Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Removed after 2 weeks and major complications

Well I am very sad to say that on September 30th I had to have emergency surgery to have my band removed. I developed an infection in my stomach and now have an open wound from where they had to "scrape" the infection out. I also have a tube coming out of my stomach that I will have for 8 weeks for drainage and that I have to flush twice per day. I have a home health care nurse coming twice per day to dress my open wound which probably won't heal for at least a month and I will have this tube for 8 weeks. Needless to say I am having a very hard time with this. I can't believe this has happened. I planned for over a year and anticipated and was so excited about being banded and my new start on my way to my new life and now that is all gone. I have however lost about 30 pounds in 5 weeks - guess that is a good thing???? I won't be able to eat solid foods for at least a month and apparently if I would have waited two days later to go to the hospital, I might not be here writing this today...Definitely gives you a new outlook on life. I pray that no one else goes through what I have been through and congrats to all of those having success with the band. I wish you the best.

Marie so sorry to hear this. I do hope you heal up quick. Was it the surgery that caused the issue for you? Did they tell you why this happened?

So sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am glad you are here to write this post. I will pray for you to continue to heal, and find peace after this ordeal.

Take Care

Oh Marie. I'm so sorry. Thank God you ARE here to post! Thanks for letting us know what's going on. Hang in there. I hope you heal quickly. Please keep posting to let us know how you're doing. I'm so glad you got looked at in time!

Take care.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that you had ccomplications. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. ((HUGS))

my husband did have the same problem he still in the hospital it being 9day in the hospital he still has a leap in the stomach and he has a feeling tube the doctor say the has to be in the hospital for three weeks the night i took him to the hospital the Dr. told me if he didnt come to the hospital that night he have die that night he was running a fever for 4 days and the Dr. said that he has a very bad infection he never seem a person with that kind of infection in his body :thumbup:

Marie,

I am so sorry that you have had to go through this horrible experience. Keep your chin up girl! You have already lost a good bit of weight and will lose a good bit more before you can eat normally again. You can do it!!

I truly believe that you are still here for a reason. God has plans for you! I will pray for a speedy recovery.

I know what you mean about it changing your outlook on life. My hubby has severe complications form gastric bypass a few years ago. It made us both see things in a different light! He is fine now and you will be fine too!

Keep us all posted on your recovery!

I'm sorry about your very rare infection. I know that must be hard. Get well soon!

How awful! I hope your recovery is speedy!

So sorry for what you have gone through and are still coping with, my heart goes out to you.

Marie's post is from 2008.

Miriam, hope your hubby is recovering well.