien for the first week after surgery.. but I was.. I had clear Protein supplements. you should be more careful how you word things advice is good but every doctor is different and its best to follow your own doctors advice, because your doctor is the one who is caring for you. some people NEED Protein and have special dietary needs, as was my case. I also was not on a pre-op liquid and could eat up until 9pm the day before per my doctor. I had no problems healing while taking protein supplements. its good to help but also good to remember that our journey is not someone elses journey.

Re: Help!!!! Please....

Longhornmom and I have the same Doc. He's very specific about what to have when: no protein for 1 week post op, and NPO after midnight, and only clear liquid (AKA Water in his world) from noon (plus the mag citrate) the day before surgery.

ANYWAY GO Patti Go! I know you'll do great

IF you read my post you'll see we (Longhornmom and I) have the SAME doc. We've discussed ad nauseam what he requires etc; and I ASKED him. Preop from the day before is essentially the same for all his band patients. Post op is the same for all band patients. I have the journal in hand. Had he given Patti special directions, then she'd surely have known that. She was wondering in general and I answered her PER OUR DOC.

You are right we are all different and I would NEVER presume to tell YOU what your doc requires; I don't know you or your doc. But Longhornmon and I are in the same boat.

Thanks for your concern but it's misplaced here. I was answering a personal friend who's going to the same doc as I am about what our doctor requires.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

My SIL and I had the same Dr., and surgery on the same day---but we had different instructions for pre op, and some moderations to the post op diet were made as well.

The differences had to do with our BMI's going into the surgery, our liver enzyme levels going into the surgery, and things like that. The post op changes were made due to the differences he found in our livers and the amount of fat on our livers and stomachs during the banding itself.

I don't think it is unusual for a Dr. to alter instructions per patient.

All in all it was really nice to have someone to compare notes with, and to discuss what we were told, it is hard to remember everything!!!

Kat

Thanks for everyone's replies. I just got out of the hospital yesterday and I am doing fine. Naturally a little bloated and sore but nothing I can't handle! Today is better than yesterday and I am hoping it gets better each and every day. YIPEEEE!!!!