Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inquiring Mind What Like To Know!!!!!

Hello everyone, I am new here and have been considering the lapband for a while now. I am from Houston Texas and really am wanting to find out WHO IS THE BEST DOCTOR???? :lol: I have read so many post mostly good than bad and just want to know who can give me the best advice, but all are welcome. I have a upcoming Seminar and Evaluation scheduled with Dr Speigal and want to get more opition before deciding to choose him. If anyone in the HOUSTON TX area know of a good doctor please let me know. Also to all the people that have been banded please share with me your good and bad experiences I do want to KNOW THE BAD I have read alot about the pain after surgery (I HAVE HAD A C-SECTION SO I AM AWARE OF THAT:thumbs_down:) and also the DIET (I HOPE I CAN SURVIVE THAT :lol:) also the gas (ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW :thumbup:) so please just share more the more the better it will get me through this time. I cant wait to have the surgery just need to know who I should start with I am researching every Dr that I am given just want to come through this ok I have a 4 year old son to live for so this is not only for me but for him to. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Also I am interested in the support groups I am in the HUMBLE AREA!!! :w00t:

I researched all the doctors in Houston (including Spiegel) and chose Dr. Spivak. My final deciding factor was Dr. Spivak's staff vs. Dr. Spiegel's staff. Dr. Spivak's staff is just that much better to deal with. I have actually spoken with a few of Dr. Spiegel patients who went through surgery fine but was very unhappy with aftercare mostly attributable to Spiegel's staff. Check out Dr. Spivak. If you are self-pay I believe they are about the same in cost but if you are going through insurance, you need to check with your insurance company.

Hi thanks for the reply. I will look him up. So how are you doing and when did you have your surgery. Are you loosing fast or slow? And did you have any complications?

I had my surgery on 7/16 and didn't have a pre-op diet requirement. I've lost a total of 17 lbs since the surgery so I guess that would be considered slow but I am hoping it will step up a bit faster after I hit my "sweet spot".

At least I'm not 17 lbs heavier which could have happened since my weight was really climbing fast after quitting smoking in January.

I recovered quickly and had no complications. Dr. Spivak is very proud of the fact that he's had 0 fatalities and very low complications. He does both bypass and lap band.

Wow that really good. I am really excited and I hope it is not a long process. I did call my insurance company (United Health Care) and Dr Spivak is consider out of Network for me so after a 500 dollar deductiable they will cover 70% (not sure what that is). So that is atleast a start. But if I find someone in my network they will cover 100%. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. Did you research any of Doctors or just Spiegal and Spivak? What hospital did you have your surgery at and what time did it start and what time did you leave the hospital?

I researched the length and number of surgeries performed and Drs. Spivak and Spiegel came to the top of the list. I was impressed that Dr. Spivak was also one of the doctors to work with the FDA to get lapband approved in USA and that he taught many of the doctors currently performing the procedure today.

I was self-pay so I was free to choose any doctor. My surgery was performed at the True Results Center and I left an hour after I woke from surgery. Post op they make sure you've passed urine before you leave and that someone is driving you home.

Ok cool! Well I guess before I choose to pay out of pocket I need to see if Dr Spiegal is in my network, if not then I will just deal with paying something out of pocket. Where is the true results office is that in the medical center? Where you in any support groups? Just wondering because I am going to need someone to mentor me through this because I dont know anyone that has done it.

You can go through True Results and several doctors including Spival and Spiegel are on their list or you can choose a doctor and go through the doctor's office. I chose Dr. Spivak and True Results was one of the places he happened to perform his surgeries. Depending on the date, it could just as easily have been at another hospital based on which hospital he was scheduled for that date.

Dr. Spivak has a support group that meets at his office on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month and there are several other support groups throughout the Houston area. I have been to the support group at Dr. Spivak's office a couple of times but didn't feel it was the right group for me. This site actually offers more support and info than the group I was attending.

I have United Health Care and they would not pay ANYTHING for an out of network doctor for weight-loss surgery. If you are in Humble, you should check out Journey Lite. JourneyLite - lapband, lap band, LAP-BAND, LAP BAND, Realize band, weight loss, weight loss surgery, weight-loss, weight-loss surgery, Houston, Tampa, Cincinnati

Unfortunately, they are not a Bariatric Center of Excellence, which was another requirement from my United Health Care insurance.

Good luck in your search!

I went through True Results and they had a doctor that was in my network so assigned me to him. His name is Dr. Hollis. I had surgery in June and have had no complications and really like the attitude of the staff regarding aftercare. They are great!

This website is my support group. I was in the surgery center for a few hours for the 1 hour surgery. They keep you overnight only if it is a requirement of your insurance.

I think you should find out who is in network for your insurance, then research those doctors and see if you like any of them.

Thanks so much! Well I scheduled my seminar for today with true results I am not sure what doctor they will tell me is covered by my insurance. So how many days after the surgery are you out of work I know in order to get short term disablity I have to be out 7 days?

I also forgot to ask about the diet. I know that you may have to be on a diet before and after surgery but are you able to go back to eating what you like after a while I know you wont eat as much but do you have to stick with certain foods for the rest of your life?

Days off of work really depends on each person, I think, and on your surgeon's recommendation, of course. I had no ill effects from the anesthesia but some do, and that can really effect your recovery time.

As far as the post-op diet, each surgeon is different in what he requires after surgery. The first 4-6 weeks are really for healing-letting the band settle into place, letting the stitches that hold the part of your stomach that is wrapped around the band completely heal, letting the swelling go down. Eventually you will be able to eat most of the things you eat now, but you have to listen to your body and band. Many find they can no longer eat soft breads, Pasta, rice, stringy meats, and so on. Some have no problem with them at all. You DO have to change your eating habits though. Healthy foods, with an emphasis on low-fat Proteins, should be your way of eating for the rest of your life with the band. That's not to say that every once in a while you can't splurge and have a treat. But the band is just a tool - it's up to you to learn how to use it correctly and apply it. These forums have a wealth of information on both the good and the bad of lap band, so read, read, read!

Best of luck as you take your first steps on this exciting journey.:)

Thanks so much that really helped me out alot. I really love this site it have taught me so much and it makes me more excited as the days go by. I am really looking forward to starting the whole process.