Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about recovery time

Greetings, I need some help. I have finally been approved by the insurance company. It looks like my surgery date will be Nov. 4. Can someone give me some advice about how much time I need to take off work. I have an office job. I have one week of vacation so I will be taking only a week to recover. I will not be taking any sick leave because I am not telling anyone except my immediate family. Will one week be enough?

Hey Sandy,

Unfortunately, we all heal differently. There is someone on these boards who had the same surgery as me by the same doc, same hospital, etc about two weeks before me and she seems to have healed a bit more slowly. BUT, in my experience, a week should be enough. I had surgery on Friday and as of Monday I was back visiting work for like an hour a day. Yesterday (Wednesday) was the first day I didnt sleep during the day and was up for 14 hours without feeling the need to rest.

What is your work like? Office work can be anything from reception to serious decision making or filing/running errands. I would say that if your work is light/moderate you should be ok, but if you spend a lot of time doing light physical work, you may find it very tiring.

I hope that helps.

sj

Hello, I was banded on Friday (10/03/08) and returned to work today. I also have an office job and so far have been feeling fine. I am still a bit swollen and sitting for too long is a bit uncomfortable but so far, so good. Just be sure to bring more than you think you need with you! I brought tylenol and packed a few things to "eat" and was surprised to have finished my Protein Shake and lunch (soup) already. Good luck to you!

I have an office job and went back to work after a week. I should have taken two weeks off. It was too soon for me. I was fine for about four hours and the rest of the day was long! It actually was more difficult to sit too long. Try to get up at least every hour and walk. It was 2-1/2 weeks before I felt somewhat "normal".

i always thought i had a high toleration for pain but then again, this was my first surgery. i had my surgery done on a monday and i spent the night in the hospital. tuesday i recovered at my parents house. wednesday i drove myself home and just basically slept until sunday. i was still in a little pain and had to get a refill on my pain meds.

i woke up monday prepared to go into work but i just didn't think i could sit up for that long. i did to back to work that tuesday but i honestly think i could have used 2 more days off. you're not going to be walking normal after a week. there will be twinges of pain occasionally. it may still hurt to stand up and sit down. if you're not planning on anyone at work knowing, you may want to use a couple of sick days...

I'm 53 and could've gone back to an office job full time with 1 week off. However, may I make a suggestion? Why don't you take sick leave if you have it coming, and save your vacation? Many "bandsters" just say they had hernia repair surgery when they don't want their place of business to know they were banded. You should actually be able to just say you are having "abdominal" surgery if you want to. Then the "odd" diet (liquids, mushies etc) make sense.

Just an idea. I used to work in HR and I hate to see you use up your vacation for something that is actually medical!

That way, too, if you need more than 1 week, you'll be in line to extend a little.

Good luck!

Well being that we are all different - I had my surgery on a Wednesday took off that Thursday and Friday - had the weekend and went back to work on Monday and did great have had no problems at all.

Good luck you will do great!

I'm just at 6 weeks and in all honesty I haven't had any problems. No restriction. No nausea. If anything, I feel like I don't even have the band and THAT is a problem because I can (and have, once I was on "solids again) eat anything. The 2 weeks post op where I had to be on liquids (and week 1 was just Water, SF Jello, SF Popsicles, and broth. no Protein Shakes no nothing) was hard, but I've done diets in the past that were as hard or harder.

Everyone IS different. I've taken to this as if I were born to it. I got a fill today and still no restriction but the band IS there. Doc said we'd take it slow and hopes I won't have the issues of PB'ing etc....

So for me there is no downside. I feel happy and hopeful. Some people are depressed. I haven't been at all. I feel optimistic. I know I can probably eat anything I ever could, but once I've lost what I want to, I'll be satisfied on way way less. To me, that sounds wonderful. I'd rather eat a junior burger and a few fries than a double, large fries and a shake. So for me, there's no downside so far.

Sounds like you have had a great time so far. I hope my experience goes as well as yours has. I am a little anxious. I still am wondering how I will deal with the emotions that have led me to over eating. I want to be free of the mis direc ted emotions and be healed of the dependance i have on food as an emotional outlet. Any advice?

Sounds like you have had a great time so far. I hope my experience goes as well as yours has. I am a little anxious. I still am wondering how I will deal with the emotions that have led me to over eating. I want to be free of the mis direc ted emotions and be healed of the dependance i have on food as an emotional outlet. Any advice?

I'm pretty lucky in that when I'm sad or angry I don't want to eat, but I AM a reward eater (and you can tell from my stats that I rewarded myself A LOT! LOL) I went to a behavioral therapist, on my own (not a requirement or surgery or so on) and it really helped me figure out when and why I overeat, and what to do to stop it. Actually if I'd found that therapist 25 years ago when I only needed to lose 50 pounds, I think she would've done the trick for me. But at 200+ I felt I needed more and got the band. That therapy, though, that helped me understand how and when I use and abuse food, was very enlightening for me and I think has helped me be so happy and optimistic about the band. I know therapy isn't for everyone, but behavioral (not the kind where you lie on the couch and whine LOL) therapy has been a wonderful tool for me! :smile2: