Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Pre-Op

Hi All,

I am just a few weeks away from my surgery. I am scheduled for October 23rd. I am anxious and very nervous at the same time. I have to start my Liquid Protein diet on the 13th. It consists of liquid Protein Shake for Breakfast and dinner and a small salad with Protein at lunch. Is this what everyone means when they talk about a "liquid diet?"

I'm 2 weeks into my liquid diet with 1 week to go until surgery. My diet is very different and has been a bit challenging. Different strokes for different doctors I guess. Bottom line is follow what your doc says, but it is interesting to see what others are doing. Congratulations and Best Regards!

Consume these liquids in moderation; they contain larger amounts of sugar.

Juice, Gatorade®/G2®, Vitamin Water®, Life Water® or Powerade® – limit to 2 cups (16 oz) or less each day. (Try to choose juices lower in sugar such as apple, orange, or grapefruit).

2. Regular Jello, popsicles, or no sugar added fudgsicles-3 or less servings each day

3. 1 cup (8 oz) of milk (skim, 1%, Lactaid®, or 2%) or 8 oz. Light Yogurt (no more than 110 calories) or sugar free Jell-O pudding or ½ cup cottage cheese - 3 or less each day.

EAS 100% whey Protein (Walmart) or Muscle Milk Light (Rite Aid) or Pure Protein shakes (Trader Joe’s) or Premier Protein (Costco) or No Added Sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast (Target) – limit to 2 a day. Do NOT BUY: Slim Fast, Ensure, Boost- these drinks are high in calories, fat and sugar. If you chose another brand of Protein Shakes, make sure it has less than or equal to 160 calories, less than or equal to 6 grams of fat, 15 grams or more of Protein and less than or equal to 6 grams of sugar.

5. 1 serving (6 oz) low-fat cream based Soup

These liquids can be taken in any amount since they do not contain sugar.

1. Sugar-free beverages such as Crystal Light, Wyler’s Light, sugar-free Kool Aid or sugar-free Tang, diet Snapple, diet sodas (remember you can only have carbonation before surgery, not after), Fruit2O®, Propel®, coffee or tea with sugar substitute, or Water.

2. Broth Soups (chicken, beef, vegetable, miso)- Tomato Soup is not a broth Soup. It needs to be a clear liquid and can NOT contain bits and pieces of meats, tofu, noodles or vegetables.

3. Sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free jello

Edited by Phil

Hi,

I was very interested in the different doctors orders as well because i say my doctor on Wed....and he did not put me on the liquid diet...I started my own portion controlled diet about two weeks ago...but on Wed...my doc went over the surgery details with me, I saw the dietician for post-op ways of eating and that was it. Now I am due to be banded on Wed...Oct. 15th I wonder if this should be a concern to me....Is there anybody else whose doctor did not put them on a liquid diet before banding??? Please respond....I am quite concerned now...

....I am quite concerned now... I have read a couple of posts of others who also were not required to go on a liquid diet. Many of us have had slightly different paths to get to surgery. Though similar, not many of us (who have different doctors) have had exactly the same pre-surgery tests, diets, counseling, waiting periods, evaluations and so on. I think we all get more concerned as any surgery draws closer, that's just human nature. I know in the past I seem to get more than my fair share of anxiety. The only thing I know for sure is there is really only one person who can address your concerns and thats your doctor. Be good to yourself, pick up the phone, call the surgeons office and share your concerns. I'm sure the Doc will clarify this for you.