Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me introduce myself

Well, since the web site ate my post ...this is what I remember....

This is my story and I am desperate for suggestions,

Had a lap band put in 12/12/07.

Recheck surgery Jan 3,2008

Feb 8 tried a fill through radiology....did not work

March 7 fill through radiology /argued w/surgeon/fill did not work/ asked records to be transferred/ dr held them back for 2 months

Met new apprehensive doctor May 9

Told to get blood work and an upper GI before I returned.

Dr next available appt July 31 (hopefully my 3rd fill?)

July 31 7:30am office called, canceled appt.

Next available appt, end of Nov. (still never had fill that work)

Decided to call some number off a TV commercial

Amazing when I called for my records, a new doctor was hired and I could get in the next week!

Now it's September 3rd.

Met the new dr, he tried 4 times, long needles in to my stomach trying to "hit" the port. Enough already...stop. I have the ultimate tolerance to pain but enough was enough.

Back to front office to schedule the radiology appt.

I called weekly. They were trying to get me in. ha After the 4th week, no appt. I called and said I am done.

Dr calls...What's up?" I quit. I've never had a fill that worked but when I least expect it, my mouth foams up and I vomit violently. /Just happened 6 days ago when I was at the Neil Diamond concert. We had box seats where you are waited on for dinner. Vomiting can occur anytime, 2 bites of a light meal,,,,,,,,,,,Surprise

Told the dr I want it out. Well, that's not done, they just leave it. But they have no real documented report of the lap band just left in any longer than 10 years.

Out of 10 months of frustration, I've gained 30 lbs. Yep, life sucks.

Now what can I eat? My girlfriend just brought over home grown grapefruit, oranges and some delicious looking apples! I don't prefer juice and why should I have to,,,,,.ya know?

Moderators, please don't boot me off the board. I am very serious and will answer any of your concerns but dr naming will only be done if need be.

Thank you all for reading, if I get removed from the discussion board, best of luck to all.

Lori

I really feel for you. You must be so frustrated. I hope other people can help and give you some good advice. I'm thinking of you!

This is why others should make sure their surgeon has an excellent follow-up plan. Its your body. Meet patients, get online... Not sure what area your in, but there was a company that would take on patients that already have bands. Once you get the band, it is super difficult to get any other surgeon to touch you. Try looking up fill centers of america. You need someone that has a program you can be involved in and not going it alone. Throwing up can damage your band and cause you to need further surgery. So please be careful. If that does happen most surgeons will tell you to go back to a liquid diet for at least 24 hours! Dont even try to see if you can eat or not. Good luck.

Well, since the web site ate my post ...this is what I remember....

This is my story and I am desperate for suggestions,

Had a lap band put in 12/12/07.

Recheck surgery Jan 3,2008 You had a second surgery three weeks after the first?Why?

Feb 8 tried a fill through radiology....did not work Why would you think the first fill would work? Often it can take several and you don;t say what size band or how much fill you had put in?

March 7 fill through radiology /argued w/surgeon/fill did not work/ asked records to be transferred/ dr held them back for 2 months My question is same as above . How much fill?

Met new apprehensive doctor May 9

Told to get blood work and an upper GI before I returned.

Dr next available appt July 31 (hopefully my 3rd fill?)

July 31 7:30am office called, canceled appt.

Next available appt, end of Nov. (still never had fill that work)

Decided to call some number off a TV commercial

Amazing when I called for my records, a new doctor was hired and I could get in the next week!

Now it's September 3rd.

Met the new dr, he tried 4 times, long needles in to my stomach trying to "hit" the port. Enough already...stop. I have the ultimate tolerance to pain but enough was enough.

Back to front office to schedule the radiology appt. Did anyone mention your port was flipped or something like that, so "blind" fills might be difficult.

I called weekly. They were trying to get me in. ha After the 4th week, no appt. I called and said I am done.

Dr calls...What's up?" I quit. I've never had a fill that worked but when I least expect it, my mouth foams up and I vomit violently. /Just happened 6 days ago when I was at the Neil Diamond concert. We had box seats where you are waited on for dinner. Vomiting can occur anytime, 2 bites of a light meal,,,,,,,,,,,Surprise

Told the dr I want it out. Well, that's not done, they just leave it. But they have no real documented report of the lap band just left in any longer than 10 years.

Out of 10 months of frustration, I've gained 30 lbs. Yep, life sucks.

Now what can I eat? My girlfriend just brought over home grown grapefruit, oranges and some delicious looking apples! I don't prefer juice and why should I have to,,,,,.ya know?

Moderators, please don't boot me off the board. I am very serious and will answer any of your concerns but dr naming will only be done if need be.

Thank you all for reading, if I get removed from the discussion board, best of luck to all.

Lori

I don't know why you think you'd get kicked off the board? Have you had a problem here before?

I'm sorry you've had problems with your band. What foods are you able to eat? If you've gained 30 pounds then obviously you don't vomit all the time and some foods are going down.

I understand your frustration. It sounds like you have had poor follow-up care.

It does not sound like you have enough of a fill. The occasional vomitting may occur when you don't have much of a fill if most things go down easy and you eat more like normal instead of "chew to goo" like a bandster. Some things will get stuck occasionally even without a lot of restriction. What were you eating at the concert that gave you the problem?

It also sounds like you may have a flipped port as well, it happens. This should typically be a minor issue unless you have poor follow-up care.

Don't give up on yourself, find a better doctor. If you want this to work and can get a proper fill, you can succeed. Quitting isn't going to hurt the place that did not give you good care (they already got the bulk of their money from the surgery). The only person who will be hurt by you "quitting" is you. If there is a will there is a way.

I don't know about the forum rules as far as posting doctors that have poor follow-up care. If it is OK to post it, I would . . . because it is important for people to know if they will have adequate support or not. For most of us, it is good to hear from former patients rather than the doctors offices (they all say they are wonderful, of course).

Good luck and please let us know if you can find another doctor. If you let us know what city/state you are from we may be able to suggest a local doctor.

Hello

I've not had a chance to get back to the discussion board.

I have decided to move on and I had the last doctor agree to remove the lap band.

I do wish you all good health and happiness.:thumbup:

Lori :biggrin:

Sorry you have had such a bad experience! I had my band in Mexico and I live in Tennessee.. I was very fortunate, however, to get into the Fill Centers USA... They have been wonderful! They call for followups after my fills.. They call between times just to ask how I am doing. I do have the PB, but I just figure it goes with the territory. I guess I am just DETERMINED to get this weight off and get back to living life to its fullest! I have only lost 36 pounds, but it has made a major difference already! I am enjoying my German Shepherds, which we raise, breed, and train. I also just purchased my first Tennessee Walker horse, and I have been riding every day! I am loving life! Hope you find your place and happiness! God Bless!