Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vertical Banded Gastroplasty

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty on May 24th. Is this the correct online community for me or is there one that is specific to the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty? If there is, does anyone know the email address? Are there other people in this community who have had the same surgery?

I know that the lap-band surgery is different and can be adjusted. It has been about 5 weeks since my surgery and I wonder if I'll ever be able to tolerate any solids?

Thanks,

Janice

Welcome Janice! I don't know of a specific place for you. I think you may be our first VBG.

I believe we are all the AGB, or are considering it.

But don't let that stop you. I firmly believe that there are issues that face everybody who faces a major weight loss, no matter the cause or tool. It may be that we will not be able to offer truely helpful suggestions or experience.

Good Luck in your journey

You might try www.obesityhelp.com . I believe there are people there who've had VBG. This forum is mostly for those who have had lapbands placed or are researching the idea of having it done in the future. I'm sure no one would complain if you wanted to hang around, however.

I'm sure no one would complain if you wanted to hang around, however.

Nope, sit back, stay a while. I'd be interested in hearing more about the surgery you had done and how it's working for you. I wonder what eating and weight loss issues we have in common? Anyway, welcome to LBT!

Hi Janice,

Welcome!!! The more the merrier! You should tell me more about your surgery and how your doing. We can compare stories. Best wishes, Teresa

I'm just mad that you haven't come back and told us more yet! I might be looking into converting from the band to bypass one day, so I welcome welcome welcome. I think it's super that you're here because it gives us a view from the other side. Many of us wonder about other types of weight loss surgery. Good luck to you. I hope you do well.

I have been reading all of the information on this website and I feel like I will never be able to eat any of the kinds of food you guys are able to eat. I really wanted lap-band surgery;howver, my insurance company would only cover the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (Aetna). I am sad that I can never adjust my band. Do you all also have a small opening (the size of an M & M) for food to go through? I had my surgery on May 24, 2005. I have lost about 30 lbs. There are still days where I can only tolerate liquids. I have tried to eat a little bit of chicken and cannot tolerate it. Mostly I am doing Protein Drinks. I was at the doctor's office last week and there was a woman who had had the surgery a year ago. She still can not eat any poultry or meat of any kind. I read about you guys eating chicken, salad and pizza and I want to cry. Right now I wish that I had not had the surgery at all and would not recommend it to anyone.

Janice

Janice, there are some big differences between the lap-band and what you had, chief among them being that you start out where most of us get to only after several adjustments. Believe me, when we're adjusted tightly it's very hard if not impossible to eat pizza.

Adjustability works both ways, so unfortunately you don't have the option of having your band tightened OR loosened at any future point. I'm sure the restriction you feel will lessen somewhat over time, but for now you're at your tightest and will just have to learn to live with it. We start out loose and get tighter, while your process goes the other way around.

Frankly, it's that sudden transformation that scared me totally off of the VBG or RNY when I was researching bariatric surgery. Changes have to be made slowly if they're going to be permanent, goes my thinking. I hope you will be able to find the guidance and support you need as you go through this process, which I'm sure will be the hardest part of your journey.

Hugs and best of luck to you. :D