Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Daniel Scott at UTSW, single incision lap band

Hi all. I am still researching doctors, self pay, wanting to have this done just before Thanksgiving weekend. I heard on the news about Dr. Daniel Scott, who is now doing single incision lap bands (rather than the five with traditional laparoscopy). So far his office seems wonderful on the phone. Has anyone had experience with him or with the single incision technique? Supposedly there is less pain, faster recovery, less scarring.

They don't have a single price for self pay...its all broken down by doc, anesthesiologist, hospital. Trying to compare it to all the doctors who offer a flat fee for everything is getting complicated. Anyone else steer these waters? So far he actually seems on the surface to be a very comparable price and his fills are cheaper by far than anyone else ($84-143 versus the normal $250).

Would love information if anyone has it. The idea of a single incision and faster recovery is exciting.

My surgeon's office quoted separate fees too. I was adding up like crazy trying to figure out which package to do with. I'm not good at arithmetic in my head so it was a strain. :tongue2:

I don't know anything about the single incision version of the surgery. It does sound intriguing.

I did wind up adding up all they said and it came to over $20K. MUCH more than anyone else around here! I have chosen to go with another group. Intriguing as the single incision is (and no doubt it will be the wave of the future), paying literally twice as much as other places is not in the cards in order to have it. At least, not for me.

Yeah, in some ways they should be giving you a discount for being a guinea pig, not charging more. :tongue2:

My surgeon charges $14000-ish for a lap band and I live in one of the most expensive parts of the country. $20k seems entirely too high to me too.

I am scheduled to have surgery with Dr. Daniel Scott on November 18th. I am having the single incision lap band procedure, but I am not self pay, my insurance covers the procedure. I met with Dr. Scott in September and will meet him again on the 13th, prior to my surgery. I really liked Dr. Scott, and he was very patient and answered all my questions and concerns at the first appointment. I don't have any idea how much the procedure will cost, I've already met my deductable for the year.

I wish you the best of luck on you lap band surgery.

I also am interested in the single incision.. and I agree, their office is extremely nice.. how has your experience been? Do you recomend Dr. Scott?

Hello, I am interested in the single incision lapband procedure. I am scheduled to meet with Dr. Scott on Tuesday, January 19th. I wanted Dr. Scott originally, he wasn't available until February so I choose Dr. Islam. My appointment with her was canceled because she had to perform surgery on the day of my appointment. I asked who else was available a fortunately for me Dr. Scott was, Praise the Lord, wonderful how that worked out. Anyway, how are you doing since the surgery? How long was your recovery? How soon where you able to return to work?

You will love Dr Scott.. I'm glad I chose him. My surgery went well.. I've lost 40 lbs and kept it off over thanksgiving and christmas, lol. I honestly was hoping to have lost more by now.. but i also know that the reason i havent are because of my own choices.. not the band. The band has been doing its job very well. I was feeling nearly normal just a few days after surgery.. but it's different for everyone! I've heard it's harder if it's ur first ever surgery.. I'd had my tubes tied laproscopicaly so i had an idea of what to expect. Good Luck :()