Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Viglianco buffalo/OH anyone?

I'm thinking of checking Synergy out myself as well. I got some great info on BGH from the nice women posting on here for Dr Hoffman. I'm just a bit discouraged with the long wait for them. How long was your process? Do you like this dr? It's laproscopic right? Thanks

it was pretty quick...i started the process in july, and my surgery could be scheduled for november, but i'm waiting til after x-mas. it all depends on you i guess, the quicker you get all of the blood work done and doctors stuff the quicker they can schedule it. you can always call there and ask questions...they are very helpful or you can check out a support group meeting every 2nd and 4th tuesday at 6 right at their office.

viglianco is great! he's got a great bedside manner and willing to answer any questions you have. i did a lot of research before i went with questions prepared. when you go for the pre-op exercise/nutrition class they answer any questions you have and give you a book of what things you should eat/not eat...etc.

i just enjoy all of the support and viglianco is world renown....so i'm excited!

WOW, that is pretty quick. Sounds like that is more for me. The thought of a 7 to 8 month process was so depressing. So, you say Dr V is world renowned? How did you find info about him? Does he do this laproscopic? Do you know anyone who has been banded? I'm getting more excited and scared at the same time. OH....do you have to do a pre-op diet? Thanks for you help! Very much appreciated. I think I'm going to give them a call and get the party started :)

These support meetings....can I just show up?

i found him on the internet...he has done a ton of these surgeries everywhere...yes, it is laproscopic....yes they recommend the pre-op diet to help you get adjusted, but really it's to shrink your liver and pancreas so he can fit the band in....if you don't do it...it's not a huuuuge deal but he may have to open you up to fit the band in then, which means more recovery time. i do know people that have had bypass from synergy but not lap-band. there was a couple pre-op for lap-band like me at the support group meeting so i'm hoping next time i can talk to someone that has had it. yes, you can just show up to the meetings. i'm going to the next one as well on the 21st. i'm not really scared, i've done my research and i'm ready. i've talked to people who know people with the lap-band and so far everyone has done well. my mom did say she talked to someone who had it done, and she said she would never do it again, because she had some Hair loss (which is normal but it grows back plus you can take biotin) so yeah, she didn't like that or not being able to eat certain things so she had it taken out. however, this says to me that maybe she wasn't ready, or didn't have the support, or was not taking her vitamins...i don't know, i know not everyone has a great experience, but i know i'm ready. and if all else fails, it CAN be removed y'know?:wink2:

This thread was just what I needed I was begining to think that BGH (Buffalo General Hospital) was the only choice in Buffalo. I just got off the phone with a friend that had a bypass done with Dr. Caruana and she could not speak for Dr Vilianco but said the staff there was amazing. Unfortunately they close at noon on Friday so I will have to wait till Monday to call them.

I was extremely put off by BGHs lack of compassion, I understand being backed up but I was basically thrust into voicemail twice to leave a name and address to mail a application package to when I called for information. I had to call a different number and get a different person to get though and get permission to pick up a package.

I went in person and they had to make sloppy photocopies of the forms while I waited ten minutes. They did not even put that package in the mail till a full week after I had called, it took 10 days to receive from the time I left the voice mail and in reading the cover letter they warn "don't call us we will call you" and it takes "two to six months for a first appointment".

No thank you, I will find a practice that is more interested in my business than that. If they are that "backed up" they should be hiring additional staff. I look forward to calling and meeting with a the staff at Synergy Bariatrics.

Edited by Bonamy

My friends Maria is his nutritional person, and I think she is great! That is all I know about them. Caruana did my sisters bypass and she is doing well.