Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought I Knew What I Wanted...

Hi everyone. I've been on here reading posts for a couple of weeks and I'm so glad I found this site. But I really need some info/opinions. I had my initial consult with my surgeon yesterday. Walked in there positive I was getting the band & not the bypass. He said they're not sure how long a band will last in patients, statistics on it causing erosion or ulcers in the stomach etc. He has done 250 bands & 800 bypasses. I also was worried about my "willpower" because I've read so many posts that show people having alot of frustration with getting their amount of fill right and being able to eat too much. I really need this to be a tool that limits my hunger. Any advice out there? I just feel the bypass is SO complicated and so permanent and I don't like the nutritional deficiencies that go along with it.

Thanks for any input! You're all great.:wub:

Maybe you should go to a different Dr and get another opinion. I had to go to a different city from the Dr that I went to before. I am glad that I went to another Dr and siminar. The 2nd Drs practice had done 750 bands last year compared to 200 that the 1st Dr did. It made me feel better and made me feel like I had made the right decision. Good Luck!!

I understand your delimea. The last question I asked my surgeon right before I was wheeled into surgery was How long does the band last. His response" Ideally a lifetime. The oldest one he implanted has been in place over 18yrs." Its not like a new hip/or knee where it is getting pounded everyday. Sometimes things occur and that cant be helped. You have to decide which option is better for you. Here are the pros I know for the band 1.reversable 2.adjustable 3.less invasive/faster recop time. 4. Not permant 5. Wt loss is more controlled 6. Should not have the malabsorption problems. 7. should you start gaining wt more restriction can be applied.

Pros for gastric:

1. Significant wt loss within months not yrs time

2.Not at high risk for getting food stuck.

Those are the only things I can think of pro wise for that I am sure there are more. You have to chose the one that fits for you. Good luck in your decision.

Maranda

I had this problem, too. Someone said to me that they think surgeons get paid more for gastric bypass though, so this could be the reason for the push. Just sit back and think about it, lord knows we have enough time to.

I am going through the back in forth in my mind regarding both procedures. I know I want and need WLS, but it is the type of procedure I am unsure of. I have being thinking about lap band for over a year now and I was very adament that this was for me. Less evasive, quicker recovery and so forth.

I think my indecision came from some of the negative threads I was reading, plus research reports. But once I started reviewing the positive outcomes for banding, I became more comfortable with my decision to have the banding.

I see the surgeron tomorrow, so who knows my decision could change all over again. :wub: