Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bye bye band!

Well just posting to say I had my band removed today laparoscopically. They basically are parallel incisions to the old ones, still five and I must say it went smoother than I even expected. Natch there's a bit of pain but not as bad as when they put it in, meaning the gas pains, port removal site seems to be the worse of them but still happy it was all outpatient and didn't have to spend the night in the hospital!!! Yippee skippee! Anywho I may tuck in every once if you don't mind. Funny thing was I had some apple juice in the day surgery room and on the ride home my stomach was making growling signs and I said to my husband "did you hear that? my stomach is back!" OK I guess you had to be there but it was funny at the time. Thanks for all the support I've gotten here, Nancy.:)

Have you reached goal? Will you put the band back in later or do another type of surgery?

No, right now the goal was getting the band out, lol. I'm not revising, I know this may seem very odd to most people here but I learned a lot about myself during this 13 month journey and I'm trying not to focus on "dieting" but just to be healthy. The band was not helping me in that department and so the removal was the best thing for "me". I actually put on weight in the beginning after my pre-op diet and have come down some now and just really want to get back to walking again and fitting into my pre-op (lap band) jeans although they are not styling anymore but you know what I mean.

I was going to get the RNY like my daughter who is proud to have lost 120 lbs since April but I chickened out and got the lap band. But at this point I do not want to have that surgery or any other type of WLS after giving it much thought and discussion with my family and doctors. Thanks Nancy:smile:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Nanook - It sounds like you made the right decision for you. You sounds happy and relieved. Like GG - we haven't always agreed on everything - but I have always respected your opinion and I do wish you the best. Take care of yourself!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think I went through an angry/frustrated phase because it didn't work for me like it did for everyone else. Thought things would be different but I'm glad to have it out now. Good luck to you both! Nancy.:crying:

I know this may seem very odd to most people here but I learned a lot about myself during this 13 month journey and I'm trying not to focus on "dieting" but just to be healthy.

Hey, you gotta do whatever makes you happy! As I've said before, don't let anybody on the internet drag you down....although I do believe that most of us here wish you well. Good luck, homie!

Thanks Plain, I appreciate it and have thickened up my skin a bit since then, take care Nancy.:wub:

Hello everyone! I am new here. I have the lap band. I got it in Mexico on July 7th 2007. I lost some weight at first(15lbs), but I am back up again. It is not working for me at all. There are things I can't eat....So I eat the things I can and too much of it:bored:. And the Doc. says it has slipped slightly so it is not working properly. I need a stronger tool. I am in the process of getting the band removed and changing to the gastric bypass. Do you think I am doing the right thing?? Tell me what you think. I am happy for you Nanook. Do whatever makes you happy. I know what it is like to live with the band and not have good results. It's really annoying and you feel like a failure. AND it's always on your mind... We are both just still trying to figure out what will work best for us! Much support, Kaeleen

Sorry I can't in good conscious tell you to go for another surgery for weight loss. You'll have to get that from someone else here on line but good luck to you and hope you feel better soon, Nancy.:)

Hello everyone! I am new here. I have the lap band. I got it in Mexico on July 7th 2007. I lost some weight at first(15lbs), but I am back up again. It is not working for me at all. There are things I can't eat....So I eat the things I can and too much of it:bored:. And the Doc. says it has slipped slightly so it is not working properly. I need a stronger tool. I am in the process of getting the band removed and changing to the gastric bypass. Do you think I am doing the right thing?? Tell me what you think. I am happy for you Nanook. Do whatever makes you happy. I know what it is like to live with the band and not have good results. It's really annoying and you feel like a failure. AND it's always on your mind... We are both just still trying to figure out what will work best for us! Much support, Kaeleen

Hi Alaska~~Im kinda new too...I actually am going for the gastric right now havent made mind up 100% but I can gurantee u that at first I was full force into the band no gastric at all...but after hearing how hurt some others are after not succeeding w/ it were and seeing how many people had band slippage it swayed me alot so I signed onto a gastric forum well technically its for both Thinnertimes.com And the forums there are overflowing w/ info about it and once saw peoples success stories and some brought me to tears and actually I guess like people say your spouse is your better half...my hubby was reluctant to agree w/ the band he felt i would give up and it wouldnt give me the results I wanted so that would be another failed weight loss attempt. But honestly thats all I can say Im not gonna dare tell you which to get...I actually finalize everything for myself monday and get my surg date so then I will say 100% that im getting the rny performed rather than the band. I hope this helped u!! Take care all

Nanook:

I'm having my band removed Thursday after only 5 weeks! I have been absolutely miserable and can't live my life like this. If you're still getting these emails I would love to know how you feel now. I want to feel like myself again!

Nanook:

I'm having my band removed Thursday after only 5 weeks! I have been absolutely miserable and can't live my life like this. If you're still getting these emails I would love to know how you feel now. I want to feel like myself again!

Sue,

When I posted there, in 10/08 I had just gone through a frustrating 14 months of living with the band and having issues the main one never losing weight with it. It just wasn't the right procedure for me. I had it removed and lost a bit of weight at first because I could eat normal foods which included healthier ones. Since then I gained a lot of weight as my stomach went back to its old size again and I have since revised to RNY on 6/11.

This time it's working and after about a week post-op the weight just started coming off. I can't eat like I used to and can't eat through the RNY like you can with the band. Once you're full, you're full! I know no WLS is perfect and they aren't always as effective as they were in the beginning but at least I can say I'm losing this time!

Anyway good luck to you, you will make the decision that is right for you whether you're band-free and doing it on your own or you decide to revise to another procedure. Take care, Nancy.:(

SueBB,

I'm another one like Nanook who had their Band removed, and moved to another form of WLS.....one that WORKS for me.

Keep the faith....there IS life after the band. It is possible (likely, in fact) that you were given bad information about what WLS would be right for you. It's not a Buffet where you just choose the one you want; you need to choose the one that will WORK for you, and one every procedure will work for every person.

So don't give up. There IS an answer. Nanook has found hers; I have found mine, and you will very likely find yours as well.

We're all here to answer any questions you might have!

HH :tongue_smilie: