Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be worried ? Anyone who has had a slip ?

Ok I have been dreading this post ! First a little background.

My doc discovered that I am VERY sensitive to fills due to an esphogial problem that I did not know I had caused from YEARS of throwing up from Migraines. So .25cc's of a fill for me is like 1cc . I can get tight very easily and quickly.

For the most part If i get a fill i find out im too tight in about 7 days go in get a slight unfill im fine. No biggie. IF I PB however I have a tendency to swell as well very quickly and it takes me a bit longer to recover than "norm"

So to now, About 3 weeks ago i threw up pretty good. Got swollen went on liquids did ok for a few days , then started all over again ( put my self back on liquids every time i PBed , Finally called the doc on Monday , he said go back on liquids for 3 more days call me Wed if your not better. I did told him im good , can keep things down fine, He said progress to mushies, I did today , I pureed CHILI and IM STUCK !! I basiclaly have not had solid food in almost a month now. Should i be worried i have a slip ? I have a call in to my doc , he is going to want to see me Monday , this was my second fill BTW ( last month ) from a total unfill ( From the same thing ) back in June ! Im very worried, scared and frustrated, Im only 20 pds from goal !! and now this ? Any thoughts ?

Sorry so long

Mindy

Edited by coltonwade

Anyone have an input for me ?

I have slipped my band twice now. Both times, for me the symptoms were very similar to yours. Solids and/or mushies were absolutely impossible for me to get down. If I was lucky, and usually not at all until late afternoon, I was able to get liquids down. The first time I went on like this for quite a while before going in to see my doctor. The second time, which was just recently, I knew after only two days and wasted no time getting in.

Both times, I had a complete unfill and did liquids only for seven days. Then progressed back to solids slowly. Each time, my band did go back into place, for which I am very happy.

Has he done a fluoro so he can actually see what is going on with your band? That is how we determined mine was slipped both times.

I do not know a lot about slips, but thought I might have one a few weeks ago. Unlike your situation, I had never had issue with the 2 fills I had through the 2+ years. I had been totally unfilled in April, for a TT. So I had no fill, ended up with a stomach virus, and threw up seriously for a day....took a long time for the anti nausea meds to take effect.

So I too went to liquids, but everything I drank come right back up. It was like I had a full button, and no matter how slowly I sipped, when it become full----up it come. So I give it a day....doing the ice melt thing, letting as much absorb through the mouth as possible. Next day same thing---by then it was a weekend so I ended up in the ER for IV's. I was super dehydrated, and my band Dr. is 6 hours away! So he made me stay here for further hydration so I could make the trip safely---and I did. I got there, and found out, I did not have a slip---I had a twisted intestine!!! Being banded, I automatically thought it would be band related! He sent me straight to surgery---and while in there, he sutured by stomach into a better position following the drastic weight loss----but my band was fine.

Do not delay for too long, they (multiple Dr.'s were in on this by the time I was done!!!) said I would not have made it much longer, I almost killed myself waiting for stomach swelling to go down, when that was not the issue at all!!!

I hope yours is an easy unfill and fix----but please do not delay!!

I will not ever wait again! Better safe than sorry!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

I have slipped my band twice now. Both times, for me the symptoms were very similar to yours. Solids and/or mushies were absolutely impossible for me to get down. If I was lucky, and usually not at all until late afternoon, I was able to get liquids down. The first time I went on like this for quite a while before going in to see my doctor. The second time, which was just recently, I knew after only two days and wasted no time getting in.

Both times, I had a complete unfill and did liquids only for seven days. Then progressed back to solids slowly. Each time, my band did go back into place, for which I am very happy.

Has he done a fluoro so he can actually see what is going on with your band? That is how we determined mine was slipped both times.

thank you Susan for answering my post. no he has not done a flouro last time he was not at all worried about a slip . He did however totally unfill me because i was getting acid reflux , it just started that day .

He wants me to come in Monday , unless I start to not be able to keep liquids down and he'll have me in this weekend, But right now im fine on liquids, I want him to check under flouro to make sure the band is ok.

Just to make me feel better and he will , he's great about that. My band becomes aggervated so easily and i become so swollen so easily its hard to know .. I have kept him informed , i waited about a week before i called him , But he's informed know's what's going and he's great.

So i'll be in there Monday unless things change drastically .

I have always heard " OH You will KNOW when your band slips " BUT Throwing up as much as i have lately I KNOW is a iffy thing . BUT I also know that MOST Slips can be fixed by unfills. do you know what caused yoru slipps ? Or what lead up to them ?

