Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not filled yet and struggling

Hello--Was just wondering if the banded ppl had trouble maintaining weight prior to their 1st fill. I was banded almost 6 weeks ago and will get my 1st fill this Wednesday. I have healed completely and am struggling with my appetite. I work out every day and still have a difficult time maintaining at this point. Can anyone give me advice or a perspective? THANKS!!

Hello--Was just wondering if the banded ppl had trouble maintaining weight prior to their 1st fill. I was banded almost 6 weeks ago and will get my 1st fill this Wednesday. I have healed completely and am struggling with my appetite. I work out every day and still have a difficult time maintaining at this point. Can anyone give me advice or a perspective? THANKS!!

I am only on day 10, so this is actually from my surgeon's perspective at this point. Because you have not had a fill, your band isn't working for you yet. It is there, but you will have as much appetite now that you had prior to surgery. Until then, any weight loss or maintenance is sure will power. You are doing the right thing by working out. It will help you to burn some of the extra calories that you are able to eat. What my doctor suggests is to continue to follow the band rules (i.e. small bites w/chew chew chew). They said that because you are eating slowing and giving your body time to feel the food, you will still get full faster and on less than pre-band. Also, just remember, Wednesday is around the corner. Keep yourself active and away from the food. Find a low fat, low calorie snack (protein Water, Protein shakes, etc) to help curb your hunger until you get to your sweet spot (which may not be with your first fill). I hope everything works out for you.

It sounds like you are ready for your first fill. It's great that you are exersizing and maintaining your weight. Some people even gained before their first fill, so you are ahead of the game. I was in a honeymoon period after banding so I lost, but I was also dieting. Once you get your fills underway you should start to see some steady weight loss.

good luck

I haven't found this question yet (though honestly, I haven't looked too hard), but can anybody explain why some seem to get filled sooner than others? Is it only about the healing time? Some seem to get their first fill within a couple weeks, and in this case it has been six.

Hi Beth

I think it comes down to the doc or clinics preferred style. My clinic is conservative and so it took me from August to February to get proper restriction. Some of my fills were 0.2.

The plus side of this method is that I never felt too tight and never needed an emergency unfill. From what I have read on the forum, it sounds quite unpleasant.

Another factor is that some docs put some saline in the band during surgery. I started out with 4cc at surgery, got up to 7.5 (I think). I was completely defilled 2 months ago due to TT surgery. I am now at 5cc and I feel I have no restriction. I am getting a fill on Wednesday (yeah!).

Great, thanks for the explanation! That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was a doctor-preference thing or issues with the surgery itself and people's healing.

I'm five weeks out and only lost 17lbs. Lost 15 the first 7 days. My first fill will be on Thursday Oct. 9, hoping that will be the new start for me. I do feel some restriction, only after I stop myself from eating more. When I stand up I really feel full. I only eat a cup of Protein and vegetables. Or a cup of Soup w/meat and veggies. And when I get up I'm so stuff. The weight has been slow. I have a hard time with not drinking liquids 1/2 hr. before during and after meals. I do sip Water inbetween. Not good. But it's hard for me. Can't wait till Thursday. Hope & pray the fill will help me drop the pounds. And I need more excercise. Don't worry I'm struggling also, sometimes I feel I ate to much or the wrong things. Aloha!:crying:.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I am encouraged now that my 1st fill next Wednesday will make a world of difference. :tongue2:

My surgeon says that he is not really concerned about the amount of weight loss during the first five or six weeks. The most important thing about sticking to the diet regimen is to allow the stomach to heal properly and let your system get used to the band. The real weight loss should start happening after your first fill, which in my case is five to six weeks after surgery ( I am scheduled for my first fill on October 29th)