Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help What Do I Do About The Fills

My Surgery Was In Jan Of This Year Since That Time I Have Not Managed To Lose Weight But Only To Gain....why Because Of My Fills...my First Fill Was 1.2 Cc My Second Was The Same...my Third Was 2.cc And My Fourth Was 4cc The Thing Is The Last Time I Went In My Doctor All Of A Sudden Thinks I Have A Different Size Band...then They Go To The Chart To Find Out What Size Band I Have And No Where In The Chart Does It Say....so They Have To Call The Hospital To Find Out...that I Have A Large Band...now This Really Bothers Me A Lot..shouldnt They At The Beginning No What They Put In You...so They Can Fill Accordingling Instead Of Making Guess's....he Kept Saying Your Not Eating Right...well Its Not My Eating Its The Band...i Was Made To Feel So Guilty And I Feel So Bad Right Now Because At Four I Still Am Eating Anything I Want ....because Of Being Hungry All The Time...i Feel Like I Have Wasted A Lot Of Money For The Last Four Months To Gain Weight Not Lose It....help What Should I Do....please email me at mad_maxie@sbcglobal.net cant seem to get into other email...thanks

missy, first, to enable your e-mail, go to User CP and Edit Options, scroll down, you will see in there somewhere to enable e-mail so folks can send through LBT. Dont' forget to click "Save Changes" at the bottom.

Now, I'm concerned that you doc was filling you with NO reference to what size band you have!!! WHAT?!

In my opinion, your aftercare is your problem. If you had a doc that was on the ball, or at least a group that had it together...you would be getting the most from your band and losing.

My advice, time for you to take the reins. Go in here to LBT and research. There are threads about the Large bands...find out EXACTLY what band you have AND the capacity. Read up on what other folks are experiencing, know what to expect...get your facts. Noone is looking out for you but YOU! And I can promise you that what you are experiencing is not banded life. You need restriction, you need more than a 1.2cc first fill in large band...

If you need some help digging around, PLEASE post a plea here, and folks will be happy to find links for you.

I am so depressed and crying because I feel that because of my insurance my doctor is taking advantage of my fills...this could be the reason for all that is going on....he gripes at me in a nice way about not losing weight....its not my fault...In six months I should of lost weight not gained it...I am still eating what I want with 4cc in me....I feel as though I did all this in vain...because I am still fat fat fat.........................................

When he pulls out what he put in there before is it precise??? Could it be a leak???

It is very hard not to get upset (((HUGS)))

Go through your paper work from the hosp where they itemize if you have that and take alook. You are the paying patient never ever let a Doctor make you feel that it is your fault.. He should be on top of the game not have to call around to see what size of band he used.

Demand to know EXACTLY which band was used on you. This should be plainly stated in your medical records as it is a requirement to document serial number and all. This information has to be reported, so it's there. I cannot believe his operative record doesn't show.. Who is this DR? and how long has he been doing bands?? You have every right to tell him that you need to know the size of the band and if it is a Vanguard/larger band you expect some extra fill FOR FREE in order to get you where you need to be. Does he use flouroscopy to do the fills or is he just finding the port himself and guessing? If so, is he pulling what Fluid is in there OUT before injecting more in?? Sounds like you are gonna have to be in control of what he is doing .. so best let him know, you understand numerous fills are good for his business but that is not your agenda. You need to get what you came for, which is restriction and in a timely manner..

Are you eating Proteins first, veggies next, no longer than 15-20 minutes at a sitting?. Are you drinking during meals? Are you exercising? Do you feel ANY restriction at all?

Good luck!

He had to call the hospital to find out ...he just guesses at the fills...I have a large vanguard...and last fill was 4 cc...but I still can eat anything I want what does this mean???????

It just means you don't have enough fill. Wait, so what is your total fill, adding them all together?

Does the doc pull out all of the previous fill before addingthat and more back in?

first fill was freebie..1.cc second fill 1.2 third fill 1.2 fourth fill 2.cc fifth fill 4.cc that is when he had to find out what size band I had because he didnt know and wasnt on charts...I am not sure what he does......

If I say something to him and he gets angry....over fills or does something stupid.....My heart is aching with the desire to lose this weight...I just am at a lost instead of losing I have gained five lbs.....this sets me even into a bigger despression....and when I am depressed I eat lots of sweets....I guess because I feel I have lost a battle...which I will never lose any weight......I hate going to get a fill each time I get sick because I know he is going to be upset with me not losing any weight....after five fills and nothing....I cant seem to figure out why..this is happening to me...before surger I was estactic at the prospect of losing weight and getting off my pills...now I cant even stand to look at myself in a mirror....I am at a lost anymore....my tears of joy are now tears of sorrow...I exercise...I work...I try hard....

missy, can I just say one thing, and I want you to repeat this "it's not my fault, but it IS my responsibility" say it out loud now, "it's not my fault, but it IS my responsibility"

Good. Now, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, don't go eat a Little Debbie, or whatever your fix is, and make some decisions about what you will do. Change docs? That would be MY choice!!! It seems odd that you have 8.2cc in a Vanguard Band and still have no restriction. You need to be finding out what's going on instead of wallowing in self-pity. This is tough love...there is absolutely no reason why you are banded since Jan and have gained 5 pounds. Your doc is NOT helping your band help you. Dont' cry. THINK! You have all of us to help you. Are you reading? When I get a sec, I'll go research some old threads that might be helpful and post the links here. Get that backbone ready!!!!

If I say something to him and he gets angry....over fills or does something stupid........I work...I try hard....

You really do need to start getting his attention! Talk over him, yell back at him, scream if you have to! If my doctor would treat me like that, he would be history! No way would I pay someone to be mean to me! If he starts getting mouthy, tell him you don't appreciate the way he is treating you, you paid him good money, and if you have to report him for his attitude you will!

Something is very wrong, and you need either him to make an effort to find out, or find yourself a doctor that gives a damn and help yourself out.

Like Kathy said, this is tough love, but we care about what happens to the people here, and if we have to say it like it is to make you wise up enough to stand up for yourself, then we do. We are here to support you!

Please don't live like this, take care of yourself and do it soon!

Is your fillgiver someone other than your surgeon? While yes, your chart should've had which band size was installed, you should have also taken some initiative regarding your treatment and made sure you knew which size was installed. We patients have some responsibility to know what's going on so we can monitor our aftercare. All band patients should know which model was installed.

The VG band holds 10ccs...4 ccs is a very small fill in the VG (the first 3cc merely "primes" the band). You simply need more fill because in terms of this band's capacity, you've only just begun.

How did you select this aftercare giver? Is he affiliated with your original surgeon or did you travel for surgery and are using a local fillgiver?

Weight loss isn't going to happen until adequate restriction is in place unless the patient is just strictly dieting.

Nancy

394/270/180

Awesome quote...and sums it up perfectly!

Nancy

"it's not my fault, but it IS my responsibility" say it out loud now, "it's not my fault, but it IS my responsibility"

Well, like the other's have said, don't let the doc get angry with you because you question his stupidity. If he's too dumb to know what band he installed, or if he didn't install it, what band he's working with, then of course you are going to have somethings to say. Quite often the first fill in the Vanguard band is 5cc's. And then people get 1 or 2cc fills after that, and then smaller and smaller with each adjustment. You need more fill, YOU aren't doing anything wrong with the band, it just CAN'T work for you if it's not restricted right. You DO have a responsibility to make sure you get those fills, but your doctor definitely has a great responsibility to know what he's doing as well.

Keep us posted!