So thanks for the help

Mindy

I do not know a lot about slips, but thought I might have one a few weeks ago. Unlike your situation, I had never had issue with the 2 fills I had through the 2+ years. I had been totally unfilled in April, for a TT. So I had no fill, ended up with a stomach virus, and threw up seriously for a day....took a long time for the anti nausea meds to take effect.

So I too went to liquids, but everything I drank come right back up. It was like I had a full button, and no matter how slowly I sipped, when it become full----up it come. So I give it a day....doing the ice melt thing, letting as much absorb through the mouth as possible. Next day same thing---by then it was a weekend so I ended up in the ER for IV's. I was super dehydrated, and my band Dr. is 6 hours away! So he made me stay here for further hydration so I could make the trip safely---and I did. I got there, and found out, I did not have a slip---I had a twisted intestine!!! Being banded, I automatically thought it would be band related! He sent me straight to surgery---and while in there, he sutured by stomach into a better position following the drastic weight loss----but my band was fine.

Do not delay for too long, they (multiple Dr.'s were in on this by the time I was done!!!) said I would not have made it much longer, I almost killed myself waiting for stomach swelling to go down, when that was not the issue at all!!!

I hope yours is an easy unfill and fix----but please do not delay!!

I will not ever wait again! Better safe than sorry!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

thanks Kat, I am sorry you had to go through all that. I am doing fine on liquids, I can drink Bolthouse fine, I just had some Soup . And even some ice cream ( Mixed it up well so it was liquidy ) . The last time I called told him " I cant keep liquids down " I was in his office an hour later.

he is quick and does not mess around. he'll see me in his office on the weekend.

I promise if i thought i was in trouble i would be in there now . But I think im good until Monday on liquids. BUT I will go First thing Monday to get the unfill or see waht he says to do

I do want the band checked though to make sure im good

Thanks so much ya'll !

Mindy

My first slip was after I experienced being overfilled for the first time and really didn't know what was going on. I spent so much time bringing everything back up, that it caused the slip.

The second time around, I believe was due to some really bad Chinese food that had me and my entire family vomiting rather violently. Add to that, I had just recently had a fill and was a tad too tight, which made for a bad combination.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I feel for you because I know how miserable being unable to eat anything for so long is.

My first slip was after I experienced being overfilled for the first time and really didn't know what was going on. I spent so much time bringing everything back up, that it caused the slip.

The second time around, I believe was due to some really bad Chinese food that had me and my entire family vomiting rather violently. Add to that, I had just recently had a fill and was a tad too tight, which made for a bad combination.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I feel for you because I know how miserable being unable to eat anything for so long is.

thank you Susan , I really appreciate your input.

I am very careful to not keep myself too tight. My last fill was 8-25-08 and I did not have any issues w/ it at all. And when i threw up it was not really violent but its the amount of times i have done it since then that concerns me. My other concern that I watn to bring up to him is that I do not get stuck , meaning when some people get stuck and stay stuck , I dont, I throw up . (PB) because of my esophagus problems, i just throw up I have to work and work and work to NOT throw up . SO I need to see if there is ANYTHING I can do to fix that ?

Thanks again i'll keep ya'll updated !!

Mindy

Just a quick update. I took my meds this am fine, that's usually a good or bad sign if my meds do or do not get stuck.

My topamax is the size of a birth control pill so if that sucker gets stuck i have issues. And it went down fine this am ! So looks like i'll be in the office on Monday .

Thanks for everyon'es help

Mindy

I go in tomorrow at 345 to see my doc, I am going to ask him to check my band under Flouro ! So we'll see.

I will SMACK HIM If he wants to totally unfill me though !! LMAO I just had that done in June late July ! So CROSS YOUR FINGERS NO TOTAL Unfill , SLIGHT Unfill i'll live with but TOTAL i'll beg scream and kick !!!

Saw my doc yesterday . He checked my band NO SLIP and NO DILATION ! Everything looked good . He took out half a cc so that was good no total unfill , i told him " I AM prepared to kick and scream if you want to totally unfill me " LOL He laughed and said" Not needed "

He told me when i am ready for a fill we will just do .25cc's .

SO 6 more days of liquids and we'll see how it goes.

Mindy

Whew, glad everything is ok with your band! I am sure you must be totally relieved as well.

GUUUURRRLLL I have to tell ya , I was almost positive after talking to you that I had a slip !

SO i was very happy to learn that I did not have one !!!

Thanks for your help in this matter too !