Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you plan your meals ahead of time?

Yesterday I was going over my paperwork on the pre/post op diet. My dr. recommends 80-90 grams of protein/day. I can have a lot on my preop diet. I'm supposed to have 4 servings of Protein shakes 2 mixed with milk and 2 mixed with non-milk.

Anyway, my question is do you plan out your meals ahead of time to make sure you get the recommended amount of Protein or do you just make note of your protein intake through the day? It's just a lot and I'm getting worried that I will mess this up.

Preop for me there wasn't much to plan; I was very restricted and knew exactly what I could have. Post op...we're supposed to get a base of 60 mg a day Protein and I aim for that but don't preplan my meals. Post op you can buy various protein supplements (I haven't but many do) like Unjury or those bullet things from GNC that have a LOT of protein in them. I know from nutrition class it's best to get stuff from the food if you can so I just eat Proteins first, then veggies. You'll get the hang of it. Personally one of the big draws of the band for me is that I don't have to weigh, count, journal and overplan my meals to lose. I get so bored with that! But many people prefer to have a plan and keep track of calories, protein, etc. It's up to you, on other words, and you'll find what works best for you!

I am not banded yet, but very close to getting a surgery date. However, because I am so busy with the work commute and many other activties, I do have to plan out my meals. If I don't, I get really hungry and start eating anything.

I make my lunches the night before. I plan out dinners for the week. And I have lots of protien and liquid broth at work for a quick pick me up. I will probably start the pre-op diet in two weeks.:crying:

Hi! My surgery is on the 21st and I have made a couple of Soups (potato and veggie) that I have pured and frozen in 4 oz containers in the freezer. I figured that at worst (hoping for the best) hubby could grill a chicken breast or fish and then blend for me after the first two weeks. :) I also bought some protien powder to add to the soups during the first couple of weeks. If it gets dicey, I also have a couple of the protien bullets handy. Good Luck!

Planning is one of the keys to success. As the old saying goies "If you don't plan to succeed, you plan to fail"

For instance, this week we are going out to eat, my group at work. We have planned to go to "Los Cobos Mexican". I've went out to menu, researched what would be the best protein/low fat that I could eat. I don't want to show up on prepared.

I find that when I plan my meals, I dont sway from them, I seem to stay on plan - when I don't plan, lots of things come up and before I know I'm totally off plan.

Best wishes to you!

You know I think this is one of the big benefits of the band. If you like to plan and be in control etc and it helps you to stay on track, the band accommodates.

If you are like me and find, after a while, that counting and planning and weighing is tedious or at worst, just another form of food obsession (which it is FOR ME...) then with the band, we can just make good choices each meal and go from there. WW is big on "journaling" and the thought of having to weigh every portion, journal every bite every day for the rest of my life was staggering and miserable and frankly I knew I wouldn't do it.

I love love love the flexibility of the band so those of us who would prefer not to think about food until time to eat, and those of us who want more control, are both able to get what we need to keep on going! :smile2: