Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birthday Party

I am having a birthday party for my son tomorrow, he is turning 7 yrs old. So I decided to do it at Chuck E. cheese (since my in-laws are neat freaks and I don't have time to "perfect" my house). It is scheduled for 2 pm so I have time to eat lunch before and I am not tempted to eat any pizza. I also got a veggie platter so there is a healthy option for everyone.

The part I am concerned about is the cake and ice cream. I feel obligated to have some because traditionally that is how a birthday is celebrated. Most of my friends and family know I had the surgury and would understand if I said I can't have any.. I just don't know if I can say 'no'.:lol:

Kymmie, you know your triggers. Would you be able to eat a very small piece and a bit of ice cream without falling off the wagon, so to speak? Personally, if I had the surgery in May, I would have a small piece and take an extra walk later in the day. However, at my support group, one woman who is several years out said she could never have a piece of cake because she's afraid she'd loose control. Judge yourself on your discipline for sweets, and either way, enjoy yourself, and be thankful you won't be cleaning up after the party. haha

Happy Birthday to your son too!!

Kymmie, you know your triggers. Would you be able to eat a very small piece and a bit of ice cream without falling off the wagon, so to speak? Personally, if I had the surgery in May, I would have a small piece and take an extra walk later in the day. However, at my support group, one woman who is several years out said she could never have a piece of cake because she's afraid she'd loose control. Judge yourself on your discipline for sweets, and either way, enjoy yourself, and be thankful you won't be cleaning up after the party. haha

Happy Birthday to your son too!!

I agree 100%. One piece of cake and a small portion of ice cream will not kill you. Unless it is going to be a big issue for you (set you off on a binge of some sort....or have the rest of the cake/ice cream call your name till it's gone :lol: ) That is my biggest problem.

You know yorself best, and what you cna/can't do when it comes to food. I'm sure you'll make the right decision (the fact that you are concerned about it now tells me that) Enjoy the little guys day!!!

Just my 2 cents!

julie

A small portion of icecream won't undo all your hard work, just be careful with the cake, it is awfully bready, so eat it slow to make sure it goes down right.

But at the same time, if you feel you can't say no to them, it might be hard to stop eating once you start. That is how I am. I can't have icecream anywhere around me because I can't stop till it's all gone.

I guess the idea of having any cake and ice cream is making me feel guilty. I know I will be able to control myself at the party when there will be people there who know I had they surgery and shouldn't be eating much. I am just going to have to ensure I don't have left overs, because if I had it at home, I'll be more tempted when no one is around and that is when I would lose control.

If you want some, go ahead and eat, but just a little!

But I've always found that if you are the 'coordinator' of a party (read "mom of birthday kid") that you are running around so much you may not even have TIME to think about the cake.

My SIL had her sons birthday at Chuck E cheese and it was still chaotic, even with the help, that she didn't even have a slice of pizza or cake. She was busy keeping the kids in one place to do the traditions (singing happy birthday, first cut, taking pics, etc). So maybe you'll fall into this category.

Either way, Happy Birthday to your son!! And most importantly, enjoy yourself.

Well we had our daughters birthday there as well and I felt the same way. Good news was, was that the cake was so small there was none left for me and me being the "good host" I made sure all my guests got some before me. So the key is, cut the pieces so big that there won't be enough for you or only enough that you get a small piece. See, piece of cake!

Ditto on the cake being a little tricky. By all means have a small square inch of cake. Being banded is a blessing, not a life sentence. For me, the band is to help improve my quality of life, and celebrating a child's birthday is one of the sweet things in life you SHOULD be enjoying. By all means share your son's special day with him. But maybe have one of your relatives standby as a "monitor" if you feel you could lose control. I find that the square inch of cake is more than sufficient for me, and I'm happy with it. A tablespoon of ice cream will not ruin all your efforts. Think about your son's joy, and that tablespoon will be more than enough.... Have fun!!!