Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need help with low-cost healthy recipes

I have noticed alot of the recipes on here have alot of ingredients that aren't in the average kitchen. I hate wasting food and that seems alot of what i do when i experiment with new recipes. Does anyone have recipes that with ingredients that can be used in multiple recipes and not be a waste of money.

Also, i tried a recipe on here 'cause i've read that tilapia fish is a mild fish but found it absolutely repulsive! I would love to eat fish but i'm not sure if i want to continue wasting money since i've tried a few different kinds. Any ideas?

Low cost and healthy aren't usually synonymous (SP?)

I have a group of staple foods in my house that are mostly mine as a bandster.

chicken is always a must for me. You can grill, fry it, bake, boil it, you name it. You can season chicken so many ways that the possibilities are endless with it. Another good thing about chicken is you can always make a chicken Soup out of almost nothiing if you have a piece of left over chicken!

If you want to just try fish go get it from a deli by the pound and get a tiny cut. I don't eat much fish since it smells up the house it's horrible.

Shrimp is great for you and yes stinky too lol. I buy a bag of the tiny cooked shrimp and store it in the freezer for quick easy meals. I will just take a handful out and toss it in the pan with some mushrooms (High in protein) and onions with butter and garlic! Yumm and great Protein. I think the shrimps $10 a bag and lasts me 2 months lol

I use alot of tuna. Instead of mixing with mayo I will use tostitos spinach dip (waaaay better for you) or another light dressing... You can mix it with lite mayo and relish too thats very good.

You can get the pieces of seasoned tuna in a package for a couple bucks each and try those as well in the tuna section.

Theres so many wonderful foods out there that we can eat it's unreal. I however am a cook at heart and a volume eater.... so I spend hours and hours in the kitchen cooking as my hobby even tho I can only taste it here and there. I am having a great time finding all the new food flavors that I can meld together.

Edited by Brandy~

If you like eggs, I have lots of simple and affordable recipes. One of my favorite, to have something on the go:

Quiche Cups

Heat oven to 350

Spray muffin pan with Pam or other cooking spray

In a bowl mix 6 eggs - or egg whites

1 cup chopped spinach (you can substitute canned spinach- drained)

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup chopped onion (or not)

dash of sea salt

a few sprinkles of black pepper

Pour in muffin pan and bake until tops turn golden brown. That gives you two quiche cups a day for 3 days. I would not make much more than that ahead of time. Simple and cheap and yummy. You can change up the recipe any way you like.

You can buy a large bag of all natural boneless chicken breasts at Kroger (here it is Fry's) for 8.99. Let the chicken thaw, then boil in a large pot with some oil and salt and pepper. Once the chicken is done, save and freeze the broth for Soups or whatever. Shred the chicken. Divide up into 5 equal parts. (please forgive my rambling- I type the way I think). Use one part for chicken salad. The other part for a chicken/broccoli/cheese casserole. Another part for chicken fajitas. The list goes on and on. I freeze what I don't use that day. My chicken is cooked ahead of time and I can get at least 5 meals out of one of these bags.

I will stop here because I could go on forever...:tt1:

If you like eggs, I have lots of simple and affordable recipes. One of my favorite, to have something on the go:

Quiche Cups

Heat oven to 350

Spray muffin pan with Pam or other cooking spray

In a bowl mix 6 eggs - or egg whites

1 cup chopped spinach (you can substitute canned spinach- drained)

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup chopped onion (or not)

dash of sea salt

a few sprinkles of black pepper

Pour in muffin pan and bake until tops turn golden brown. That gives you two quiche cups a day for 3 days. I would not make much more than that ahead of time. Simple and cheap and yummy. You can change up the recipe any way you like.

This sounds delish how many minutes would until the tops being brown be. I soooo have to try this.:tt1:

mejones - I laughed when I read your tilapia comment. I tend to enjoy fish and know people rave about tilapia but I personally think it has a very odd taste (almost like dirt). I happen to love salmon but really prefer it grilled over baked or broiled. I have had some good orange roughy but in my mind the most mild flavored fish that i have really enjoyed is basa.