Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had a Band fitted on NHS with BMI below 40

Hi,

Im interested if anyone had had a band fitted with a BMI under 40 i am 38.5 but am deseprate for this band.

I do have issues that may help......... High BP and Diabetes in family, dad died young due to gastric cancer and Diabetes uncle died young again he had diabeties. ( both died age 55)

Any ideas of ways i can get the surgeon to let me have this done on the NHS

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appriechated.

You qualify for a lapband on the NHS with a BMI of over 40, or a BMI over 35 with co-morbities. You should talk to your GP and get him/her to refer you.

You should also have shown that you have tried to lose the weight by other means - diets, slimming pills etc. Your GP writes to the hospital confirming this.

I had my operation on the NHS - who were wonderful - and I had to show that I satisfied the criteria above. I had a six month waiting list, which is now down to three months.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Ive been on lots of diets, been prescribed both Xenical and Reductil, had to be taken off slimming pills due to Blood Pressure, GP have referred me to Hoapital. I have a appointment tomorrow but its with a Gastric Cancer Surgeon which i find strange ?

Yes that does sound strange. It should be with the bariatric team. Perhaps that surgeon also does bariatric work. Have you had a look at the hospital's website to see if there is a bariatric team?

When you go to your appointment tomorrow, the surgeon will already have been appraised of your situation by your GP. In that case, he/she will try to judge whether the surgery will benefit you or not. He will possibly look for your commitment to losing weight, your support network at home and your expectations of the operation. He will go through the procedure with you, and you may meet other people in the bariatric team, such as a dietician. He ought to be able to tell you whether or not he recommends the operation for you at your meeting tomorrow.

Go into the meeting in a positive frame of mind. They want to help you and are on your side. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

The only reason i can think of being referred to him is because my dad died of cancer and he had gastric and pancreatic cancer as well as diabetes, he was only 55 when he died.

i just find it really strange...

Im going heartlands hospital, and all the ppl on here have seen other ppl.

If your interested google Mr Kumar and heartlands.

Thanks for your help.