Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do I Mentally Prepare Myself???

Hello All,

I'm in the process of getting banded. We're looking at mid-November. I just had my 3-hour long mandatory informational session yesterday and my surgeon said I should start mentally preparing myself with respect to food choices and working out. I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this and the more I think of it the more stressed out I get. The thought of failure is overwhelming me to no end and I'm just looking for some advice or words of wisdom here. :smile2:

I keep thinking of the positive aspects of lapband surgery, but we all know it won't be a rosey ride to success. What sort of difficulties will I have and how will I overcome them? Your responses will be very much appreciated!

Current Weight: 241 lbs

Goal Weight: 160-170 lbs

Thanks! :wub:

My biggest difficulty has been getting control of my emotional eating. When you can't eat to stuff the emotion, you have to actually deal with those emotions. If you are an emotional eater, you want to start finding another way to deal with emotions before you have surgery. Also, if you are a constant snacker, you want to start curbing that whether it is with walking or doing something else constructive. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for the post! Yes, like you I am also an emotional eater. I guess that's what I was trying to say in my thread - I just couldn't find the words.

If you don't mind me asking: how did you deal with your emotions when food wasn't your comfort?

I worried about that but it really wasnt an issue for me. food doesnt really help you deal with anything as much as you think it does.

What I decided when I made the decision to be banded, was from the day I saw my surgeon, I was starting my new life.

No crash diet and mad exercise, but I determined that I was going to try to practice life skills. Sensible eating and moderate exercise. My goal was not to lose any weight, it was to avoid stuffing myself stupid from that point until surgery.

It REALLY helped me. I was much fitter by the time S day rolled around, and I felt good about myself. It wasnt a feeling of thank god I'm getting this band to control myself by that point, it was the next step in a journey I'd already started.

Most of the mental preparation and soul searching came well before. I didnt go to see a surgeon until I was sure I wanted to do this.

Thanks for the post! Yes, like you I am also an emotional eater. I guess that's what I was trying to say in my thread - I just couldn't find the words.

If you don't mind me asking: how did you deal with your emotions when food wasn't your comfort?

I haven't actually dealt with it completely yet. I am going to a counselor that deals specifically with people with eating disorders and emotional eating issues. So far, I have just been having some major shouting matches with my husband and mother (the two people who send me to snack the most) instead of just accepting whatever they say. Neither of them like it, but I am trying to avoid a binge session with cake or Cookies. I don't have any restriction yet, so I could probably get those things down easily.

I was pretty casual in my approach, that this isnt a race to the finish, as long as you stay in the race. Dont let all these things get to you, if there is a problem deal with it when it happens.

I did get sweets and most of the candy out of the house, still have some here but have been giving away madly, even gave two bags of stuff to my next door neighbor.

Dont have anything in the house you know you cant resist. I know your family has to help with this if you live with other people, but surely they can find something else to eat if there is something you just love.

Other than cutting down on my sugar, and trying not to snack at night, thats about all Im doing. Im still eating everything else. Losing slowly?? Yes, true. I was a speed demon on my last diet and gained it back. This time trying the slow and sure approach.

My dietitian said to get used to the liquids before or after food-not with, part of the whole new eating way. I tried, but it lasted a day. I couldn't do it because nothing else had changed. In a few days I begin the pre surgery diet and I've started a mini version already. I have to say, the act of making a physical change to my eating has helped me immensely to change the way I eat. Sort of makes it real I guess.

As for dealing with emotional eating, I've worked on this for years. Now I don't emotionally eat, except occasionally when bored. I have found journalling my emotions very helpful. I will have a book with pages and pages of the same thing, written over and over again. I'll write it down several times a day and several days a week. Sometimes I go on and on about nothing but this one issue for a few weeks! At least it helps me get it out and deal with it.

Something else that was really crucial was coming to terms with my right to have these feelings. I was born late 60s and grew up in the 70s. A lot of the messages then were that 'nice' girls didn't get angry or upset. Girls didn't stand up for themselves so it became easier to eat to stuff it all down. Anger was my biggy. There was a lot of abuse going on in my home at the time and the only control I had over it was what I put in my mouth, so naturally eating to shove feelings down became my coping mechanism.

This is how you've coped and its worked for you, after all you still do it. Now you want to take it away, so you will need to come up with a new way to cope. You might want to take up things like punching your pillow, ripping up paper, having a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it, taking up clay as a hobby so you can thump the aggression out. It really depends on what emotion you are trying to shove down.