Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cant get motivated

I was banded on 4/21, I started out really great, now I am so not motivated, I don't know where to start. I have been eating all the wrong foods, chips, nachos, and salsa, even chinese food.

I have had 2 fills, the last was on Friday 6/24,and still no restriction.

I am so depressed....I wonder if I am a failure with this too.

I don't want to get out of bed in the morning.....does anyone have any ideas, short of a good kick in the ass?

Jorjet -- Believe me, many of us have had periods of eating the wrong foods. I've often found inspiration here on the boards for getting myself motivated. Exercise helps me. And also helps me get out of bed in the morning. Drinking more Water also helps. Remember what you've been through to get to this point. You've come too far to turn back now. You are not a failure at this! And remember your own mantra: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

Elizabeth

8-28-03

You are not a failure, the reason you may not feel restriction is the band doesnt restrict junk food. Try going back to basics, start tomorrow with your Protein, purge all of that crap from your system drink lots of Water and focus on Protein. When you eat carbs and sugar all that does is crave more carbs and sugar. I have been there trust me..I had to go back to basics too for the same reason a few months back, I was on a sugar binge. You can do this..get out of bed tomorrow with a fresh start, possitive attitude and protein..NO JUNK FOOD>>NO JUNK food :D

I bet if you ate a chicken breast or some other hard protein in the morning you will have restriction, do a test, take a bite of junk food and then a bite of hard protein and see which one gives you more restriction, restriction does not just come from fills but it also comes from the foods you choose. It is easy to eat around the band and blame it on NOT having resatriction. Junk food goes through way to easily..I could eat a bag of cheetos no problem but give me a piece of chicken and I got restriction.

And you know what, Jorjet? You may be discouraged from time to time, you may want to give up, but the great thing about the band is that IT WON'T LET YOU. It will still be there when you think it's all a waste, and it will encourage and allow you the time to regroup and get motivated again. So you are WAY ahead of the game compared to where you would have been without your band.

We were just talking about this last night. When the weight loss slows down, which OF COURSE it will, and we find ourselves apathetic about the endeavor, which OF COURSE we will be from time to time, the MIRACLE of our little band is that it doesn't let us throw in the towel in the same way we have done in the past. A few pounds up after a months-long regimen of dieting would have meant complete failure to me in the past. But not this time. And never again. :D

What great replies! You've really inspired me, Alexandra. And Jorjet, you are far from alone. Many, even most, of us find that junk food goes down oh so easily. I could eat a pint (or more) of ice cream, no problem -- but give me a piece of chicken as Michelle suggests and I feel restriction. When I first tried tortilla chips after I was banded, I was very tentative, but then I discovered I could eat a whole bowl, plus guacamole and salsa. This soft mushy stuff slides right past the band. So, if you're ready, follow Michelle's recommendation and see if it helps. It probably will.

That said, it's possible that you really don't have much restriction, even after two fills. But put your restriction to the test by trying to eat the classic bandster way with those hard Proteins first, and I bet you'll notice a difference. If not, better check with your fill doctor.

Good luck! Hang in there -- we've all been discouraged at times, but as Alexandra says, the band is still there for us.

BTW, if you still need "a good kick in the ass," I will post my giant boot picture!

Thank you for replying, today was a better day, altho I hope tomorrow gets even better then today.

I have alot of stress going on right now, and I have always been an emotional eater ( or is that just an excuse) My mom is in the hopital, with heart failure....this all came on suddenly....

I've asked God to give me strength to get through this, and I am sure I will with his help.

Again, thank everyone for your support.

Hugs, and God Bless.

Guest j. lynn

I was banded on 4/21, I started out really great, now I am so not motivated, I don't know where to start. I have been eating all the wrong foods, chips, nachos, and salsa, even chinese food.

I have had 2 fills, the last was on Friday 6/24,and still no restriction.

I am so depressed....I wonder if I am a failure with this too.

I don't want to get out of bed in the morning.....does anyone have any ideas, short of a good kick in the ass?

sorry - but sounds like the kick is what you need!

If you don't work this, it won't do you a bit of good. Anyone who tells you that this is easy or without pain or anguish is lying.

It's tough. I'll give you that. I had an issue with sweets about 2 weeks back. 1 won't kill you, but 1 several times a day adds up.

It's hard. To break my habit, I told myself: "today I will not snack on those. Just for today." That was a Monday. Then on Tuesday I told myself: "I will not snack on those. I did it yesterday and I can do it again today." Each day got a little easier and easier until it became a habit. The first day is always the hardest.