Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey! Feeling lost! Thank you to anyone who answers!

Hey,

I have been looking into the lapband surgery for a long time, and I believe that I am the perfect candidate for the procedure from all that I have read. The problem is that I am still in school (only 20) and my insurance has an exclusion of any weight loss procedures no matter what! I have been overweight all of my life, and I know that this is something I will struggle with till the day I die. I know that I can loose weight as I have naturally lost about 50 pounds, but I can't seem to loose anymore and I seem to yo-yo a lot. I want the procedure done because I want to enjoy my life and experience the things I should at my age but my weight (226) keeps me from doing so fully. I am a very happy person, who is goal driven, has a lot of friends, and has had boyfriends, but I know that there is more out there...if only the HUGE feeling of being truly healthy...which I haven't experienced since I was a VERY young girl. At this point I am VERY CONFUSED about what to do because I AM only 20 and I wont have a real job and my own insurance for about at least 4-5 years, and my mom isn't planning on switching jobs...is it worth it to pay for a year or more of insurance on my own....or to just pay for the procedure...or wait?! I don't want to start my life with about 40,000 dollars of debt because of school and the lapband, but I also want to feel like I lived it...not end up a 30 year old unmarried 500 pound woman or a woman who fought her weight all her life did well until she had kids and then at 45 wakes up and realizes she is 376 pounds..idk I don't mean to insult anyone but I worry for my future and I just wanted some input.

And once again, I appreciate anyone who answers back! Thanks a lot!

hi there! I'm 20 and I will be having my lapband surgery on Nov. 20. I've looked at this surgery for nearly 2.5 years, and battled with insurance and finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle and opted for self-pay. I chose the surgery center close to where I go to college, not only because it will make it easier for me to get check-ups but ALSO because their price is about $5,000 less than previous places I had looked at, and in my opinion, it is actually a better surgeon and better hospital (I attribute the low cost to my college being in a smaller town with a lower cost of living).

All in all, I will be paying a little over $12,000, a big sum of money for anyone, not just people our age. In my head, though, I've justified it with the fact that I am graduating early and saving myself that cost of tuition. Also, anticipating self-pay all this time, I've been putting money aside.

Loans and leaving college with a lot of debt can be VERY stressful though, so I hope you can come to a decision where you are healthy without sacrificing your happiness.

Good luck! I don't think I've been of any help but I just wanted to let you know there are people out there in similar situations!

Edited by janesays

I think it is worth it to do it early if you can. Definitely better to truly "enjoy" your college years being healthy and fit.

Of course it is a huge sum of money, specially at 20, but as you get older you will see that it isn't much more than a cheap car and your quality of life is sooo much better . . . there is no doubt that it is worth it financially.

Also, eventhough it is sad to say, I know that it is a little easier to find employment at a normal weight. No reason not to start your career being the best that you can be, and put your weight loss issues behind you.

you have years to make more money. you will be thankful when you ARE 30 that you spent the money when you were 20 and lived a great decade. you want to end up saying "i'm glad i did..." rather than "i wish i would've..." . don't rule out mexico either. great dr's and way cheaper than self pay in the usa. don't listen to all the nay-sayers that bad mouth the dr's in mexico. do your own research and choose wisely. everyone thinks their dr is the "best". the usa does not have a monopoly on quality health care. talk to others on this site that went south as well. i went to juarez and would do it again. good luck.

Hey after reading everyones posts... although that was MY true feelings - You know everyone is right saying to do it while you ARE young to make the most out of everything and to get healthy and stay healthy - it makes a lot of sense - Go for it what ever way you can, but if you are unable do the best you can while you wait.

I was finally banded in 2008. I had wanted gastric bypass since I was like 14, and couldn't afford it. Then when the band was approved in the US, I knew it was the answer for me. But I couldn't afford it. Finally, at 38, I found a way to get it done. It is the absolutely one best thing I have ever done for myself. I really, really, really, really wish I had found a way to do something earlier. If you can, I suggest doing it if you do think its right for you.

Good luck!!